Old 16-06-2006, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

Default RHS Colour charts

Anyone got access to the full version? Am trying to settle a dispute about a
white rose 'La Perle' and am having trouble persuading someone there is more
than one shade of white! and that 'La Perle' is not a yellow rose. If I am
to quote numbers I would as soon they be correct :~)
(I just remember there are pages of them, broken down into green whites,
cream whites, blue whites etc)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 16-06-2006, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

Anyone got access to the full version? Am trying to settle a dispute about

white rose 'La Perle' and am having trouble persuading someone there is

more
than one shade of white! and that 'La Perle' is not a yellow rose. If I am
to quote numbers I would as soon they be correct :~)
(I just remember there are pages of them, broken down into green whites,
cream whites, blue whites etc)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

According to this link, there's an 884 colour three fan version for
£135, yes £135 and a one fan simplified version for £25

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Learning/publi...olourchart.asp

On the other hand printers and others use the Pantone colour system
and there are plenty of free charts for that on the Internet.
And from graphics suppliers.

Not much help in other words

michael adams

Old 16-06-2006, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 16/6/06 13:42, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

Anyone got access to the full version? Am trying to settle a dispute about a
white rose 'La Perle' and am having trouble persuading someone there is more
than one shade of white! and that 'La Perle' is not a yellow rose. If I am
to quote numbers I would as soon they be correct :~)
(I just remember there are pages of them, broken down into green whites,
cream whites, blue whites etc)

Yes, Charlie, Ray has that set of different coloured cards in a green box.
How can we help?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 17-06-2006, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 16/6/06 13:42, in article

,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

Anyone got access to the full version? Am trying to settle a dispute

about a
white rose 'La Perle' and am having trouble persuading someone there is

more
than one shade of white! and that 'La Perle' is not a yellow rose. If I

am
to quote numbers I would as soon they be correct :~)
(I just remember there are pages of them, broken down into green whites,
cream whites, blue whites etc)

Yes, Charlie, Ray has that set of different coloured cards in a green box.
How can we help?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(email address on website)

Just an idea how many shades of white are given would be usefull,
If you have the time you could try comparing the on screen picture at
www.roselandhouse.co.uk/roses/rlaperle.htm its a good likeness this end! I
just want to be sure that it comes up as a white rose and not a yellow one
(I know the buds are a soft yellow but the flowers are a lovely cream white.
(You may of course know the rose?)

Old 17-06-2006, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"michael adams" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the thoughts but I sort of need it to be more "Official" if you
know what I mean, The other party is adamant its a yellow rose, I disagree
but proving a colour is not that easy as most flowers are shades and
although I do not have a set of colour charts (you have seen the price!)
that's what they were made for.

Old 17-06-2006, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 17/6/06 08:15, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 16/6/06 13:42, in article

,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

[...]

No, I don't know the rose but there is no doubt it's white. Have a look at
the David Austin site too, BTW.
http://www.davidaustinroses.com/engl....asp?showr=917
The white group in the RHS colour chart is in Fan 4 and runs as follows:
White group, Greyed-White, Green-White, Yellow-White, Orange-White. Each
card has 4 shades on it and on printing off your pic and looking at that and
the screen picture, I have no doubt in saying that it's in White Group and
looks most like 155D. The centre appears to fall into the Yellow-White
Group 158 and is 158A. Naturally, colour registers can alter things but
this is most certainly not a yellow rose!
However, there IS a pale yellow tea rose called Perle des Jardins, bred by
Levet and my guess is that your interlocutor might be thinking of that one?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 17-06-2006, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 17/6/06 08:15, in article ,
[...]

Many thanks for all that. It is a customer who wanted a white rose, we sold
them 'La Perle' 2 years ago and we have recently received a letter claiming
its yellow and that they don't like it, so can we replace it! We don't sell
any yellow roses and the picture supplied by them is indeed La Perle so I
can not see the problem but they are starting to irritate us with constant
phone messages and letters.
They are not far from you, so if someone comes in looking for a white rose -
duck!

Old 17-06-2006, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 17/6/06 15:37, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 17/6/06 08:15, in article ,
[...]

How fortunate it is that we don't do a great number of roses!! And they've
waited TWO years? Hmmmmm.....!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-06-2006, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

[...]

I notice on your website, which I came across totally by accident
there's a picture -

http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk/roses/rlaperle.htm

along with the description "creamy white deepening toward the
centres".

That description seems fair enough to me.

If that's how it was described at the time they bought it
then they don't really have a leg to stand on IMO.

What are they suggesting - that they send it back and get
a refund or something ?

