Old 11-10-2005, 11:54 AM
Tim C.

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:19:39 +0200, martin wrote:

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:05:23 +0200, "Tim C."
wrote:

Exactly my feelings too.
All the apples here (Austria) seem to cook down to a mush. Great for
compote but that's it.

Ditto the potatoes.

Erdapfel strudel? :-)

--
Tim C.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:33 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message 1129027885.303c92d4614336668895b334a9134915@teran ews
from "Tim C." contains these words:
wrote:

Exactly my feelings too.
All the apples here (Austria) seem to cook down to a mush. Great for
compote but that's it.

Ditto the potatoes.

Erdapfel strudel? :-)

Geldenwonderstrudel...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 11-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Tim C.

wrote:

Exactly my feelings too.
All the apples here (Austria) seem to cook down to a mush. Great for
compote but that's it.

Ditto the potatoes.

Erdapfel strudel? :-)

Geldenwonderstrudel...

Sweet version:
Erdapfelstrudel (potato strudel)

500 g Potatoes (boiled and allowed to cool, or leftovers)
a little flour
1 egg
1 pinch Salt
250 g sour Apples, sliced.
fat (ideally pork dripping) /butter/margarine
sugar
Raisins (optional)

Roughly mash the cold, boiled potatoes.
Add the salt, the egg and enough flour to make a soft pastry.
Roll out the pastry thinly and spread the fat/butter evenly over the top.
Then place the apple slices all over the pastry. Sprinkle sugar and raisins
over the apple to taste.
Carefully roll the pastry up and place on greased baking tray and backe un
a moderate oven until golden brown.

OR

Savoury version:

serves 4.

for the strudel pastry:
150 g plain flour
80 ml water; lukewarm
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp vinegar
2 tbsp oil

for the filling:
400 g floury potatoes
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1/2 bunch Parsley, chopped
50 g smoked, *dried* bacon. Cut in to 3-5mm dice. (optional - any
smoked bacon will do)
Salt, pepper
nutmeg
4 egg yolks
Butter

also :
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp Milk mixed together.
to brush the strudel.

Pastry:
Add all the pastry ingredients together and mix until the pastry comes
cleanly away from the bowl. Then knead well. Form pastry into a ball, brush
with oil and place in a bowl, covered a warm place to rest for 30 minutes.

The filling:
Peel the potatoes, and boil half in salted water. When cooked mash roughly.

Fry the bacon in a *small* amount of oil until the fat starts to come out.
Add the onion and parsley and fry until onions slightly glazed.
Add the contents of the pan to the potatoes. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to
taste. Add the 4 egg yolks to the potato mixture and mix well.

Dice the remaining half of the potatoes (about 1/2" in size ) and fry in
butter until crisp. Add these to the potato mixture.

Flour a work surface and roll out the pastry until quite thin.
Spread the potato mixture evenly over the whole pastry. Carefully roll up
to form the strudel. (It should look like a large Swiss roll, rather than a
sausage roll).

Place on a greased baking tray, brush with the egg yolk and milk and bake
in pre-heated oven at 200°C for 30 mintues.

--
Tim C.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:02 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains these
words:

wrote:

Exactly my feelings too.
All the apples here (Austria) seem to cook down to a mush. Great for
compote but that's it.

Ditto the potatoes.

Erdapfel strudel? :-)

Geldenwonderstrudel...

Hey! I deleted that before sending!

Consider this message unsent, but correctificulated to 'Goldenewonderstrudel'.

Old 11-10-2005, 03:34 PM
Tim C.

wrote:

Exactly my feelings too.
All the apples here (Austria) seem to cook down to a mush. Great for
compote but that's it.

Ditto the potatoes.

Erdapfel strudel? :-)

Geldenwonderstrudel...

Hey! I deleted that before sending!

Consider this message unsent, but correctificulated to 'Goldenewonderstrudel'.

I guessed ;-)

--
Tim C.

Old 11-10-2005, 04:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades writes:

| Geldenwonderstrudel...
|
| Hey! I deleted that before sending!
|
| Consider this message unsent, but correctificulated to 'Goldenewonderstrudel'.

