Old 29-10-2005, 03:46 PM
capstan

Default Garden School

I can't watch this anymore. I find it just too embarrassing and
uncomfortable to watch.

If I were a participating student, having committed myself and family to a
lengthy and, probably, costly
undertaking I would definitely want assurance that the course has at least a
professional teaching format, with a planned and structured format and with
a lecturer who gives an aura of confidence in the venture.

I find the whole thing toe-curlingly amateurish because Gavin gives the
impression that he has no course plan or schedule (he must have of course)
but he tells that he hasn't a clue whether it all might fold into a big
mistake ?

Ballroom dancing ......Good God.
But then I suppose they're fox-trotting all over the place down at RHS
Wisley.

Sorry, I can't think of a single reason why I should have to suppress the
urge to throw things at the telly !

Capstan.......in a minority again I suppose.

Old 29-10-2005, 05:01 PM
JennyC

"capstan" wrote in message
[...]

Well we are a minority of two - It's ghastly!
I watched the first one and thought ummmmmmmm, we'll see what happens next
week.......turned if of after 5 minutes :~))

I like Dairmunds gardens but he's a crap teacher/organiser!

Jenny

Old 29-10-2005, 07:44 PM
Rupert

"JennyC" wrote in message

"capstan" wrote in message
[...]

Make that 3. Although Dairmunds ok at design he is a wooden presenter and
relies on a background crew for any organisation.

Old 30-10-2005, 10:26 AM
Flower Bobdew

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

I like Dairmunds gardens but he's a crap teacher/organiser!

My impression is absolutely the opposite. He's got great potential as
a teacher.

He's clearly got the potential to delegate to other teachers.

For me, the jury's out in terms of Diarmuid as a teacher - although I'm
interested to see how things pad out. He's certainly an alternative
thinker, but whether he can express this idea and psyche as a teacher
and keep everyone onside will be interesting. By definition, you have to
be very adaptable, as an individual, to accept this form of thinking and
teaching. As soon as you begin to question it, logically/structurally,
it'll never likely 'feel' right. [And Diarmuid won't be able to explain
that away too convincingly either - as most of his nature is innate and
car crash by definition. I had to laugh when he took a pop at the their
timing/organisational skills on their garden design, as I'm sure anyone
who saw Diarmuid's attempts to conform to those characteristics would've
appreciated following his Chelsea design! ]

The student activities so far suggest he *had* planned each one
meticulously in advance (hiring dance and drawing teachers)

Quite! To coincide with Diarmuid's 'vague idea' perception, they've
seemingly suggested a thrown together, chaotic nature, so far. But the
activities they've taken in to date would actually suggest the complete
opposite.

with a clear, valid teaching outcome in mind, which succeeded pretty
well. Each one builds on the previous ones quite skillfully. I think
that's an effective and surprisingly creditable start.

I'm in 100% agreement here.

Albeit the cynic in me was thinking... Whose garden was that that needed
digging over? And what a very convenient, cheap way to do it!

--
Flower Bobdew
South Facing Garden
Old 30-10-2005, 11:13 AM
La puce

Rupert wrote:
Make that 3. Although Dairmunds ok at design he is a wooden presenter and
relies on a background crew for any organisation.

Make that 4. Having worked on tv for 9 years, from administration to
floor staff, I know too well the kind of programme format a producer
would take simply to make viewers numbers. We've had our flying
gardeners and our naked chefs. There's certainly some continuity with
this programme but it's not for me. I find DG with no qualities as a
presenter, (I can't understand what he says most of the time). I find
him a rebelious guy who is totally lost in his designs, a follower of
fashion, desperately trying to impress with excentric unsustainable
ideas. It's rubbish and terribly frustrating. I've been on an RHS
course for two years now and this programme has no learning aspects to
it.

Old 30-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Registered User

Make that 5. DG's designs bring tears to my eyes. It's not about plants, but great slabs of concrete and metal. Bad gardener, deperate format, painful programme! I couldn't watch more than 3 minutes.

Why are there no gardening programmes for kids? Has there ever been one? Last week's gardeners world 'pumpkin trial' results showed that loads of childers watch the programme, and it's all good clean outdoor fun.
Old 30-10-2005, 08:44 PM
Kay

In article , undergroundbob
writes

Make that 5. DG's designs bring tears to my eyes. It's not about
plants, but great slabs of concrete and metal. Bad gardener, deperate
format, painful programme! I couldn't watch more than 3 minutes.

Why are there no gardening programmes for kids?

Isn't Titchmarsh or someone planning an excruciating garden gnome thing?
Or have I imagined that?

Old 31-10-2005, 01:02 PM
Sue

"Kay" wrote
undergroundbob writes
Why are there no gardening programmes for kids?

Isn't Titchmarsh or someone planning an excruciating garden gnome thing?
Or have I imagined that?

I know it sounds surreal but it's true! It's a kids' cartoon. I saw loads
of trailers for *that* a while back whereas the Big Dig lottie one got nary
a mention.

--
Sue

Old 31-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Registered User

Location: Manchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay

Isn't Titchmarsh or someone planning an excruciating garden gnome thing?
Or have I imagined that?
perhaps your thinking of the cbbc cartoon (name escapes me) which he does a voiceover for a gnome

had similiar issues with garden school, i stupidly had hopes it would go into detail on the how's and the why's of gardening. for example the clearing of the small domestic garden and double digging didn't have enough explanation. i know the reasons myself, but for people wanting to learn its not giving any insights, and is more focused on spending a day on a beach throwing wallpaper across the sand. i found it unintentionally halirous and pretenious in equal measure
Old 31-10-2005, 02:03 PM
La puce

Janet Baraclough wrote:
MMhm. I have the impression that DG is not much of a people person
and suspects he might not be able to get the group onside. However, he
would not be the first teacher to discover that (deliberately) playing
the outsider, can unite a disparate class into surprisingly effective
unity and self-determination. There were distinct signs of that
strategy being used to positive effect on the heavy dig :-)

This is the usual strategy one uses when one is a good teacher. If you
give all the responses and do all the work then no one learns.

