Old 16-08-2006, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rats

Hi everyone

I've sneaked over from uk.rec.waterways, someone there suggested I ask this
one here.

I live on a boat, and I have discovered a rats nest nearby.

My plan is to use one of those systemic weedkillers which will kill all the
vegetation near the boat, mainly stinging nettles and such, and neutralises
when it hits the ground, and next spring plant something else which rats
either despise or which will kill them when they eat it. Hopefully something
which will stop the repeated growth of nettles, grass etc. I don't mind what
it is, as long as it has the desired effect!

Any suggestions? There are no pets or anything nearby, I was guessing that
ragwort? might do the trick.

Old 16-08-2006, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Uncle Marvo wrote:
Hi everyone

I've sneaked over from uk.rec.waterways, someone there suggested I ask this
one here.

I live on a boat, and I have discovered a rats nest nearby.

My plan is to use one of those systemic weedkillers which will kill all the
vegetation near the boat, mainly stinging nettles and such, and neutralises
when it hits the ground, and next spring plant something else which rats
either despise or which will kill them when they eat it. Hopefully something
which will stop the repeated growth of nettles, grass etc. I don't mind what
it is, as long as it has the desired effect!

Any suggestions? There are no pets or anything nearby, I was guessing that
ragwort? might do the trick.

I'm sure you'll get far more competent advice from the resident
experts, but it strikes me as odd that to get rid of rats you're trying
to get rid of vegetation??? Rats are pretty adaptable creatures, I am
not sure *any* vegetation either particularly favours or particularly
disadvantages them.
I read somewhere that we're never more than a few feet away from a rat
- so even if you were to kill all inhabitants of the nearby nest, on a
river bank, chances are a few would come over for the wake and the
funeral...
OK - so this is not what you want to hear... but I'm not sure drenching
the place in roundup then planting ragwort (??!!) will rid you of the
critters.
FWIW - I had rats in my compost heap some time back, and found that
regularly turning it prevented them from settling. Basically, they
don't like being disturbed. Now, I have none. Maybe creating
disturbance by ploughing up around the nest and trampling around it
every so often might persuade them to go look for quieter lodgings, and
discourage potential new squatters? Just a thought.

Cat(h)

Old 16-08-2006, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Uncle Marvo wrote:

Hi everyone

I've sneaked over from uk.rec.waterways, someone there suggested I ask
this one here.

I live on a boat, and I have discovered a rats nest nearby.

My plan is to use one of those systemic weedkillers which will kill all
the vegetation near the boat, mainly stinging nettles and such, and
neutralises when it hits the ground, and next spring plant something else
which rats either despise or which will kill them when they eat it.
Hopefully something which will stop the repeated growth of nettles, grass
etc. I don't mind what it is, as long as it has the desired effect!

Any suggestions? There are no pets or anything nearby, I was guessing that
ragwort? might do the trick.

Ragwort isn't actually very poisonous at all. I am aware there is a lot of
hysteria being spread by certain commercial interests but I have taken the
trouble to thorougly review the scientific literature.

For more information http://www.ragwortfacts.com/

Neil Jones

Old 16-08-2006, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/8/06 15:08, in article , "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:

Hi everyone

I've sneaked over from uk.rec.waterways, someone there suggested I ask this
one here.

I live on a boat, and I have discovered a rats nest nearby.

My plan is to use one of those systemic weedkillers which will kill all the
vegetation near the boat, mainly stinging nettles and such, and neutralises
when it hits the ground, and next spring plant something else which rats
either despise or which will kill them when they eat it. Hopefully something
which will stop the repeated growth of nettles, grass etc. I don't mind what
it is, as long as it has the desired effect!

Any suggestions? There are no pets or anything nearby, I was guessing that
ragwort? might do the trick.

Apart from actual rat poison, I don't there there's anything that kills rats
other than a shovel or a shotgun! If there were, we'd be growing it.
Nettles will, in any case, almost certainly swamp anything you plant and
perhaps the vegetation is keeping the bank stable? If you're worried about
the rats getting onto your boat, can I ask how you're mooring? In certain
ports in the Med it's unwise to moor alongside because of rats on the quays,
so most boats go stern-to and raise the passarelle at night, putting those
rat guard things on the mooring lines. Can you do that to protect your
boat?
I must say, too, that I think a mass killing of vegetation on which insects
feed is not a good road to go down when, presumably, you like living on a
boat because of the surroundings etc. that you live in! Some of the poison
is almost certain to get into the water and may well be harmful to fish or
other water life. If you feel you must do something to the vegetation, I'd
be inclined just to keep it cut back.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-08-2006, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Wise words - that is, I was going to say exactly the same things :-)

Mary

Cat(h)

Old 16-08-2006, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Yeah, **** off somewhere else. Prat.

