Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
bnd777

Default Advice please Leylandii hedge

How right you are Sharon

"Sharon Curtis" wrote in message
In article ,
David wrote:
Its worth putting the Leylandii issue in perspective, for every one
'victim' there must be hundreds of happy owners/neighbours,

Why would the neighbour be *happy* with a leylandii hedge on their
boundary, when its very presence puts a burden of cutting it onto
them?

My neighbours were very glad when I removed my leylandii hedge. It
has let a lot more light into their garden, their garden is now
about 2 ft wider, they can use the rhs of their garden for planting,
the soil isn't too dry any more, and they no longer have to cut it
regularly.

Sharon

Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
David

In article , Sharon Curtis
writes
In article ,
David wrote:
Its worth putting the Leylandii issue in perspective, for every one
'victim' there must be hundreds of happy owners/neighbours,

Why would the neighbour be *happy* with a leylandii hedge on their
boundary, when its very presence puts a burden of cutting it onto
them?

We have a drive the other side of our Leylandii and then the neighbours
have their Leylandii the other side of the drive, we each cut our own
hedges, they are happy as are we. I don't think the burden of cutting
someone else's hedge falls on you anyway.

My neighbours were very glad when I removed my leylandii hedge. It
has let a lot more light into their garden, their garden is now
about 2 ft wider, they can use the rhs of their garden for planting,
the soil isn't too dry any more, and they no longer have to cut it
regularly.

We have a larger drier area under the Laurel hedge than we do under the
Leyndii and as for the light it depends on where your Leylandii is
planted surely, our neighbours cut their back but then let it grow again
because of the loss of privacy, its easy to get into sweeping
generalisations on a subject like this

--
David
Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
David

In article , bnd777
writes
But you maintain your leylandi at 6 ft and no doubt keep it clean and tidy
underneath

The ones that wreck my garden are 12ft high ,,,,,,,half dead to 6 ft up and
a 1 ft deep mess of dried shards underneath to keep blowing through
Add on the entire centres of the trees are full of cuttings

UGLY is a good word same as their owner who delights in causing all manner
of aggaravations just as he did at previous house and no doubt the one
before that too

I think we have agreed before that your problem is with your neighbour,
if it wasn't Leylandii it would no doubt be something else. I sympathise
with your problem but don't like the sweeping generalisations that you
use.
--
David
Old 22-03-2003, 11:31 AM
bnd777

I agree the problem is the neighbour
However up and down the UK there are at least 17 thousand similar people
who delight in using Leylandi as a weapon to destroy their neighbours peace
of mind

Theres virtually no other plant which grows in such a thuggish manner and
whose upkeep is an impossible task for many of the neighbours its inflicted
on

If you simply have grass or a drive on the other side of it and have no
problem climbing heights to trim it and clean up the mess fine
(Sadly in the majority of cases the growers totally refuse to take
responsibility for the other side)

But if you had otherwise beautiful flower and shrub borders you would
certainly not be happy to have Leylandi inflicted on you

and if you bother to put yourself in the shoes of more elderly folk who also
thanks to financial situations cant afford the services of tree surgeons 2
or 3 times a year
never mind the loss of light or use of their gardens then its not surprising
that its Leylandi that gets a bad name

news

Old 22-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Paul Kelly

"bnd777" wrote in message
its not surprising
that its Leylandi that gets a bad name

Leylandii does have its uses but any "justification" which includes the
phrase "..properly maintained..." to me indicates that the plant is in the
wrong location.

The right location? Very large country gardens. Boundaries between same and
farmland or industrial premises. ie places where the plant can be allowed to
grow to its natural height and spread without blighting the lives of
neighbours

The wrong place? Almost anywhere as a boundary between gardens - in
particular, any town garden.

I live in SW19, I can set put from here and walk in any direction and see
dozens of examples of inappropriate use for every example of a well
maintained leylandii hedge.

