Old 16-08-2005, 07:05 PM
Tom Atkinson

Default Jack and the Beanstalk ?

Last year I sowed seeds of brugsmania.
I overwintered one and planted it in a large pot in springtime. It is now 9
ft tall having branched at 3 ft. There are no flowers showing. What should I
do.
Tom Atkinson

Old 16-08-2005, 07:26 PM
Cereus-validus.......

Brugsmania is neither a bean nor a vine nor is your name Jack, you dummy.

You probably over fertilized the plant.

All you can do is gnash your teeth in disgust over what you did.

When you are finished doing that, take cuttings for next year.

Old 16-08-2005, 07:48 PM
Tom Atkinson

thanks !!!
I was making a comparison-hoping there might be a pot of gold.!!!
Tom Atkinson
m...

Old 16-08-2005, 09:29 PM
BoyPete

Tom Atkinson wrote:
Last year I sowed seeds of brugsmania.
I overwintered one and planted it in a large pot in springtime. It is
now 9 ft tall having branched at 3 ft. There are no flowers showing.
What should I do.
Tom Atkinson

So that's where my Trifid went!
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 16-08-2005, 11:15 PM
Kay

In article , Tom Atkinson thomas@thom
asatkinson.wanadoo.co.uk writes

Last year I sowed seeds of brugsmania.
I overwintered one and planted it in a large pot in springtime. It is now 9
ft tall having branched at 3 ft. There are no flowers showing. What should I
do.

It seems to like quite a bit of warmth to kick-start the flowering -
once the first flower buds have appeared they carry on appearing
regardless.

Last year was pretty dismal, and my larger plant didn't start flowering
until September in the greenhouse. This year we had a warm spell early
on, and it produced the first flower in July, so I moved both it and the
one I grew from a seed last year out on to the terrace - the older one
has continued flowering but the other one isn't, and I'm considering
moving it back into the greenhouse.

So - make sure yours is in the sunniest place possible. If it still
doesn't flower, then prune it back to a strong shoot - it's easier to
cope with over winter if it's not too big - then next spring, keep it as
warm and light as possible until you've got some flowers coming.

If you fertilise it, use tomato or rose fertiliser rather than general
purpose.
--
Kay

Old 16-08-2005, 11:27 PM
Cereus-validus.......

If you chew the leaves like the stoners do, you will see a lot more strange
things than just a pot of gold.

Old 17-08-2005, 09:01 AM
Martin Brown

Kay wrote:

[...]

Yes. A high potash feed as well as warmth may be needed to encourage
good flowering. Too much nitrogen and you get a lot of lush growth but
no flowers. Mine have no buds as yet been too cold and wet up here.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 17-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Dave Poole writes:

| Once it has reached flowering age, it will produce flowers earlier in
| subsequent years. Most Brugs. are raised from cuttings taken from
| well-established, flowering plants and 3" high slips rooted in early
| autumn, will be 6 - 8 feet high and in full flower by the following
| July. ...

On this matter, my B. arborea is thoroughly non-aboreal. It is
far shrubbier and shorter than any of the others I have grown.
Is this normal?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-08-2005, 11:20 AM
Tom Atkinson

I have 'the brute' in a sheltered part of the garden as it is too tall for
the greenhouse. I have other plants in full flower- a pink one has already
had 10 flowers with another 10 buds-but they are not raised from seed.
Cuttings already taken so it's a matter of wait and see.
Tom Atkinson
"Dave Poole" wrote in message
Tom Atkinson wrote:

Last year I sowed seeds of brugsmania.
I overwintered one and planted it in a large pot in springtime. It is now

9
ft tall having branched at 3 ft. There are no flowers showing. What

should I
do.

Tom, you need to be just a bit patient with seed-raised Brugmansias.
Under glass, it is just possible to get a few late flowers in the
first year from a very early (January) sowing. This assumes that the
parent plant is not a hybrid in which case, the vagaries of the
genetic make-up could lead to early, very late or even (rarely)
non-flowering, on short-medium, average or giant sized plants. My
guess is that provided your 'seedling' is in a warm sunny spot outside
and you help it along with weekly applications of tomato fertiliser (
not general which is a bit too high in nitrogen), you will see a few
flowers in September.

Once it has reached flowering age, it will produce flowers earlier in
subsequent years. Most Brugs. are raised from cuttings taken from
well-established, flowering plants and 3" high slips rooted in early
autumn, will be 6 - 8 feet high and in full flower by the following
July. Folks sometimes get these mixed up with Daturas, which almost
always flower in their first year from seed (always in the case of the
annual types). As a result, they are disappointed to find that seed
raised Brugs. may take a couple of years to begin flowering. After
that, its a case of stand back and admire the spectacular show.
HTH.
Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

Old 17-08-2005, 09:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Dave Poole wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:

On this matter, my B. arborea is thoroughly non-aboreal. It is
far shrubbier and shorter than any of the others I have grown.
Is this normal?

I think the specific name is a bit misleading Nick - especially since
Brugmansia sanguinea can grow at least twice the size. It is
technically a medium to large shrub and I can't quite work out why the
discoverers named it arborea - unless it was discovered and named
before any of the larger species.

The normal size range for arborea is anything from 6 to 15 feet and in
a large container pot it can be anything from 6 to 8 feet (max). It
is one of the hardier species and I know of a nice plant in a local
hotel garden that has been there for at least 15 years. It gets cut
back to around 3 feet each winter and grows to around 7 feet by the
end of summer. The flowers are not as large as those of the aurea
group, but they are produced very freely.

Thanks. Mine isn't in a huge pot, but doesn't seem interested in
growing up, and one (a cutting) is keen on suckering. The original
is only 2', but my B. suavolens and B. sanguinea got to 4' in much
less time. They were MUCH more single-stemmed and upright.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 18-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Ann Heanes

Hi, Just wanted to ask if anyone out there grows the Brug.Sunset? I find
this the earliest of my plants & the most wonderful type. I want to get hold
of double one but so far no luck.
Regards GrannieAnnie

Old 18-08-2005, 05:12 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
It is a very nice Brugmansia and the bonus of the variegated leaves
gives it a long season of interest. I'm pretty sure that Ray and
Sacha have this in stock quite regularly. At one time I did intend to
test it for hardiness here, but never got around to it and there's no
room left to try. So unless I heave something out or move to
somewhere with more space, hardiness will for me, remain a mystery.

As to the doubles, a few nurseries have double white forms of arborea
and/or suaveolens. In the past, I've seen double pinks and yellows on
offer too, so they are to be found. I'm not wild about them
personally and really prefer the unadulterated single trumpets. There
are some incredible hybrids - raised mainly in the US and Germany with
an astonishing range of rich shades. All very, very tempting, but
they grow so big even in a single season, that providing room for more
than 2 or 3 is a major problem, which I've managed to avoid so far.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

David, if I wanted to try them outside in the ground as a throw away plant
next season (I have plenty) how much shade will they do well in. my present
plant in a pot is lovely but its hard to keep fed and watered.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 19-08-2005, 04:45 AM
sienna

Hi Dave, slight correction if I may. b.arborea is a cultivar to
itself. A pure arborea is a smallish five pointed creamy white bloom
with a special fragrance unlike any other brug. To sniff one is truly
mesmerizing. The leaves are pubescent and the plant is fussy almost but
not as bad as sanguinea.

b=2Esauveolens is a different brug. Way back they used to be confused for
one another so now when buying an arborea plant or seeds, one must take
steps to assure it is a 'true' arborea.

Thanks for listening ;-)

Some way to introduce myself , eh ? lol

Dave Poole wrote:
Ann Heanes wrote:

[...]

Winter min -2=B0C. Summer max 34=B0C.
Growing season: March - November

Old 19-08-2005, 08:57 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article .com,
sienna wrote:
Hi Dave, slight correction if I may. b.arborea is a cultivar to
itself. A pure arborea is a smallish five pointed creamy white bloom
with a special fragrance unlike any other brug. To sniff one is truly
mesmerizing. The leaves are pubescent and the plant is fussy almost but
not as bad as sanguinea.

b=2Esauveolens is a different brug. Way back they used to be confused for
one another so now when buying an arborea plant or seeds, one must take
steps to assure it is a 'true' arborea.

I think that you will find that Dave knows that!

Actually, I prefer the scent of B. suavolens to B. arborea, but am
having difficulty getting viable seed of the unmodified suavolens.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.