Old 02-03-2006, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Bear's breeches [Was: Lidl Gardening week]

La Puce wrote:
Mike Lyle wrote:
I think the English is just an adaptation of late Latin _branca_,
"paw". "Brank[s]" for "scold's bridle" is a Scots word of
unestablished origin. In English English "Brank" was also used for
buckwheat, but I don't think there's a connection there.

You perhaps missed my post on this ...

From the folklore of plants .... "The bear is another common prefix.

Thus there is the bear's-foot, from its digital leaf, the bear-berry,
or bear's-bilberry, from its fruit being a favourite food of bears,
and the bear's-garlick. There is the bear's-breech, from its
roughness, a name transferred by some mistake from the Acanthus to
the cow-parsnip, and the bear's-wort, which it has been suggested "is
rather to be derived from its use in uterine complaints than from the
animal."

My book 'naming of plants' says the acanthus is called bear's breech
from the size and appearance of the leaf which is very big, broad and
hairy. Acanthus in greek means thorn.

No, I did see your post, thanks. As I said in my OP, yes, the Greek word
does mean "spiny"; but I still don't see why bears would wear thorny
pants. Looking at it as hairy rather than spiny could persuade one of a
resemblance between the plant and an ursine back end, I suppose.

I didn't know Bear-wort (_Meum athamanticum_), what we call Spignel,
varie Baldmoney and Bishopsweed, had a reputation for helping with
uterine conditions; but if it does, I'd be surprised if the "bear" in
the name had anything to do with that. One of the OED quotations refers
it to "the lower viscera", but I'd take that as guts rather than the
womb.

--
Mike.

Old 02-03-2006, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Corfield

Default Lidl Gardening week

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 09:59:51 +0000, Sally Thompson
wrote:

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 09:45:37 +0000, La Puce wrote
(in article .com):

Janet Baraclough wrote:
Are you quite sure you want my isp to see copies of all the evidence?

It's too late Janet. I have never called you what you said I did. I
only wrote that you had a moustache, that you are a witch, that you
need to clear some cobwebs and that you are une conne. I don't stalk
you and call you name. I ripost only to your vile abuse. As I said,
it's too late. This is my last post to you.

If only I could believe that were true:-(

As a newcomer who is only here for the gardening I am astounded at the
vitriol and hate that is being displayed on this group. It is utterly
dispiriting, unnecessary and redolent of school playground behaviour. I
expect better from "grown ups".

I am not far off from unsubscribing.
--
Paul C
Old 02-03-2006, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike Lyle wrote:
No, I did see your post, thanks. As I said in my OP, yes, the Greek word
does mean "spiny"; but I still don't see why bears would wear thorny
pants. Looking at it as hairy rather than spiny could persuade one of a
resemblance between the plant and an ursine back end, I suppose.

Ha! It's says further, the acanthus leaf was a favorite decoration in
classical sculpture, as in the capital of the Corinthian column. In
England the bear has been dressed up and it is now called 'bear's
breeches' despite long standing authority to the contrary.

I didn't know Bear-wort (_Meum athamanticum_), what we call Spignel,
varie Baldmoney and Bishopsweed, had a reputation for helping with
uterine conditions; but if it does, I'd be surprised if the "bear" in
the name had anything to do with that. One of the OED quotations refers
it to "the lower viscera", but I'd take that as guts rather than the
womb.

Well yes. I would have always named taraxacum officinale for helping
uterine conditions -as we say in France '****enlit' )

For something completely different:- I wondered if you would know the
best way, or perhaps just 'a way' of distinguishing a viral desease
from a fungal desease. I find it almost impossible to distinguish the
two. Some start by being viral then turns into fungal deseases... I
need two examples of each, and 2 more for bacterial infection. Can you
help with something I can remember easily?

Old 02-03-2006, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pedt

In message , at 16:35:40 on
Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Paul Corfield wibbled

[snip the verbals]

As a newcomer who is only here for the gardening I am astounded at the
vitriol and hate that is being displayed on this group. It is utterly
dispiriting, unnecessary and redolent of school playground behaviour. I
expect better from "grown ups".

I am not far off from unsubscribing.

I'm only here at the moment due to the recent floods of junk and only
subscribed to see them myself as they were reported elsewhere (and I
distrust 2nd or 3rd hand reports). However, I have been here before when
I was taking a vote that happened to involve this group and I did read
every thread for the duration.