I couldn't agree more, but I also think he sees that adaptability and
flexibility as the basic prerequisite for an adult's successful
career-change into that field. So, he's deliberately pushing them in
that direction, to winnow out the chaff at an early stage.
We'll see. I'm entertained to see who's a worker, and who isn't.

I wish you could see as much from the responses of your fellow posters
than you do from a bunch of individuals in a gardening television
programme. I'm not one to complain much, I'm determined, I've adapted,
I'm flexible, I'm career changing and I'm a hard worker, but I'm still
sore from your warm welcome into this forum. Are you a retired teacher?

Old 31-10-2005, 02:49 PM
La puce

undergroundbob wrote:
Make that 5. DG's designs bring tears to my eyes. It's not about
plants, but great slabs of concrete and metal. Bad gardener, deperate
format, painful programme! I couldn't watch more than 3 minutes.
Why are there no gardening programmes for kids? Has there ever been
one? Last week's gardeners world 'pumpkin trial' results showed that
loads of childers watch the programme, and it's all good clean outdoor
fun.

Off course it is. But this doesn't make money. It doesn't bring
thousands of people to garden centres. And look at horticultural
courses across the country. They don't attract the young but the older
adult with a career change in mind, or someone with design or landscape
skills.

Last year I had started a practice skills course at the same time as
the RHS general. After 6 weeks it closed down because our group didn't
make the numbers and this wasn't worthwhile for the college. We were 14
adults, 5 were travelling 4 hours plus daily from home to attend. We
fought the college, we needed more explanation. We didn't get any
beside that we had to be 15 of us to make it work. At the same time
they created 3 more classes for the beauty therapist and nail painting
sessions.

At my first year RHS, 4 lads came reluctantly to the course, were very
disruptive and didn't give a fig about anything. They had to have the
necessary levels to find employment - they thought gardening would be
easy. Unfortunately for them there's more to it than just cutting the
grass. Needless to say we haven't seen them again this year.

So now, with children not able to identify a courgette from a celery
stick, with the public at large thinking gardening is all about
decking, with our public parks strugling to keep open and safe for all,
we have gardening programme about to revolutionise the wall paper
industry. It's a funny world indeed )

Old 31-10-2005, 02:57 PM
Judith Lea

In article .com, La
puce writes
I wish you could see as much from the responses of your fellow posters
than you do from a bunch of individuals in a gardening television
programme. I'm not one to complain much, I'm determined, I've adapted,
I'm flexible, I'm career changing and I'm a hard worker, but I'm still
sore from your warm welcome into this forum. Are you a retired teacher?

Actually, Janet is a very nice person who, I am sure, would never
intentionally upset you - she has taken a fair bit of unfair flack from
some unpleasant posters and perhaps this makes her suspicious at times -
quite a natural reaction to one or two nasty posters with more time on
their hands than sense. Janet is a straight talking person. I have
never know her to be unkind - and she is a font of knowledge with regard
to gardening. She has helped me many times in the past when I was very
new to urg and believe me I tried the patience of a saint - never once
did she berate me for my foolish questions but always encouraged me - I
am really fond of her - start off your relationship with her again, I
don't know what went wrong, but I do know, where possible she will try
to help you with good advice.

p.s. welcome to urg - I tend to lurk more these days but I still take
all good advice where appropriate.
--
Judith Lea
Old 31-10-2005, 06:11 PM
capstan

I don't reply to email from lurkers commenting on my posts to urg. I
suggest you re- post your message here, that's how newsgroups work.

Janet

I sincerely apologise for sending my reply to you direct instead of to the
group.
I wasn't concentrating at the time, in fact daydreaming, and pressed the
wrong Reply tab. What must you be thinking of me.
I made a mistake; made a complete mess of it, but then as a mere male I find
I often do. Goodness me I remember I once made one back in 2003.
You can be assured that I am suitably admonished and humbly beg your
forgiveness.
I promise Miss to do everything possible to not repeat the mistake, and I
will certainly not have the brass-necked temerity to disagree with your
posts again.
I know when I am in the presence of a superior being.

Old 01-11-2005, 06:58 AM
La puce

Judith Lea wrote:
Actually, Janet is a very nice person who, I am sure, would never
intentionally upset you - she has taken a fair bit of unfair flack from
some unpleasant posters and perhaps this makes her suspicious at times -
quite a natural reaction to one or two nasty posters with more time on
their hands than sense. Janet is a straight talking person. I have
never know her to be unkind - and she is a font of knowledge with regard
to gardening. She has helped me many times in the past when I was very
new to urg and believe me I tried the patience of a saint - never once
did she berate me for my foolish questions but always encouraged me - I
am really fond of her - start off your relationship with her again, I
don't know what went wrong, but I do know, where possible she will try
to help you with good advice.

Very nicely put. Thank you. It is precisely with this in mind that er..
I actually mind, and quite a lot.

p.s. welcome to urg -

Thank you.

I tend to lurk more these days but I still take
all good advice where appropriate.

And you give good advice I'm sure too )

Old 01-11-2005, 09:33 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message .com
from "La puce" contains these words:
Judith Lea wrote:

/snip/

Very nicely put. Thank you. It is precisely with this in mind that er..
I actually mind, and quite a lot.

p.s. welcome to urg -

Thank you.

I tend to lurk more these days but I still take
all good advice where appropriate.

And you give good advice I'm sure too )

Known for it.

--