Old 24-02-2006, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy

Default North facing wall climbers ??

In article , Emery Davis
writes

Particularly since the 2 year grafts are mostly really so very cheap:
9-12 EU here. Hard for the maple addict to resist!

-E

Erk ...

Duchy nurseries have one for £44.50 and a Chitoseyama for £19.50 !

Might look into more details before acquiring one
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
Old 24-02-2006, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Emery Davis wrote:

(snip)

The above vary in size from young to about 12 ft. The exposed ones are
all established except for pseudosieboldianum, which I expect will
be trouble free. (There, I probably just killed it...)
Anyway, I hope the above list may prove useful to the adventurous!

I have the palmatum atropurpureum - blood leaf. It's been in a pot for
over 10 years, and as explained here a while ago, the roots took on the
ground through the pot and I'm now kind of stuck with it. It is happy.
When I moved house I had to move it around a few times to find it's
best place. It doesn't like being touched by walls or fence and it is
slightly shadowed by a holly, and has been happy there for about 5
years.

However, last year it failed for the second autumn to turn bright
orange / red because it didn't even went all red but was over 80% I'd
say with green leaves. This year, and I'm not too surprised because of
the long warm weather we've had, it gave some fruits for the first
time. Now, I wondered if you knew why it's now not going red as it
should?

Old 24-02-2006, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:59:37 +0000
Sacha wrote:

On 23/2/06 23:55, in article , "Emery
Davis" wrote:

snip of great information

Anyway, I hope the above list may prove useful to the adventurous!

It certainly has! In fact, this bit of the thread has inspired us to plant
a 'grove' of maples around what was the duck pond! We're going to let itbe

maniacally chuckling Infected another! Great idea though.

a wildlife pond now and as it is up against a fairly high granite wall,
won't be in direct path of the east wind that hurls itself against our front
door with monotonous regularity at this time of year. I'm looking for Acer
palmatum Coonara Pygmy both for ourselves and to stock in the nursery. It
sounds and looks a beautiful little tree and I think it would be popular.

Hmm, may be a problem, if Ray does his own grafting...

From "Maples for Gardens":

"... it is difficult to propagate. As often seen in witches'-brooms,
it is short lived and dies back suddenly. It is only rarely available in
the nursery trade due to its fragility, otherwise it would be one of
the few maples suitable for rock gardens."

However neither Harris nor Vertrees express any problems with
it, so maybe there's more than one version around. Lovely plant
in any case.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to

Old 24-02-2006, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 12:34:12 +0000
Janet Tweedy wrote:

In article , Emery Davis
writes

Particularly since the 2 year grafts are mostly really so very cheap:
9-12 EU here. Hard for the maple addict to resist!

-E

Erk ...

Duchy nurseries have one for £44.50 and a Chitoseyama for £19.50 !

Might look into more details before acquiring one

Yes, there are lots of "alternate" spellings around. At least they
only lost a space with this one.

Maybe these are older plants? 44 pound would be a fair price for
a 125-150, I guess.

Should do well in sun. If this is the true "english" version from
Exbury Gardens, it will have olive green leaves in summer with
dark red edges, a stunning effect.

-E

Old 24-02-2006, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

On 24 Feb 2006 04:47:15 -0800
"La Puce" wrote:

[]
I have the palmatum atropurpureum - blood leaf. It's been in a pot for

I'm afraid that name has turned into a bit of a catch-all, so it's
difficult to say what cultivar it is exactly. Much of the stock
breeds fairly true from seed, so that individuals (even grafted)
may not be true clones of the cultivar named in 1910, and
stock general available has become a grex.

All of this matters of course not at all to the enjoyment of
the plant! Palmatum is so variable that there are thousands
of unnamed but desirable expressions around.

[]
However, last year it failed for the second autumn to turn bright
orange / red because it didn't even went all red but was over 80% I'd
say with green leaves. This year, and I'm not too surprised because of
the long warm weather we've had, it gave some fruits for the first
time. Now, I wondered if you knew why it's now not going red as it
should?

There are two possibilities. It may need more sun. Many of
the red cultivars go green from insufficient light. The second
is that it was grown from seed or is a grex, some of which
turn dark green in fall. I'd consider the first more likely,
personally.

-E

Old 24-02-2006, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Charlie Pridham wrote:
Are we talking about the Rachel from Barkers? if so I think they may have
closed, I seem remember something a year or so back in the clematis journal
I get, shame if it is true.

Yes it is her. Semi retired though. Sadly they are getting old like
everybody elses! There is still the possibility of getting plants from
them if you know them, kinda thing and collect from them. They don't do
mail orders anymore. I'm seeing Rachel in a couple of weeks and I think
I'll take her offer on the viticella Madame Coverron even though I had
found the rose I wanted for my friend. There's always a little gap for
a clematis, I think.

Old 24-02-2006, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On 24 Feb 2006 04:47:15 -0800
"La Puce" wrote:

[]
[...]

Another possibility is that Autumn was very weird this year . Certainly in
this part of Yorkshire the Autumn colours did not develop as well as normal
on both Acers and several other trees. The Acers started on the normal cycle
and then the leaves just flopped and hung around for ages in loose
colourless clumps.
Normally they strut their stuff and fall in one big whoosh within a day or
two of the first frost.

Old 24-02-2006, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Emery Davis wrote:
All of this matters of course not at all to the enjoyment of
the plant! Palmatum is so variable that there are thousands
of unnamed but desirable expressions around.

I've made a couple of links of the acer we've got. Perhaps you could
tell me what it is beside us thinking it's 'blood leaf'. You can see on
the second link how green it's gone (

http://cjoint.com/?cyx3AAhQku
http://cjoint.com/?cyx4SamYfM

Old 24-02-2006, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

On 24 Feb 2006 14:58:56 -0800
"La Puce" wrote:

Emery Davis wrote:
All of this matters of course not at all to the enjoyment of
the plant! Palmatum is so variable that there are thousands
of unnamed but desirable expressions around.

I've made a couple of links of the acer we've got. Perhaps you could
tell me what it is beside us thinking it's 'blood leaf'. You can see on
the second link how green it's gone (

Sorry, I really can't tell much from the photos except that
it's certainly not very dark. It certainly doesn't appear to me
to be the original clone.

But the good news is: notice how the inner leaves appear more green
than the outer. That probably means that it will stay darker with
some more light.

-E

P.S. I have some field maples, too!

Old 25-02-2006, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Emery Davis wrote:
Sorry, I really can't tell much from the photos except that
it's certainly not very dark. It certainly doesn't appear to me
to be the original clone.
But the good news is: notice how the inner leaves appear more green
than the outer. That probably means that it will stay darker with
some more light.

Hourah!

P.S. I have some field maples, too!

)

Old 04-03-2006, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from NC contains these words:

Thanks for all the advise - and all so quickly too.
Gardending is addictive, and I've only just bought my first spade and fork !
I'll put the order in when I get paid next week, so that gives plenty of
time for someone else to come in and tell me something else..

If you are going to Norwich any time, and you fancy some winter jasmine
layerings, I know I can find some, and there's probably an incipient
thicket lurking beneath the heavily-savaged bushes.

BTW, it doesn't exactly climb, but will reach a good height if you tie
it up as it grows.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig