Old 08-06-2006, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Default Agression .... AGAIN :-((

Michael Crowe wrote:
Why does this newsgroup, dealing with the peaceful pastime of 'gardening',
break out into agressive arguements every so often with those 'who know'
stating in no uncertain terms to those 'who don't know', that they are right
and everybody else is wrong?

I see it has happened again with the 'owners' taking sides against everybody
else, even down to a response which will be 'it's not everybody else, it's
just those who are wrong' :-(((((

Anyone who thinks URG is an aggressive newsgroup hasn't spent much time
trawling usenet...

But seriously - URG is a great newsgroup, with lots of very
knowledgeable people, many of whom even have a sense of humour, who are
always prepared to answer daft newbie questions such as those I
regularly post.

That said, those people are human, and we each of us have our own
sensitivities.
Plus it's always much, much easier to tell someone what you really
think well hidden behind your keyboard than when face to face with
them. So, at times, people snipe and (gently) row.

My advice - whatever it is worth - is, ignore that, and see the
intrinsic value of the group for what it really is.

Cat(h)

Old 08-06-2006, 03:47 PM
Registered User

Location: South West UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by K

Kay
Thank you K for your 2 posts. I won't quote them all here.
I dont think Avon is really a county either. Its safe to say I live near Bristol.
Thanks for the tip about the searches. I have already had several questions answered through them.

As to your second post. No I had never even heard of usenet until I tried reading about it yesterday. I thought this was just a forum on Garden Banter. I have not explored the Garden Banter site at all apart from trying to read "Lost in usenet" which did as it promised and lost me completely.

Still have to admit that I can't quite understand how you function and why you can't break with Garden Banter if you want to. But technology never was my strong point.

I realised that this was an unmoderated site, but perhaps was not prepared for how strangers can treat each other. If you are all happy for me to post here I will continue to do so, but I have no wish to be anywhere I'm not wanted. Please tell me that Des who posted above was joking.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:32 PM
Registered User

Location: Bristol

Avon was disbanded a few years back, we are now Bristol city and county again

I'm on the border of Bristol and South Glos (well, just in the Bristol bit).

Keep us posted on your new enlarged garden, will be interesting to see how it progresses.
__________________
Carrot Cruncher.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Registered User

Location: South West UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by penance
Avon was disbanded a few years back, we are now Bristol city and county again

I'm on the border of Bristol and South Glos (well, just in the Bristol bit).

Keep us posted on your new enlarged garden, will be interesting to see how it progresses.
Sounds like we might be near neighbours. I'm just on the South Gloucestershire side. Its useful to find others who will have similar weather although I know that individual gardens in the same area can vary tremendously depending on how exposed they are.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Registered User

Location: Bristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by trin
Sounds like we might be near neighbours. I'm just on the South Gloucestershire side. Its useful to find others who will have similar weather although I know that individual gardens in the same area can vary tremendously depending on how exposed they are.

You may be right, we are near the BAWA fields.

Our garden is quite shaded from the north side by an old boundary hedge, it takes a fair amount og light from the plot nearest it. I am loathed to cut the hedge tho as it mostly native trees.

I got fed up with the heavy clay we have here and put in 6 2.5 x 1 meter raised beds for veg growing.
Already looking like a higher yeild this year. I'm hoping it will continue to look that way....
__________________
Carrot Cruncher.

Old 08-06-2006, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" writes

Anyone who thinks URG is an aggressive newsgroup hasn't spent much time
trawling usenet...

But seriously - URG is a great newsgroup, with lots of very
knowledgeable people, many of whom even have a sense of humour, who are
always prepared to answer daft newbie questions such as those I
regularly post.

That said, those people are human, and we each of us have our own
sensitivities.
Plus it's always much, much easier to tell someone what you really
think well hidden behind your keyboard than when face to face with
them. So, at times, people snipe and (gently) row.

My advice - whatever it is worth - is, ignore that, and see the
intrinsic value of the group for what it really is.

Thank you - a really sensible post!

--
Kay
Old 08-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Registered User

Location: South West UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by penance
You may be right, we are near the BAWA fields.
And we are near Hambrooke. Our garden is a strange mix. Our house is modern (20 yrs) built in the middle of a fairly steeply sloping plot. Because of the large amt of landscaping that had to be done for the build, top soil was imported. Horrible clumps of grey clay. A tragedy really as the local soil is meant to be excellent.
And our newly aquired plot ajoining which has the original soil. I'm no expert but I'd have said sandy loam. It was used in Victorian times as a market garden and still has the remains of a summerhouse we wish to restore. The area used to produce a huge crop of apricots appearantly, which is something I'm looking forward to trying to grow. More of that later, right now hours of removing ivy, brambles and nettles.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

trin writes

Still have to admit that I can't quite understand how you function and
why you can't break with Garden Banter if you want to. But technology
never was my strong point.

