Old 02-03-2006, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default Lidl Gardening week

The message
from Paul Corfield contains these words:

As a newcomer who is only here for the gardening I am astounded at the
vitriol and hate that is being displayed on this group. It is utterly
dispiriting, unnecessary and redolent of school playground behaviour. I
expect better from "grown ups".

I am not far off from unsubscribing.

'Ang in there mate.

Pop over the fence sometime and help me take the f^f^flippin' fairing
off me R80 - should make a fine planter.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 03-03-2006, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Rusty Hinge
2 writes
The message
from Paul Corfield contains these words:

As a newcomer who is only here for the gardening I am astounded at the
vitriol and hate that is being displayed on this group. It is utterly
dispiriting, unnecessary and redolent of school playground behaviour. I
expect better from "grown ups".

I am not far off from unsubscribing.

'Ang in there mate.

Pop over the fence sometime and help me take the f^f^flippin' fairing
off me R80 - should make a fine planter.

You forgot to mention the netty
--
June Hughes
Old 03-03-2006, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Judith Lea
writes

I am utterly shocked - I have not been reading urg for a week or so and
came back to see this. I had killfiled one of the posters and therefore
do not see her posts, EXCEPT where it has been reproduced by others. I
cannot believe that she followed Janet into another group and then
blatantly lied about the content of postings. So, being open minded, I
did a profile on the other person - I was shocked, look at her postings
in Demon local - the language, the content is completely alien to me and
I would not wish to converse with anyone of that ilk. This person is
beyond the pale and nothing anyone here says or does will influence her
to go away - perhaps a complete blank on her postings, with nobody
reproducing them so that those of us who have killfiled her do not have
to see them will eventually restore urg to what I formerly enjoyed.

Actually Judith, we have all settled down here at present. I know what
it is like to be followed to another group, in fact someone here did it
to me a few months ago but it backfired on them. Also, local groups are
notorious for their straightforward language, so I am not surprised you
were shocked there. However, if we are to survive, we must try and
button our lips for a while.
I am prepared to put my money where my mouth is - I support Janet, I
find her helpful, knowledgeable and likeable. I expect now the other
poster will come back at me with accusations, threats, lies etc. All I
can say is that I will not see them.

Janet has a great deal of knowledge which shows through here in spades
(as it were and I actually know someone who knows her in the flesh who
says only good things about her. So here we are back in gardening mode,
with weeds coming up like billy-oh and my dog still ruining my garden
after her having been here for a whole year. I think a stout fence is
in order (or even a wall). Or come to think of it, a huge fortress!

BTW, We were in Wymondham last weekend (18-21) and very cold it was too
but m-in-l's garden is a picture, despite her having a dog and my dog
being a surprisingly well-behaved guest for the weekend. We drove to
Hunstanton on Monday and were met there with a blast of freezing sea
air.
--
June Hughes
Old 03-03-2006, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 11:29:26 +0000, Judith Lea wrote
(in article ):

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message .com
from "La Puce" contains these words:

Janet Baraclough wrote:
Ignore the misinformation by Puke.

AND YOU bully ugly woman, don't you think you're having enough from
Sheldon Harper at rural?!?!

What did that person
said about you? ...

"Women like that usually don't have much of a home life or friends of
any sort. She's a classic ball buster"

snip

[...]

Not wishing to start this whole thing up again, but I think you will notice
that hardly anyone responds to the other poster's posts now, unless it is to
correct some misinformation. To ignore someone who appears to be
attention-seeking is the best possible reaction! I agree with you about
Janet. Whenever I have asked a question which she has answered I have found
her nothing but helpful and knowledgeable.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Old 03-03-2006, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 3/3/06 12:04, in article , "June
Hughes" wrote:

snip

Actually Judith, we have all settled down here at present. I know what
it is like to be followed to another group, in fact someone here did it
to me a few months ago but it backfired on them.snip

That's inclined to happen when you cross post and then try to retract
because you've shown yourself up. Don't you just hate it when that happens?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-03-2006, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy

In article , June Hughes
writes
In message , Janet Baraclough
writes

You're posting in England to an English speaking group. The English
translation of conne is ****.

I think you will find that many people translate it as 'bitch'. Not so
bad after all

Actually June I don't think they do...............

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 03-03-2006, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:
In message , Rusty Hinge
2 writes
The message
from Paul Corfield contains these words:

As a newcomer who is only here for the gardening I am astounded at the
vitriol and hate that is being displayed on this group. It is utterly
dispiriting, unnecessary and redolent of school playground behaviour. I
expect better from "grown ups".

I am not far off from unsubscribing.

'Ang in there mate.

Pop over the fence sometime and help me take the f^f^flippin' fairing
off me R80 - should make a fine planter.

You forgot to mention the netty

Don't tell him about the netty! I've a troll living in there and it
needs feeding...

You can *JUST* see it in
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/ad/shedx.jpg

HTH

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 03-03-2006, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , June Hughes
writes
In message , Janet Baraclough
writes

You're posting in England to an English speaking group. The English
translation of conne is ****.

I think you will find that many people translate it as 'bitch'. Not so
bad after all

Actually June I don't think they do...............

La chienne is 'bitch', I think. As for 'conne',

from http://dictionary.cambridge.org/defi...&dict=F&lang=F
(Dictionnaire Cambridge Klett Compact)

"Definition
con(ne) I adj parfois inv inf stupid II m(f)(f) inf fool; pauvre [o sale]
péj ~! you great prick! vulg; pauvre [o sale] péj ~ne stupid cow!; faire le
~ to fool around; oh! le ~/la ~ne! what a prick/stupid cow! "

Old 03-03-2006, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , June Hughes
writes
In message , Janet Baraclough
writes

You're posting in England to an English speaking group. The English
translation of conne is ****.

I think you will find that many people translate it as 'bitch'. Not
so bad after all

Actually June I don't think they do...............

Whatever. I must admit, it is not a word I use at all, either in
English or any other language.
--
June Hughes

Old 03-03-2006, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Richard Parker

Your orotundity may yet impel me to a rodomontade. And that's litotes.

This circumlocutary obfuscation is getting us nowhere...
--
Richard Parker

If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?
- Albert Einstein
Old 03-03-2006, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

[...]

I saw it. I wonder if it has computer and broadband in there?
--
June Hughes
Old 03-03-2006, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

Janet has a great deal of knowledge which shows through here in spades
(as it were and I actually know someone who knows her in the flesh who
says only good things about her.

I think you might have mixed me up with keen gardener Janet Tweedy,
who met many of the group at various urgmeets..none of them attended by
me.

I don't think so. You live on Arran, don't you?
--
June Hughes
Old 03-03-2006, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "BAC" contains these words:

[...]

Looking up terms like this in a respectable establishment dictionary
is like searching Marks and Spencers underwear dept for an S and M
bondage outfit.

With that mind-set, I hope you have no elderly female relatives who ask you
to nip down to the shops and buy them a corset :-)

www.notam02.no/~hcholm/altlang/ht/French.1.html, scroll down to C.

Gives you the street meaning of the term. As I said.

Yes, it gives the 'street' meanings (interestingly, not only the word you
selected) as opposed to the 'straight' meaning, but, clearly, there are
several possible meanings, ranging from stupid downwards. La Puce has denied
intending the phrase as you have interpreted it, and she, surely, ought to
know better than anyone else what she meant by it?

There are many terms in that excellent dictionary with alternative meanings
(I shall be looking at a dish of moules from a different perspective, in
future, for example, and shall steer well clear of French oignon soup) but
what makes you so sure La Puce (thank Heavens you didn't pun her 'nom de
guerre' to 'pute', by the way) intended the more base version, as opposed to
a somewhat more respectable insult?

Old 03-03-2006, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , June Hughes
writes
In message , Janet Baraclough
writes

You're posting in England to an English speaking group. The English
translation of conne is ****.

I think you will find that many people translate it as 'bitch'. Not
so bad after all

Actually June I don't think they do...............

Whatever. I must admit, it is not a word I use at all, either in
English or any other language.

"connard" may be taken as bitch or that other word, according to the
alternative dictionary Janet referred to, so that's probably what you had in
mind.