Actually, I preferred the original. A less sexy apple could hardly
be imagined ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:43 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:
wrote:

Exactly my feelings too.
All the apples here (Austria) seem to cook down to a mush. Great for
compote but that's it.

Ditto the potatoes.

Erdapfel strudel? :-)

met slagroom.

Is that what's left in the pan after you've burnt the mushrooms?

Or the one with the red light in the window?

Old 12-10-2005, 07:51 AM
Tim C.

wrote:

Exactly my feelings too.
All the apples here (Austria) seem to cook down to a mush. Great for
compote but that's it.

Ditto the potatoes.

Erdapfel strudel? :-)

met slagroom.

Yep. slurp. At least the sweet version. You can add cream to the filling in
the savoury recipe.
--
Tim C.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:02 AM
David Rance

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 martin wrote:

Erdapfel strudel? :-)

met slagroom.

Come on, folks, you're getting your languages hopelessly mixed!

If it's "Erdapfel strudel" then it might be with "Schlagobers".

But with "Slagroom" it would be "aardappelstrudel" (if the Dutch know
what a strudel is! They don't seem to have a word for it.).

David (the pedantic)

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 12-10-2005, 03:10 PM
J Jackson

Brian --- 'flayb' to respond wrote:

: My all time favourite is Court Pendu Plat~~Brought by the Romans~~but
: will not grow for me.[flowers in June]

I have C.P.P. growing as an espalier. I'm not sure about June, but
certainly it is by far the latest flowerer I have, and in years when other
apples are flowering early CPP has nothing to pollinate it. This year hard
weather compressed the apple blossom period and it got pollinated!
I have to say, I have not been impressed with the few previous apples I've
had off the tree - but later this year I'll have a proper test.

: Apples grown in Sweden are pathetic and resemble our June-drop at best.
: They still use them!

I have a July drop (Wakefield/Leeds Yorkshire, at just under 400ft), no
doubt the swedes being even more north have a sept/oct drop :-)

Old 12-10-2005, 03:35 PM
J Jackson

Kay wrote:

: Are all codlins cookers? I know Keswick Codlin, *huge* and baking to a
: delicious soft fluff. Scotts says 'Keswick Codlin, like all the codlins,
: immensely prolific and reliable' so there must be other codlins.

These are the large green/yellowish fruit often fluted? Like Catseye and
rev wilkes and lord derby?

Jim
Old 12-10-2005, 04:36 PM
Kay

In article , J Jackson
writes
Kay wrote:

: Are all codlins cookers? I know Keswick Codlin, *huge* and baking to a
: delicious soft fluff. Scotts says 'Keswick Codlin, like all the codlins,
: immensely prolific and reliable' so there must be other codlins.

These are the large green/yellowish fruit often fluted? Like Catseye and
rev wilkes and lord derby?

Long time since I've seen them - I just remember them as huge and round.

--
Kay

Old 12-10-2005, 06:07 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from J Jackson contains these words:
Kay wrote:

: Are all codlins cookers? I know Keswick Codlin, *huge* and baking to a
: delicious soft fluff. Scotts says 'Keswick Codlin, like all the codlins,
: immensely prolific and reliable' so there must be other codlins.

These are the large green/yellowish fruit often fluted? Like Catseye and
rev wilkes and lord derby?

The ones we had in two gardens (in succession!) were quite large without
being gigantic, plump and a bit pointed at the 'free' end, green,
ripening to gold.

Cooked to a fluffy pulp - dryer than Bramley, which is more like apple
sauce when cooked.

Old 12-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Brian

"J Jackson" wrote in message
Brian --- 'flayb' to respond wrote:

: My all time favourite is Court Pendu Plat~~Brought by the

Romans~~but
: will not grow for me.[flowers in June]

I have C.P.P. growing as an espalier. I'm not sure about June, but
certainly it is by far the latest flowerer I have, and in years when other
apples are flowering early CPP has nothing to pollinate it. This year hard
weather compressed the apple blossom period and it got pollinated!
I have to say, I have not been impressed with the few previous apples I've
had off the tree - but later this year I'll have a proper test.

It doesn't begin to ripen before Christmas. You will know 'when' as
the perfume is strong. CPP only really grows well in the best apple
counties. Herts. was the best I've known but Hereford and Shrops. should
equal.
Best Wishes Brian

:
: