Old 28-08-2005, 06:46 PM
JM

Default Tree removal

Hi,

I've got a couple of trees that I'd like to get taken out, but before I
ring around for quotes that might be above my budget I'd appreciate if
anyone has a rough idea.

1 Hawthorn ~7-8m
1 Birch ~9m

Just looking for rough ideas, nothing too specific. I'm in Leeds if it
makes any difference.

John.
Old 28-08-2005, 08:43 PM
Emrys Davies

"JM" wrote in message
Hi,

I've got a couple of trees that I'd like to get taken out, but before

ring around for quotes that might be above my budget I'd appreciate if
anyone has a rough idea.

1 Hawthorn ~7-8m
1 Birch ~9m

Just looking for rough ideas, nothing too specific. I'm in Leeds if

it
makes any difference.

John.

Knowing the diameter of the respective trees would be helpful, also
their location. For instance, if they are at the bottom of you back
garden which has poor access and maybe up against a neighbour's fence,
that would add considerably to the cost of removal. You may want the
stumps to be ground out and that can be expensive.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 28-08-2005, 09:29 PM
JM

Emrys Davies wrote:
"JM" wrote in message

Hi,

I've got a couple of trees that I'd like to get taken out, but before

ring around for quotes that might be above my budget I'd appreciate if
anyone has a rough idea.

1 Hawthorn ~7-8m
1 Birch ~9m

Just looking for rough ideas, nothing too specific. I'm in Leeds if

it

makes any difference.

John.

Knowing the diameter of the respective trees would be helpful, also
their location. For instance, if they are at the bottom of you back
garden which has poor access and maybe up against a neighbour's fence,
that would add considerably to the cost of removal. You may want the
stumps to be ground out and that can be expensive.

That's the sort of info that I need to know :-)

Both trees are right in the middle of the back garden. Access is
relatively good (car port then gate in fence).

The trees are pretty mature. Both trees' span aroud 4-5m at their
widest points, although they're not too dense.

If possible, I'd like the stumps ground out but it obviously depends on
cost.

I'm only really looking for rough figures at the moment - e.g. a couple
of hundred vs a couple of thousand :-)

John.
Old 28-08-2005, 09:45 PM
pammyT

"JM" wrote in message
The trees are pretty mature. Both trees' span aroud 4-5m at their
widest points, although they're not too dense.

Teehee, when someone asks the diameter they don't mean the whole tree, they
mean the trunk.

Old 29-08-2005, 10:16 AM
JM

pammyT wrote:
"JM" wrote in message

The trees are pretty mature. Both trees' span aroud 4-5m at their
widest points, although they're not too dense.

Teehee, when someone asks the diameter they don't mean the whole tree, they
mean the trunk.

You see why I have to ask for advice :-)

Birch is around 15cm in diameter, Hawthorn splits into two 'trunks'
close to the ground, one around 10cm, another a bit less.

Old 29-08-2005, 10:19 AM
JM

Janet Baraclough wrote:
What makes a difference, is the amount of clear space round about
each tree. For instance, if your 9m birch stands alone in a clearing 20
m across, then some not very skilled uninsured odd-jobber can fell it
with one cut and chop it up very quickly. If it's standing within a
couple of metres of your greenhouse, the neighbour's conservatory, a
public street, a power line, and your precious collection of rare shrubs
then it will have to be taken down very carefully in sections by someone
skilled and properly insured.

A take-it-down-in-sections job I'm afraid.

A significant part of the cost, will be disposal. If you are able to
burn the debris on site, or can use or give away the logs for firewood,
you only need pay someone for the time and skill to fell it.

I *might* be able to give away the logs, but can't guarantee it.

John.
Old 29-08-2005, 10:59 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from JM contains these words:

I *might* be able to give away the logs, but can't guarantee it.

If you live anywhere near me you could give them away!

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 29-08-2005, 01:37 PM
H Ryder

I *might* be able to give away the logs, but can't guarantee it.

you may find that they quickly disappear if you just leave them in the
garden with a sign saying "free logs".

we have just had a couple of quotes for tree dismantling and removal
(Somerset). One is a brambly apple, near our house and a fence, about 10
inches trunk diameter with a rose through it. The other is a weeping birch,
slightly smaller. For both we were quoted about £230 removal (i.e. this
covered taking out both trees at once) (one guy knocked off £30 if we kept
the "bits") and about £120 for stump removal. HTHs,
Hayley

Old 29-08-2005, 09:25 PM
chris French

In message , JM
writes
pammyT wrote:
"JM" wrote in message

The trees are pretty mature. Both trees' span aroud 4-5m at their
widest points, although they're not too dense.

Teehee, when someone asks the diameter they don't mean the whole
tree, they
mean the trunk.

You see why I have to ask for advice :-)

Birch is around 15cm in diameter, Hawthorn splits into two 'trunks'
close to the ground, one around 10cm, another a bit less.

so not very big then.

I've never had anything like this done, but the house we now live in the
previous owner had some serious lopping of 3 largish tree's done and the
bill (he left it behind with the paperwork) was something like GBP 190.
(lop, remove brush, saw and leave logs)

So you are talking a some hundreds I guess rather than 1000's
--
Chris French

Old 30-08-2005, 11:21 AM
newsb

In article , chris French
writes

I've never had anything like this done, but the house we now live in
the previous owner had some serious lopping of 3 largish tree's done
and the bill (he left it behind with the paperwork) was something like
GBP 190. (lop, remove brush, saw and leave logs)

So you are talking a some hundreds I guess rather than 1000's

I've got a local tree surgeon coming round in a week or so to do a major
tidy up on a tree of heaven, remove two largish elders and remove three
(smallish) sumacs. He'll take everything avay and grind stump where
necessary. Not using poison on the sumac roots, so it'll be hand
pulling shoots for a while

He's charging what I consider to be a real bargain - £150 to do the lot.
He is qualified and insured. I think its the being local that makes
some of the difference - and the fact that he's a nice guy

Two other quotes we had were £290 + Vat and £450 + Vat.

--
regards andyw

Old 30-08-2005, 12:03 PM
Dean

A significant part of the cost, will be disposal. If you are able to
burn the debris on site, or can use or give away the logs for firewood,
you only need pay someone for the time and skill to fell it.

I *might* be able to give away the logs, but can't guarantee it.

Try your local freecycle site, www.freecycle.org is the main page, go there
and then look for the uk site Im sure there's one in or around your area.
it's a wonderful way todispose of your unwanted's. I use it a lot here in
Ireland but there are sites worldwide and it's getting bigger. It's
completely free, no money changes hands at all, you give away what you
don't want and you'd be surprised what you can pick up. "One mans rubbish is
another mans gold" as the saying goes.
Im not affilitated in any way with the site, just your ordinary joe who has
used it and is impressed.
Dean

Old 31-08-2005, 10:43 AM
newsb

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from newsb contains these words:

You won't do any harm to your own garden or wildlife, pets etc by
applying a systemic root-killer to the sumach stumps. Cover the streated
stump with a tied-on plastic bag if you want. It will save yourself (and
possibly, your neighbours) a great deal of hassle. Some people have an
allergic skin reaction to sumach shoots, so it's not a plant whose
suckers you want to inflict on neighbour's garden.

Sorry - longish post:

Despite the fact that the new neighbours have inflicted their young bird
catching cat on us, a good point - although the existing suckers are
restricted to our garden atm. I don't have a major issue with using
appropriate chemicals in closely defined and considered areas - but I
was quite prepared to spend a lot of time up-suckering. (There are
loads at the moment - in "lawn" and beds - I guess they will increase
once the main trunks are shaved).

That said, I don't want to do it. Having chased sumac root before when
upsuckering, they go all over the polace and always end up with a root
that is either too big or damaging to pull up, or the outer skin of the
root slips off, leaving a white very slippery customer.

Whilst not particularly affected by sumac sap, it is horribly sticky.

All in all then, its good to have been persuaded to cut out all this
future work, pain and anguish

Would glyphosate work on stumps - or does it need something like SBK
Brushwood? (I haven't looked at the latter recently to see what
lingering effects it might have on the area).

I'll be sad to see the sumacs go - for a few days in autumn when the
leaves are quite glorious. However, I'll grit my teeth and just have to
put up with being much happier for the rest of the year

One of them in poarticular is somehow right next to a lovely little
apple with the sweetest, tastiest fruits. I'm pretty sure that its not
doing the apple much good. Although a lot of care and attention do seem
to be paying dividends on the apple, I'll feel much happier when it has
more of its own space. (I presume carefully applied glyphosate would be
fine - would it or sbk cause problems for adjacent plants which I guess
must have roots amongst each other?)

--
regards andyw
Old 31-08-2005, 12:24 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from newsb contains these words:

Would glyphosate work on stumps - or does it need something like SBK
Brushwood? (I haven't looked at the latter recently to see what
lingering effects it might have on the area).

Glyphosate would not work, and I haven't used SBK for upwards of twenty
years, so I don't know.

I'll be sad to see the sumacs go - for a few days in autumn when the
leaves are quite glorious. However, I'll grit my teeth and just have to
put up with being much happier for the rest of the year

Grow some in big planters.

Old 31-08-2005, 12:42 PM
Martin Brown

newsb wrote:

[...]

Don't assume that will always be the case. You can still get sensitised
to it if you are unlucky. Wear gloves. Other members that plant family
Toxidendron include poison oak and ivy and are very nasty (like as in
chemical weapons level irritation) and the Japanese lacquer plant. eg

http://www.ibiblio.org/london/orgfar...n-ivy-exudates

Don't burn the green wood - the smoke is bad news.

All in all then, its good to have been persuaded to cut out all this
future work, pain and anguish

Would glyphosate work on stumps - or does it need something like SBK
Brushwood? (I haven't looked at the latter recently to see what
lingering effects it might have on the area).

I'd be more inclined to use root out which decomposes fairly harmlessly
after killing the roots. A combination of physical removal and
weedkiller is generally the optimum solution.

I'll be sad to see the sumacs go - for a few days in autumn when the
leaves are quite glorious. However, I'll grit my teeth and just have to
put up with being much happier for the rest of the year

I have never had that much trouble with sumac suckering, but was always
careful never to encourage it by disturbing the roots.

Regards,
Martin Brown