We can't break with gardenbanter because basically we post on usenet
which is public domain, so there is no physical way of stopping
gardenbanter using our posts.

I realised that this was an unmoderated site, but perhaps was not
prepared for how strangers can treat each other. If you are all happy
for me to post here I will continue to do so, but I have no wish to be
anywhere I'm not wanted.

Asking for us *all* to be happy is a tall order! - Can you accept just
most of us? ;-)

--
Kay
Old 08-06-2006, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from K contains these words:

We can't break with gardenbanter because basically we post on usenet
which is public domain, so there is no physical way of stopping
gardenbanter using our posts.

Yes there is. I've just decloaked to allow Trin to see my posts on
this topic, but otherwise, gardenbanter honours my software option of
automated "x-no-archive-yes) and does not show the originals of my
posts.

If sufficient usenet posters did the same, within weeks
gardenbanter's portal of urg would be an empty desert.

Janet.

--
Isle of Arran Open Gardens weekend 21,22,23 July 2006
5 UKP three-day adult ticket (funds go to island charities) buys entry
Old 09-06-2006, 12:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.k.

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from K contains these words:

We can't break with gardenbanter because basically we post on usenet
which is public domain, so there is no physical way of stopping
gardenbanter using our posts.

Yes there is. I've just decloaked to allow Trin to see my posts on
this topic, but otherwise, gardenbanter honours my software option of
automated "x-no-archive-yes) and does not show the originals of my
posts.

If sufficient usenet posters did the same, within weeks
gardenbanter's portal of urg would be an empty desert.

Can i do that with outlook express?

duck

pk

Old 09-06-2006, 12:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"p.k." wrote in message
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from K contains these words:

We can't break with gardenbanter because basically we post on usenet
which is public domain, so there is no physical way of stopping
gardenbanter using our posts.

Yes there is. I've just decloaked to allow Trin to see my posts on
this topic, but otherwise, gardenbanter honours my software option of
automated "x-no-archive-yes) and does not show the originals of my
posts.

If sufficient usenet posters did the same, within weeks
gardenbanter's portal of urg would be an empty desert.

Can i do that with outlook express?

duck

pk

Yes but with difficulty-have a look at this
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/windows95/oe-24.html

Old 09-06-2006, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Crowe

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
"Michael Crowe" said:
Who will it be to correct me ;-) ????

Michael Crowe

Me! It's aggression....

--
AnneJ

Well done AnneJ I noticed it as soon as it came up on screen and was
expecting someone sooner than that!! 10 Brownie Points ;-))

Michael Crowe FEP

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

Old 09-06-2006, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough writes
The message
from K contains these words:

We can't break with gardenbanter because basically we post on usenet
which is public domain, so there is no physical way of stopping
gardenbanter using our posts.

Yes there is. I've just decloaked to allow Trin to see my posts on
this topic, but otherwise, gardenbanter honours my software option of
automated "x-no-archive-yes) and does not show the originals of my
posts.

If sufficient usenet posters did the same, within weeks
gardenbanter's portal of urg would be an empty desert.

I've never used it. Anyone know how to do it in Turnpike?

--
Kay
Old 09-06-2006, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dave or stella @ stejonda

In message , Sacha
writes
If you can tell me how to do that on my Mac, I'd be glad to!

the first result when searching Google for 'Microsoft-Entourage
killfile' is an article recommending switching to Mozilla Thunderbird
(is that available for the Mac?)

MacSoup certainly has 'an easy to use' Killfile facility according to
http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:K...hard.com/email
/+Microsoft+Entourage+killfile&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk& cd=4 =
http://tinyurl.com/rmowl

This may help you with Entourage though...
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mic...ce.entourage/b
rowse_thread/thread/d050ae00ee5302f8/c15d9c8bfb7dd5d4?lnk=st&q=Microsoft+
Entourage+killfile&rnum=2#c15d9c8bfb7dd5d4 = http://tinyurl.com/mqc2x

hth

dave or stella @ stejonda

Agression 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 10 05-06-2009 07:35 AM
Little Black Ants, Again & Again Derek Mark Edding North Carolina 13 22-09-2006 06:05 PM
Steveo Spanked Again - Was: rat does the tard dance...again Aratzio Lawns 35 10-07-2004 01:02 AM
SAE agression Jeff Lowe Freshwater Aquaria Plants 7 04-07-2003 01:32 AM