Old 26-01-2006, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ono Notim

Default Moles!

Hi all
I have moles in the garden!
So far they have made a mess of the roadside verge and an occasional hole at
the edge of the lawn - most are in the garden. They seem to delight in
making holes between cottage style paving slabs.
What's the best cure to make them move on, please?
Rather NOT use the Jasper Carrot method as I am a little shaky with a 12bore
on a stool and it is damn cold this time of year (;D.
Thanks
O.N.

Old 26-01-2006, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Ono Notim wrote:
Hi all
I have moles in the garden!
So far they have made a mess of the roadside verge and an occasional
hole at the edge of the lawn - most are in the garden. They seem to
delight in making holes between cottage style paving slabs.
What's the best cure to make them move on, please?
Rather NOT use the Jasper Carrot method as I am a little shaky with a
12bore on a stool and it is damn cold this time of year (;D.
Thanks
O.N.

In my experience, and I think that of most others here, if they like
your place then they or their relatives will always come back. It's just
one of those questions of you providing the habitat and nature doing the
rest. For no discernible reason I used to attract moles when my
next-door neighbour didn't, even when we had a cat and a dog and they
didn't have so much as a hamster. It can be a nuisance, I know; but it's
usually only for a limited period each year -- if that's any comfort!
Sorry.

You could lift the paving and make a concrete base, of course. Then
they'll probably pop up in the lawn or the flower-beds instead!

--
Mike.

Old 27-01-2006, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Ono Notim" contains these words:

I have moles in the garden!
So far they have made a mess of the roadside verge and an occasional hole at
the edge of the lawn - most are in the garden. They seem to delight in
making holes between cottage style paving slabs.
What's the best cure to make them move on, please?
Rather NOT use the Jasper Carrot method as I am a little shaky with a 12bore
on a stool and it is damn cold this time of year (;D.

Either make an infusion of ferret litter and water it into runs, or trap them.

The latter method is more permanent, if permanence can be had by degrees.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 27-01-2006, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
P Williamson

Find a source of traps and trap em out. Qite easy when you get the knack of
setting the traps in the runs. I and my neighbours in the allotments ended
a nasty infestation in only a few weeks.

k...

Old 27-01-2006, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Eur Ing John Rye

Hello Ono

In article ,
Ono Notim wrote:
Hi all
I have moles in the garden!
So far they have made a mess of the roadside verge and an occasional hole
at the edge of the lawn - most are in the garden. They seem to delight in
making holes between cottage style paving slabs. What's the best cure to
make them move on, please? Rather NOT use the Jasper Carrot method as I am
a little shaky with a 12bore on a stool and it is damn cold this time of
year

My paving slabs ar set on sand, and they tunnel under the paths and use them
as their equivalent of the M1. I suspect that that is what they are doing in
your garden. You are just seein where there has been a minor roof collapse.

In general I tolerate them, but occasionally I discourage them a bit by
burying holly in the line of their runs.

John

--
EurIng J Rye CEng FIEE Electrical Engineering Consultant
18 Wentworth Close Hadleigh IPSWICH IP7 5SA England

Old 28-01-2006, 01:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Garden Oasis

There are a range of different traps and deterrents on the market
specifically targetted at controlling moles. We have two different
humane solutions available, the first being a sonic device that you
'plant' in the ground. The Molechaser as it is called, produces a high
frequency sonic sound that the moles are supposed to find irritating
and encourages them to move elsewhere.

The second option is a Swedish import called Sork Anti-Mole Bulbs. I
have no idea what is in the bulbs but again, you 'plant' these around
the garden and the smell encourages the moles to move on. They have
been available in Sweden for over 9 years and claims to be the only
natural product that makes moles move on without the use of poisons.

http://www.gardenoasis.co.uk/wildlife-c-68.html

Good luck!

Garden Oasis

Old 28-01-2006, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message .com
from "Garden Oasis" contains these words:

The second option is a Swedish import called Sork Anti-Mole Bulbs. I
have no idea what is in the bulbs but again, you 'plant' these around
the garden and the smell encourages the moles to move on. They have
been available in Sweden for over 9 years and claims to be the only
natural product that makes moles move on without the use of poisons.

The caper spurge is said to deter moles.

Remind me in the summer and I'll collect seeds from some for moled
urglers to try. They're quite decorative, and while they are persistent,
they aren't invasive.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 28-01-2006, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Flower Bobdew

In article .com,
Garden Oasis writes

The second option is a Swedish import called Sork Anti-Mole Bulbs. I
have no idea what is in the bulbs but again, you 'plant' these around
the garden and the smell encourages the moles to move on.

Not!

They have been available in Sweden for over 9 years and claims to be
the only natural product that makes moles move on without the use of
poisons.

Seemed like a great idea. My moles love 'em. : 7

I'll be watching this thread with interest, but if I see a 100% tried,
tested and trusted response, I'll be happy, yet surprised.

The original poster might just be better off/learn to live with them.
They're not active all the time. And, funnily enough, when you're not
actively trying to get rid of them it's not nearly as
frustrating/annoying as failing to do so.

--
Flower Bobdew
South Facing Garden
Old 28-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Registered User

Location: old oxted

Hi
3 alternative solutions
1 100 ml bleach and a dash of washing up liquid to 1 litre of water scrape away top of mound .. find the hole and pour down keep doing this for every fresh run.. it normally takes about 2 months to drive the moles away.