I'd suggest ignoring the posts you mentioned and stay subscribed. The
group appeared (and still does) to me to have a lot of people who were
passionate about their gardening and were more than happy to pass on
their knowledge, suggestions or extrapolations rather than hoard it.
Whilst there will be disagreements on any subject therein, I found those
disagreements to be generally gentlemanly or ladylike (if the regulars
will accept a generic phrase from an Edwardian Age) so I wouldn't
suggest unsubscribing due to a spat between posters.

--
Pedt

Old 02-03-2006, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

Janet Baraclough wrote:
Are you quite sure you want my isp to see copies of all the evidence?

It's too late Janet. I have never called you what you said I did. I
only wrote that you had a moustache, that you are a witch, that you
need to clear some cobwebs and that you are une conne. I don't stalk
you and call you name. I ripost only to your vile abuse. As I said,
it's too late. This is my last post to you.

If only I could believe that were true:-(

As a newcomer who is only here for the gardening I am astounded at the
vitriol and hate that is being displayed on this group. It is utterly
dispiriting, unnecessary and redolent of school playground behaviour. I
expect better from "grown ups".

I am not far off from unsubscribing.

I suggest it's just the group re-entering the 'storming' phase of team
building - inevitable, really, given the open nature of membership. It will
pass - until the next time.

Old 02-03-2006, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Richard Parker
writes
Oh dear, first killfile entry for urg

I won't repeat the message but I had to go and look up the meaning of
your "prolixity" signature!

Learn a new word every day - much better than verbosity as it takes a
minute to work out whether one has been insulted....

I just looked it up
--
June Hughes
Old 02-03-2006, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Paul Corfield
writes

Janet Baraclough wrote:
Are you quite sure you want my isp to see copies of all the evidence?

It's too late Janet. I have never called you what you said I did. I
only wrote that you had a moustache, that you are a witch, that you
need to clear some cobwebs and that you are une conne. I don't stalk
you and call you name. I ripost only to your vile abuse. As I said,
it's too late. This is my last post to you.

If only I could believe that were true:-(

As a newcomer who is only here for the gardening I am astounded at the
vitriol and hate that is being displayed on this group. It is utterly
dispiriting, unnecessary and redolent of school playground behaviour. I
expect better from "grown ups".

I am not far off from unsubscribing.

Stick with it Paul. We used to be a lovely friendly group. One or two
people are ruining it for everyone else.
--
June Hughes
Old 02-03-2006, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes

You're posting in England to an English speaking group. The English
translation of conne is ****.

I think you will find that many people translate it as 'bitch'. Not so
bad after all
--
June Hughes
Old 02-03-2006, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
June Hughes wrote:

I won't repeat the message but I had to go and look up the meaning of
your "prolixity" signature!

Learn a new word every day - much better than verbosity as it takes a
minute to work out whether one has been insulted....

I just looked it up

I shall not refrain from indulging myself in superfluous and
excessive pleonasm.

Yes, I had to look that one up, because I could remember its
existence but not what it was or its exact meaning! I have almost
never seen it used, and then only in the form pleonastic.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 02-03-2006, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Janet Baraclough
writes

You're posting in England to an English speaking group. The English
translation of conne is ****.

I think you will find that many people translate it as 'bitch'. Not so
bad after all

'Une conne' is commonly used to mean an idiot or a stupid thing/person, is
it not?

Old 02-03-2006, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , BAC
writes

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Janet Baraclough
writes

You're posting in England to an English speaking group. The English
translation of conne is ****.

I think you will find that many people translate it as 'bitch'. Not so
bad after all

'Une conne' is commonly used to mean an idiot or a stupid thing/person, is
it not?

Possibly.
--
June Hughes

Old 02-03-2006, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
June Hughes wrote:

I won't repeat the message but I had to go and look up the meaning
of your "prolixity" signature!

Learn a new word every day - much better than verbosity as it takes
a minute to work out whether one has been insulted....

I just looked it up

I shall not refrain from indulging myself in superfluous and
excessive pleonasm.

Yes, I had to look that one up, because I could remember its
existence but not what it was or its exact meaning! I have almost
never seen it used, and then only in the form pleonastic.

Your orotundity may yet impel me to a rodomontade. And that's litotes.

--
Mike.