Old 08-03-2006, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy

Default mandevilla & plumbago propagate seed?

During a seed swap yesterday I got a couple of packets that I haven't
tried before.

Could anyone tell me the best way to germinate Mandevilla suaveolens
and Plumbago campensis seed?

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 08-03-2006, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 8/3/06 20:15, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

During a seed swap yesterday I got a couple of packets that I haven't
tried before.

Could anyone tell me the best way to germinate Mandevilla suaveolens
and Plumbago campensis seed?

Ray says that he's never used Plumbago seeds but takes cuttings. However,
with Mandevilla, his remark was that it comes up like mustard & cress! Use
a decent seed compost, cover it lightly, water it and leave it alone. Hope
it works. ;-) I really think we should try you with Passiflora
antioquensis, Janet! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-03-2006, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy

In article , Sacha
writes

Ray says that he's never used Plumbago seeds but takes cuttings. However,
with Mandevilla, his remark was that it comes up like mustard & cress! Use
a decent seed compost, cover it lightly, water it and leave it alone. Hope
it works. ;-) I really think we should try you with Passiflora
antioquensis, Janet! ;-)

Oh no! Well maybe one or two seeds but I don't enjoy growing tender
plants, I just received some seed in a seed swap we had and I love
germinating and growing on plants! Then when they get too big and need
planting I usually give them away or swap them for hardier stuff.

(gardening philistine I'm afraid
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
Old 09-03-2006, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Sacha
writes

Ray says that he's never used Plumbago seeds but takes cuttings. However,
with Mandevilla, his remark was that it comes up like mustard & cress!
Use
a decent seed compost, cover it lightly, water it and leave it alone.
Hope
it works. ;-) I really think we should try you with Passiflora
antioquensis, Janet! ;-)

Oh no! Well maybe one or two seeds but I don't enjoy growing tender
plants, I just received some seed in a seed swap we had and I love
germinating and growing on plants! Then when they get too big and need
planting I usually give them away or swap them for hardier stuff.

(gardening philistine I'm afraid
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
http://www.amersham-gardening.net

Well that makes me a complete pleb, scuffer, one of the great unwashed. I
grow bananas by the score and swap for anything more exotic (but hardier).

Old 10-03-2006, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 9/3/06 23:45, in article , "Rupert"
wrote:

[...]

Did you get some of the Paulownia seeds I doled out a couple of years ago?
If not, would you like some this year, if our tree behaves itself properly?
One urgler who lives in France grew so many that she did swaps with her
local nursery and managed to get some nice new goodies for her garden. I
don't know how the tree will fare this year after the cold (for us) nights
that we've had but we'll X fingers.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 10-03-2006, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

id...
wrote:

[...]

Most kind. Well worth a go. Bananas are fun but I do get really frustrated
tying up propagators for nearly a year. Following all the helpful advice in
this group I think the germination success may be better this year.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy

In article , Rupert
writes

Well that makes me a complete pleb, scuffer, one of the great unwashed. I
grow bananas by the score and swap for anything more exotic (but hardier).

Well you can have some of the Mandevilla seeds or cardocrinum giganticum
if you like.

I can send you the list of spare seeds I have from the HPS.

What about weird vegetables? I got 50 packets of American seeds from
Ebay, many squashes and weird tomato varieties also pumpkins etc. Fancy
any of them?

janet

Old 10-03-2006, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy

In article , Sacha
writes

Did you get some of the Paulownia seeds I doled out a couple of years ago?
If not, would you like some this year, if our tree behaves itself properly?
One urgler who lives in France grew so many that she did swaps with her
local nursery and managed to get some nice new goodies for her garden. I
don't know how the tree will fare this year after the cold (for us) nights
that we've had but we'll X fingers.

I did and I farmed out the 20 seedling trees to people who have masses
of room and can grow them in all their glory. Came up so easily that I
threw the first 5 seedlings away as I thought they were chance weeds!
I have a couple of seedlings still in posts but they don't half grow!

Janet
p.s. Always happy to try some more
Old 10-03-2006, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Rupert writes

Well that makes me a complete pleb, scuffer, one of the great unwashed. I
grow bananas by the score and swap for anything more exotic (but hardier).

Well you can have some of the Mandevilla seeds or cardocrinum giganticum
if you like.

I can send you the list of spare seeds I have from the HPS.

What about weird vegetables? I got 50 packets of American seeds from Ebay,
many squashes and weird tomato varieties also pumpkins etc. Fancy any of
them?

janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Thanks very much. I will hold on for the moment-it's so easy to say yes.
Stuff has started to arrive and needs planting. All things that I had
forgotten that I had ordered late last year and I am having to refresh my
mind as to what most of these weird names are. Once I have got myself
straight then I may well be on the scrounge.