2 Allium molly bulbs planted tend to work pretty well and can be mowed if planted in your lawn

3 mmmmm moles are Haemophiliacs so if you crush glass and place it in the run, they will bleed to death.. brutal I know but it is quite commonly used, not by myself may I add.. I use the bleach and allium methods
Old 28-01-2006, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from insanite contains these words:

3 alternative solutions
1 100 ml bleach and a dash of washing up liquid to 1 litre of water
scrape away top of mound .. find the hole and pour down keep doing this
for every fresh run.. it normally takes about 2 months to drive the
moles away.

Molehills are very, very seldom on the runs. They are nearly always a
branch off one.

2 Allium molly bulbs planted tend to work pretty well and can be mowed
if planted in your lawn

3 mmmmm moles are Haemophiliacs so if you crush glass and place it in
the run, they will bleed to death.. brutal I know but it is quite
commonly used, not by myself may I add.. I use the bleach and allium
methods

That sems rather unlikely, especially if you know how the digestive
tract works.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 28-01-2006, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kay

insanite writes
Allium molly bulbs planted tend to work pretty well and can be mowed

if
planted in your lawn

How well do they naturalise in grass?
--
Kay
Old 28-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Registered User

Location: old oxted

to be honest i am not sure kay I only planted them in the clients lawn last year. They seem to be doing the trick though the mole is on the outer edges of the garden.
Old 28-01-2006, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
doug

"Flower Bobdew" wrote in message
In article .com, Garden
Oasis writes

[...]

**********
You got the mowdewarps in, then?.
Tough luck!
Learn to love 'em, Most Farmers use mowdewarp catchers. These chaps set
their traps in the "runs". They skin the "catch" them and nail the said
skins on to nearby fences for the farmer to count when on his "rounds" in
the fields and hedgerows.
They are busy on my nearby country roadsides just now.
You can buy the traps but you just wouldn't know how or where to put them.
It's an old country expert's job, - they know by long experience just how
them there mowdewarps live.
Years ago my cousin lived near a farm and he was the local mowdie catcher.
He skinned them and cured them by tacking them spreadeagled onto a board
outside. when the sun was shining days and when he had collected enough
they were sent away to be made into ladie's coats.
Doug.
**********

Old 29-01-2006, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stan The Man

In article , doug
wrote:

You can buy the traps but you just wouldn't know how or where to put them.

Having tried a number of times to set traps myself and been singularly
unsuccessful, the local molecatcher was called in and after a brief
prod around he set two traps in runs which were nowhere near the many
molehills, and which I didn't know were there. Two days later, both
traps contained (young) dead moles and these two were the cause of
dozens of molehills over a large area (approx 1/3 acre). I wasted many
hours trying to get the job done; the molecatcher charged £40 (no
corpse, no fee) and will be called in again this year.

He also identified the mother mole's lair in a far corner of the garden
but said there was no point in trapping her as a) all the damage is
done by young moles and b) another matriarch would move in if mine were
terminated. (Or was he just making sure I would have to call him in
again the following year?)

If you prefer the shotgun/pitchfork method, leave a hose running near a
recent molehill and the varmit will be burrowing upwards within half an
hour. Unfortunately, whenever I tried this, the varmits waited until my
vigil was interrupted by a visitor/call of nature/etc.

I love all animals and would leave them alone if their activities
weren't dangerous. Unfortunately, it gets to the point where it becomes
dangerous to walk on my lawn because of the likelihood of twisting an
ankle when the ground gives way underfoot.

Stan
Old 29-01-2006, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Stan The Man contains these words:

He also identified the mother mole's lair in a far corner of the garden
but said there was no point in trapping her as a) all the damage is
done by young moles and b) another matriarch would move in if mine were
terminated. (Or was he just making sure I would have to call him in
again the following year?)

Sounds like it. Having worked in that field - sorry! - I'd have copped
Mrs Mole TAAAW.

If you prefer the shotgun/pitchfork method, leave a hose running near a
recent molehill and the varmit will be burrowing upwards within half an
hour. Unfortunately, whenever I tried this, the varmits waited until my
vigil was interrupted by a visitor/call of nature/etc.

Walking down one of my fields some years ago with the gun over my arm, I
spotted movement in the middle of a molehill. Only waiting long enough
to be sure moley was near the top of the mound, i gve it a blast of an
ounce and a quarter of No 4 and blew it right out of the soil. It lay on
its back, motionless, but apparantly unmangled. I picked it up,
intending to put it on the compost heap, but a few paces later it awoke
and began trying to scrabble off...

I love all animals and would leave them alone if their activities
weren't dangerous. Unfortunately, it gets to the point where it becomes
dangerous to walk on my lawn because of the likelihood of twisting an
ankle when the ground gives way underfoot.

Yes indeed. I had a bullock at the time and couldn't afford to have him
bork a leg.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Chipmunks or moles? Duane Morin Gardening 6 03-10-2003 05:12 PM
Moles ROY MCMASTER Australia 4 17-04-2003 01:08 PM
Getting rid of moles Chris Haney North Carolina 7 07-04-2003 02:44 AM
Moles VS Voles smitty48 Edible Gardening 3 22-03-2003 08:44 PM
How do you get rid of moles without traps Susan E Desjardins Edible Gardening 18 18-03-2003 06:44 PM