Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Kay Easton

Default Hostas

In article , Kim Bewick
writes
Hi Everyone
This is my first posting to the group and please forgive me if I appear a
little thick.
Last summer we planted a Hosta in our garden, which has full sun on it all
day long, in soil that is fairly heavy and has a lot of clay content (not
sure if this is relevant but thouight I'd tell you anyway :-)
It survived the summer quite well, but by October had died back until by
Christmas there was nothing to show where it had been (or at least I didn't
think so).

That's exactly what should have happened. They die down over winter.

Having been out in the garden this week as the weather has been so warm I
was amazed to count 17 i2 inch high shoots coming up where this Hosta had
once stood. My question is "What should I/could I do with them.

That's the new shoots of your hosta growing up from the roots. Protect
them from slugs, and your hosta will be back in all its glory soon.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

What is eating my Hostas? Mark Dunn North Carolina 7 06-08-2003 02:30 PM
Planting Hostas bthache Gardening 6 07-06-2003 04:21 AM
Hostas in the pond Gilbert United Kingdom 5 13-05-2003 12:08 PM
Hostas in pots Peter James United Kingdom 1 13-04-2003 11:44 AM
hostas ann Gardening 3 19-03-2003 01:32 AM