IME, honest but stubborn and misguided\stupid people can
be a bigger pain in the neck than outright crooks - as
they really do think they have right on their side.
And its often impossible to explain things to them and
get them to change their minds. Although your mileage may
vary. It's just fortunate that such people form a very
small minority overall.

michael adams

Old 19-06-2006, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

[...]

It is the very same picture we use on our selling labels, the last letter
indicated we should at our expense remove the "yellow rose" (which is now
20' plus) and replace same with a "white rose" i.e. physically go 150 miles
and do the planting! Still as you say such people are a tiny minority,
indeed this is the only customer we have had like it and since La Perle is
about the whitest rose I do there is little I can do to placate them.

Old 19-06-2006, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 19/6/06 08:06, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:the last letter

snip
indicated we should at our expense remove the "yellow rose" (which is now
20' plus) and replace same with a "white rose" i.e. physically go 150 miles
and do the planting! Still as you say such people are a tiny minority,
indeed this is the only customer we have had like it and since La Perle is
about the whitest rose I do there is little I can do to placate them.

I'd send them my post here and the David Austin description, too and put an
end to it. There's no arguing with the RHS charts because that's what they
exist for. As far as I can see, this sounds like a wind up and is utterly
ridiculous! Perhaps they've seen Climbing Iceberg and decided they like it
better! We had someone come in the other day complaining their Helenium had
died over the winter! Ray asked if it was alright last year and they said
that it had indeed, flowered its socks off but now it was dead and they
wanted another one. IOW, the wet and cold of this winter had killed what
was a perfectly healthy plant when they bought and planted it. For the sake
of good customer relations, we gave them another one but really..........!
It must have cost them all of £3.50 last year, if that and they probably
spent more on petrol coming here to moan about the forces of nature which
somehow, were our fault!
Send them the cost of the rose and tell them to use the money to get someone
to dig it out and replace it - if they can find anyone to do it!! ;-)

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 19-06-2006, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

[...]

"Seriously deranged", or as Sasha suggests "on a wind-up", are the
phrases I'm struggling with at this point.

michael adams

Old 19-06-2006, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

IME, mentally disturbed people are often very relieved when
somebody else calmly establishes a normal boundary.

Janet.

Sure seems to work on NewsGroups anyway!

michael adams

Isle of Arran Open Gardens weekend 21,22,23 July 2006
5 UKP three-day adult ticket (funds go to island charities) buys entry
to 26 private gardens

Old 19-06-2006, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
WRabbit

Charlie Pridham wrote:

It is the very same picture we use on our selling labels, the last
letter indicated we should at our expense remove the "yellow rose"
(which is now 20' plus) and replace same with a "white rose" i.e.
physically go 150 miles and do the planting! Still as you say such
people are a tiny minority, indeed this is the only customer we have
had like it and since La Perle is about the whitest rose I do there
is little I can do to placate them.

There isn't any possibility that a yellow rose got mislabeled? If it didn't
then it looks pretty white to me!

--
NK
Follow spamtrap instructions to reply

Old 20-06-2006, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike Lyle writes

Janet Baraclough wrote:

If the customer was rational, that would be the simplest solution.
Unfortunately, their behaviour so far suggests they are not rational. In
which case, it could be a very bad idea to appease the manipulative
delusional behaviour .

[...]

Hmm. Agreed on the mental-health principles. But I'm not sure that it's
good business practice to assume a customer is pathologically
delusional before all other possibilties have ben excluded. The rose
does, after all, objectively show a touch of yellowishness, as
mentioned in its description. What Charlie's told us is equally
consistent with obstinate stupidity or gross mick-taking -- both of
which are more common than loopiness. I'd set the boundaries exactly as
you describe, but send back the fiver at the same time "as a goodwill
gesture", and all bases would then be covered. I know the scale is
different, but I imagine that's what Marks and Spencer would do.

I'd be very worried indeed about any goodwill gesture being interpreted
as an 'admission of guilt'. There is some accepted way of wording it so
that the refund is a goodwill gesture 'without prejudice' - if you go
the refund route, take some advice about how to word it.
--
Kay

Pesticide/fungicide lookup charts [email protected] United Kingdom 3 16-08-2008 12:45 PM
Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) Colour Chart Rivers of Sand Marketplace 0 12-06-2008 07:41 PM
charts? *muffin* Ponds 4 22-09-2005 03:31 PM
charts??? *muffin* Ponds 6 25-07-2003 02:02 PM
nightime temp charts? Barbara Beardsley Edible Gardening 2 22-05-2003 09:32 PM