Fortunately my new neighbour was happy to remove the stand of 6/8 multi
stemmed leylandii forming a 45ft wall of green overhanging the southern
boundary of my 9m wide garden by 3m.

pk

Old 22-03-2003, 03:44 PM
bnd777

Dead Right Paul
Even in a Country garden they cause a bloody nuiscance on a boundary and
depending on soil conditions their roots are an absolute nightmare

Old 23-03-2003, 04:32 PM
David

In article , bnd777
writes
I agree the problem is the neighbour
However up and down the UK there are at least 17 thousand similar people
who delight in using Leylandi as a weapon to destroy their neighbours peace
of mind

That's out of about 20 million households so its hardly a big problem
percentage wise and there are very few extreme cases like yours also
AFAIK that's the figure from Hedgeline which is outdated.

Theres virtually no other plant which grows in such a thuggish manner and
whose upkeep is an impossible task for many of the neighbours its inflicted
on

If you simply have grass or a drive on the other side of it and have no
problem climbing heights to trim it and clean up the mess fine
(Sadly in the majority of cases the growers totally refuse to take
responsibility for the other side)

I think you mean in the minority of cases, don't blow this out of
proportion, I've haven't lived next to anyone who hasn't at least
offered to cut their side of the hedge

But if you had otherwise beautiful flower and shrub borders you would
certainly not be happy to have Leylandi inflicted on you

and if you bother to put yourself in the shoes of more elderly folk who also
thanks to financial situations cant afford the services of tree surgeons 2
or 3 times a year
never mind the loss of light or use of their gardens then its not surprising
that its Leylandi that gets a bad name

Barry, some advice, do something about it don't just sit there and moan
it sounds like you have neighbours from hell, if its not the Leylandii
it will be something else
--
David
Old 23-03-2003, 07:44 PM
bnd777

Dont you think we havent tried every possible avenue
We are not just sitting here moaning we have done everything its possible to
do to negate the problem

Just because you consider such cases to be a minority does not mean the
subject should be ignored

"David" wrote in message
In article , bnd777
writes

Old 23-03-2003, 10:32 PM
David

In article , bnd777
writes
Dont you think we havent tried every possible avenue
We are not just sitting here moaning we have done everything its possible to
do to negate the problem

Have you tried suing? loss of quality of life, difference in house value
etc

Just because you consider such cases to be a minority does not mean the
subject should be ignored

I've told you I'm sympathetic to your personal case but you continue to
condemn most Leylandii owners when in fact most Leylandii owners are
responsible, whether the plants are suitable or not is a matter of
personal choice.

--
David
Old 23-03-2003, 11:20 PM
bnd777

Sadly theres no basis in law for suing for loss of light, loss of amenity or
loss of house value

and as I have said Leylandi are used as a weapon by those who wish to bully
Often this happens when a house is sold and the new owner is unwilling to
maintain the hedge in the responsible manner of the previous one

"David" wrote in message
In article , bnd777
writes

Old 24-03-2003, 11:08 PM
David

In article , bnd777
writes
Sadly theres no basis in law for suing for loss of light, loss of amenity or
loss of house value

I read this as being a precedent just waiting to be set, I would have
thought loss of house value would have been a fairly simple one to
establish if the Leylandii are the sole reason.

and as I have said Leylandi are used as a weapon by those who wish to bully
Often this happens when a house is sold and the new owner is unwilling to
maintain the hedge in the responsible manner of the previous one

I gather that most of the disputes are caused by the people who plant
them though rather than new owners
--
David
Old 25-03-2003, 12:32 AM
bnd777

Not sure where you get that idea from

"David" wrote in message
In article , bnd777
writes

Old 25-03-2003, 12:56 AM
Paul Kelly

"David" wrote in message
In article , bnd777
writes
Sadly theres no basis in law for suing for loss of light, loss of amenity

or
loss of house value

I read this as being a precedent just waiting to be set, I would have
thought loss of house value would have been a fairly simple one to
establish if the Leylandii are the sole reason.

Loss of house value would indeed be a very easy thing to establish - but
that alone is not actionable in court.

If what I am doing on my property is legal (both statute and common law) and
within planning regs, there is nowt you can do about it no matter what
effect it has on your house value.

While keen and responsible hobby gardeners might well keep a Leylandii hedge
under control it is, in my opinion, irresponsible to advise someone who
needs to ask for basic advice on hedging plants in a forum such as this to
plant Leylandii.

pk

Old 25-03-2003, 06:44 PM
bnd777