Old 07-08-2005, 12:42 PM
H Ryder

Default bottling fruit - possibly OT

Sorry if this seems irrelevant to gardening but it is the garden producing
the problem
I have a garden full of fruit which I'd like to bottle. Someone has lent me
a "device" (urn-type-thing) to do this in but I'm struggling to source some
bottles or jars. Does anyone know where I can get hold of bottles or
preserving jars for this? TIA,
Hayley

Old 07-08-2005, 01:02 PM
Mike

"H Ryder" wrote in message
Sorry if this seems irrelevant to gardening but it is the garden producing
the problem
I have a garden full of fruit which I'd like to bottle. Someone has lent

me
a "device" (urn-type-thing) to do this in but I'm struggling to source

some
bottles or jars. Does anyone know where I can get hold of bottles or
preserving jars for this? TIA,
Hayley

Try asking in any hotel or catering establishment. Lots of things come in
glass jars in 'larger than household' volume. If you have ever been or get
the chance to visit a Caterers Cash and Carry, you will see that goods are
in two sections. Quantities in large volume bottles and tins for the
Caterers and cling film wrapped trays of smaller quantities such as jars of
marmalade at 1lb for the shops, but would be 7lbs for the hotels. (Before
someone picks me up on this particular item, yes I know that preserves for
the table now come in a 'one off' sealed form, but we used 7lbs jars etc)

and of course your neighbours. Have you put a note on your gate, "Clean Jam
Jars wanted"? or in your local post office/newsagent's window?

Mike
Who used to collect 1lb jam jars and return them to the grocers for 1d and
2lb jam jars for 2d

Old 07-08-2005, 02:11 PM
Sally Thompson

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 11:42:26 GMT, "H Ryder"
wrote:

Sorry if this seems irrelevant to gardening but it is the garden producing
the problem
I have a garden full of fruit which I'd like to bottle. Someone has lent me
a "device" (urn-type-thing) to do this in but I'm struggling to source some
bottles or jars. Does anyone know where I can get hold of bottles or
preserving jars for this? TIA,

I assume you are talking about actual preserving jars, rather than jam
jars. You can get them from Lakeland Limited:
www.lakelandlimited.co.uk
and this is the particular link (watch the word wrap):
http://www.lakelandlimited.com/is-bi...AADmiC a2gFhP

If the link doesn't work, search for items 3813 or 3814. They do mail
order, and the jars are 6 for £10.75 (half litre) or 6 for £11.95 (1
litre). For bottling fruit, I personally recommend you buy the proper
jars like this rather than use ordinary jam jars, but that's up to you
of course.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church: http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk
Old 07-08-2005, 03:17 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "H Ryder" contains these words:

Sorry if this seems irrelevant to gardening but it is the garden producing
the problem
I have a garden full of fruit which I'd like to bottle. Someone has lent me
a "device" (urn-type-thing) to do this in but I'm struggling to source some
bottles or jars. Does anyone know where I can get hold of bottles or
preserving jars for this? TIA,

Lakeland - but like all things there, not cheap.

For next year, haunt jumble sales and charity shops - you can still get
Kilner rings, though I don't think Sutcliffe are still made.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 07-08-2005, 04:50 PM
pammyT

wrote:

[...]

I'd be interested to know why one should use 'proper' (and expensive) jars
instead of ordinary jars.
My whole life I have preserved fruit , made jam, marmalade, pickles,
chutneys etc etc and always recycled jam, coffee, sauce etc jars. I run them
through the dishwasher and store them ready for use. I even reuse the caps
and lids they came with. In the case of plastic ones, as the hot product
cools, is creates a vacuum , sealing the lid properly.
I have some 4 year old jars of 3 fruit marmalade in my cupboards and it is
as good as when it was first made. And since I notice the blackberries are
ripe already, I will be making some apple and blackberry jam in the next
week or so.And I will be using my stock of odd shaped, different sized, recy
cled jars.

Old 07-08-2005, 04:53 PM
Mike

I'd be interested to know why one should use 'proper' (and expensive)
jars
instead of ordinary jars.
My whole life I have preserved fruit , made jam, marmalade, pickles,
chutneys etc etc and always recycled jam, coffee, sauce etc jars.

So have hundreds and hundreds of people before you, but some do 'like to be
posh' and be of the 'we only use the proper things don't you know'

Mike

Old 07-08-2005, 05:29 PM
Charlie Pridham

"H Ryder" wrote in message
Sorry if this seems irrelevant to gardening but it is the garden producing
the problem
I have a garden full of fruit which I'd like to bottle. Someone has lent

me
a "device" (urn-type-thing) to do this in but I'm struggling to source

some
bottles or jars. Does anyone know where I can get hold of bottles or
preserving jars for this? TIA,
Hayley

If you are anywhere near me we are trying to get rid of a load of old kilner
type jars :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 07-08-2005, 06:51 PM
sarah

pammyT wrote:

[-]
I'd be interested to know why one should use 'proper' (and expensive) jars
instead of ordinary jars.
My whole life I have preserved fruit , made jam, marmalade, pickles,
chutneys etc etc and always recycled jam, coffee, sauce etc jars. I run them
through the dishwasher and store them ready for use. I even reuse the caps
and lids they came with. In the case of plastic ones, as the hot product
cools, is creates a vacuum , sealing the lid properly.
I have some 4 year old jars of 3 fruit marmalade in my cupboards and it is
as good as when it was first made. And since I notice the blackberries are
ripe already, I will be making some apple and blackberry jam in the next
week or so.And I will be using my stock of odd shaped, different sized, recy
cled jars.

I too have some ancient jars of marmalade and jam, not to mention
maturing fruit vinegars. Lovely. The short answer to your question is
that it depends entirely on what you're bottling, how you're doing it,
and whether you know what you're doing. If the fruit is acidic, or you
add acid (vinegar) or masses of sugar, (as you do when making real jam
or chutneys) jam jars are probably ok. For the long answer in exquisite
detail visit rec.food.preserving. Some of them do go over the top a bit,
though.

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:58 PM
Sacha

On 7/8/05 12:42 pm, in article , "H
Ryder" wrote:

Sorry if this seems irrelevant to gardening but it is the garden producing
the problem
I have a garden full of fruit which I'd like to bottle. Someone has lent me
a "device" (urn-type-thing) to do this in but I'm struggling to source some
bottles or jars. Does anyone know where I can get hold of bottles or
preserving jars for this? TIA,
Hayley

I bought Kilner jars from a local ironmonger's shop two years ago, so you
could try that. Or you could do a Google search.
Don't be tempted into using big containers left over from somewhere-or-other
because once you open them, you will have to gobble up the contents very
quickly! Of course, you could always hang out at the local glass skip and
ask people for their old jam jars, pickle jars etc. before they chuck them.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 07-08-2005, 06:59 PM
Sacha

wrote:

Sorry if this seems irrelevant to gardening but it is the garden

producing
the problem
I have a garden full of fruit which I'd like to bottle. Someone has lent

me
a "device" (urn-type-thing) to do this in but I'm struggling to source

some
bottles or jars. Does anyone know where I can get hold of bottles or
preserving jars for this? TIA,

I assume you are talking about actual preserving jars, rather than jam
jars. You can get them from Lakeland Limited:
www.lakelandlimited.co.uk
and this is the particular link (watch the word wrap):

http://www.lakelandlimited.com/is-bi...re/en/-/GBP/Di
splayProductInformation-Start;sid=sEEITv1ZuEqUVr-vtvQESFWZDfQdPGwQ30I=?Product
ID=TEbCy5OSAHIAAADmiCa2gFhP

If the link doesn't work, search for items 3813 or 3814. They do mail
order, and the jars are 6 for £10.75 (half litre) or 6 for £11.95 (1
litre). For bottling fruit, I personally recommend you buy the proper
jars like this rather than use ordinary jam jars, but that's up to you
of course.

I'd be interested to know why one should use 'proper' (and expensive) jars
instead of ordinary jars.

I don't think the OP asked for 'proper' or expensive. She just asked for
jars and Lakeland was one suggested source, that's all.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 07-08-2005, 07:58 PM
Mike

Try asking in any hotel or catering establishment. Lots of things come in
glass jars in 'larger than household' volume. If you have ever been or get
the chance to visit a Caterers Cash and Carry, you will see that goods are
in two sections. Quantities in large volume bottles and tins for the
Caterers and cling film wrapped trays of smaller quantities such as jars

of
marmalade at 1lb for the shops, but would be 7lbs for the hotels. (Before
someone picks me up on this particular item, yes I know that preserves for
the table now come in a 'one off' sealed form, but we used 7lbs jars etc)

It would appear that 'some people' may have thought that I meant for you to
go into the Cash and Carry and buy goods in wholesale format. Not at all, I
was explaining where these larger jars and containers are used, thus go and
visit the catering establishments, FOR THEIR EMPTY ONES :-((((.

Sorry I will use smaller words and spell them out better next time.

Mike

Old 08-08-2005, 12:19 AM
H Ryder

I assume you are talking about actual preserving jars, rather than jam
jars. You can get them from Lakeland Limited:
www.lakelandlimited.co.uk

thank you everyone for the advice . Are these okay to boil? I was a bit
concerned that the rubber rings might melt or something - I'm sure this is a
stupid question but I wasn't sure if these jars with rings were actually
intended for preserving or were just for show IYSWIM

Incidentally I'm not necessarily looking for "posh" jars, it's just that
I've never tried this before, or in fact eaten bottled fruit before, and
figured that my best bet woudl be to try doing it using the "official"
equipment first before embarking on anythign more inventive, that way I'd
find out what it was supposed to look and taste like and woudl have some
basis to compare my future, probably more opportunist attempts to IYSWIM
Hayley

Old 08-08-2005, 10:48 AM
Sacha

On 8/8/05 0:19, in article , "H
Ryder" wrote:

[...]

Kilner jars were used specifically for preserving fruit so I don't think you
have any problems there. The thing would be to go to the Lakeland site and
see what they recommend. Then, if doubts remain, I'd email them or ring
them with your queries. For doing e.g. Peaches in brandy, all you need are
sterilised jars, enough liquid to cover the fruit and an airtight lid. The
ones we've been given don't have any rubber seal and are just re-used large
jars like e.g. Hellmann's mayonnaise jars.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 08-08-2005, 12:05 PM
Sally Thompson

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 16:50:21 +0100, "pammyT" fenlandfowl
@talktalk.net wrote:

-- "Sally Thompson" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 11:42:26 GMT, "H Ryder"
wrote:

snip
[...]

Pammy, I too use and re-use old jam jars (and lids) for my jams and
marmalades, but I have always used the "proper" preserving jars (also
re-using them) for picked onions and bottled fruit. The reason is
lost in the mists of time, but I suppose it's because the preserving
jars are thicker and tougher and perhaps better for the techniques of
bottling fruit, whereas jams etc are not cooked in the jar but merely
poured into hot jars. As I said to the OP, the choice is up to
her/him.

Old 08-08-2005, 02:13 PM
JB

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 12:10:21 +0200, martin wrote:

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 23:19:28 GMT, "H Ryder"
wrote:

I assume you are talking about actual preserving jars, rather than jam
jars. You can get them from Lakeland Limited:
www.lakelandlimited.co.uk

thank you everyone for the advice . Are these okay to boil? I was a bit
concerned that the rubber rings might melt or something - I'm sure this is a
stupid question but I wasn't sure if these jars with rings were actually
intended for preserving or were just for show IYSWIM

Don't you boil with the lids open/off?

I don't boil them but wash through, and then rinse off with boiling
water from the kettle. I then place in a warm oven to thoroughly dry.
The rubber rings I remove before placing in the oven but now you've
got me curious as to whether that's necessary