Old 16-08-2006, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16 Aug 2006 07:25:46 -0700, "Cat(h)" wrote:

Uncle Marvo wrote:
Hi everyone

I've sneaked over from uk.rec.waterways, someone there suggested I ask this
one here.

I live on a boat, and I have discovered a rats nest nearby.

Maybe you could just start up your smelly, smokey engines and annoy
the rats, just like you do with your neighbours?

You're a ****ing dick.

Old 16-08-2006, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I agree with all previous answers...... makes sense.
However, depending on your personal outlook on vermin, there is an
alternative answer.
My pal is a member of our local AIR rifle club, (as opposed to a rifle
club) and he often tells me that they welcome hearing from people who
have problems with vermin. It gives hunters invaluable practice and is
mutually beneficial.....and they don't charge.
But be aware, often they are unable to help because they have to comply
with rigid laws on where one can and cannot shoot......safety of the
public is paramount obviously. So I suggest a call seeking advice to
your local air rifle club or your local gunsmith/stockist.
pp.

Old 16-08-2006, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I bet they don't. What pervert would charge to pursue their pleasure?

But be aware, often they are unable to help because they have to comply
with rigid laws on where one can and cannot shoot......safety of the
public is paramount obviously.

With good reason. We don't want these weirdo's roaming free all over
the country.

Not only that, the **** with the boat not on his own land, so has no
rights to pollute the area. My advice would be for him to jump in the
lake.

Old 16-08-2006, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
[...]

Let's get this straight. You have discovered that rats live in your stretch
of river/canal bank, and are wondering whether it's possible to clear the
existing vegetation near your boat and replace it with something which will
kill/deter rats?

First off, you should be careful using any pesticide, including glyphosate,
near a watercourse. You might cause unintentional damage to the ecosystem.

Secondly, I don't think there's any plant you can grow on the bank which
will deter or kill rats.If you find any which do, you will probably make a
fortune!

Old 16-08-2006, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 19:39:14 +0100, "BAC"
wrote:

[...]

Bearing in mind its not his riverbank, or his river!

Old 16-08-2006, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"©¿©" wrote in message

Amongst other drivel, this poster wrote :-

Bearing in mind its not his riverbank, or his river!

Please drivel orf.

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 16-08-2006, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

Bearing in mind its not his riverbank, or his river!

Bear in mind that it is my mooring, for which I pay, and it is up to me to
keep it orderly.

That is why I asked on this group, because I wanted some useful advice,
exactly what I have been given by other posters and which I will take on
board in order to find a solution which is both eco-friendly and effective.

I suspect that I shall implement something which rats don't like, as opposed
to something which kills them, if I can. If not, maybe I will ensure that
they don't get on to the boat by some other means.

I am guessing that you don't like boats much, which is a shame because most
of the boaters I know are not malicious people, do not have smelly engines,
and contribute an enormous amount to the upkeep of the river. In addition,
they can largely string more than half a dozen words together without
resorting to rudeness and anglo-saxon expletives.

I am guessing that you don't normally frequent this NG? If so, I sympathise
with the other members. If not, why would you want to come in and just be
rude?

What does interest me is whether you are an American. The structure of your
sentences and certain colloquialisms indicate that this is so.

Anyway, I'm on holiday tomorrow for a week. I look forward to your answer on
my return. Have a nice day!

Unc

Old 16-08-2006, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I sympathise with the other members.
Unc

He is just a troll, best ignored. Most regulars to this group probably have
him in their killfile (me included) so never see his drivel anyway.

Old 16-08-2006, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Correct - he is a newcomer.
Good detection - may well be a foreigner.
Pete
www.truebrithaveanicehol.com

Rats, Rats, R-A-T-S J. Farnsworth Wallaby Gardening 13 07-08-2003 03:32 AM
Rats and mice Just a little bit Australia 12 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
Rats in garden Paul Australia 6 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
[IBC] Tree Rats Louis Brooks Bonsai 0 16-02-2003 05:03 PM
rats in compost Nat United Kingdom 14 31-01-2003 08:18 PM