Old 18-09-2006, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Errors of new allotment gardeners.

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 michael adams wrote:

Charles Jennens was the Librettist of Handel's "Messiah" BTW.

Actually he wasn't! Jennens didn't write the words, he selected them
from the Bible.

David

You misunderstand.

Apart from neologisms, all authors "select" words and phrases already
found in dictionaries, and in previous works of literature.

The function of a librettist, is to select those words or phrases which
match as closely and pleasingly as possible, the music to which they
are to be set.

In choosing an existing work of literature, this possibly made Jennens
task as a Libettist even more difficult, than it might otherwise have
been.

The words and phrases selected by Charles Jennens, match the music
which G.F. Handel composed for "The Messiah".

And so therefore, as previously stated, Charles Jennens was the
librettist of "The Messiah"

michael adams

David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 18-09-2006, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes

. Install a ratproof floor

Janet what is rat proof? I might like to do that in my shed as I am
always fearful a trapped rat may launch itself out at me having gnawed
its way in overnight.

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 18-09-2006, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Paul Corfield" wrote after:

Every one of your comments could have been turned round so that

they
didn't sound as if you were telling people off.

But that is just the point, I was not telling anyone off and I

don't
think
it sounded like that either, just short and to the point.

That's how I read them :-)) But then I'm Australian and we do

have
rather a reputation for calling a spade a bloody shovel.

IMO, Bob made helpful observations based on his own experiences. At

no point
did he seem to me to be saying anything derogatory.

Precisely. As Bob so rightly said, short and to the point. No
faffing about because it all made perfect sense.

Old 18-09-2006, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article Janet Baraclough writes

. Install a ratproof floor

Janet what is rat proof? I might like to do that in my shed as I am
always fearful a trapped rat may launch itself out at me having

gnawed
its way in overnight.

Take comfort, a rat is more likely to run at speed in the other
direction than to launch itself at you. A ratprrof floor would in the
case that Janet was writing about be a fairly fine wire mesh (or
concrete for a permanent chook house, but even then the sods just
build nests under the concrete)

Old 18-09-2006, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Rance wrote:
Oh dear, now I've started dishing out good advice. Perhaps I'd better
dele........

)))

You are right. The advantages of this newsgroup far outweigh the
disadvantages. And I think it's why people fight to stay. However,
without pointing and pocking, two people have admitted so far that
they've been targetted, abused etc. in the start of posting here, you
are one of them David, but kept on staying. But then, if it's
unpleasant, why give the same treatment to new comers?

Let's just agreed to disagree and stop pretending to know another one's
life when we obviously don't. I mean - I've been told I'm don't work
where I work. I think that's bizarre. I've been told I'm a troll, when
it's obvious I'm not (and was obvious from the start). I've done many
wrong, but I was pocked and cornered - I defended myself as best I
could.

I don't want to score points. There's lots of misunderstandings which
have escalated into full wars. But if only some of us knew how much we
appreaciate each others knowledge, tips, stories ... There's lots of
different walks of life in this forum. There's young people, middle
aged people, old people, lurkers, trollers, OTs experts ... French,
Dutch ... Scottish. The immediate feeling is that if you're different
you're not accepted. If your ideas are different, you're not accepted.
And the frustration is immense. It should be obvious to those that
pushes out someone that if they keep doing it without results it's
because the poster wants to stay here for the info and fun he/she gets,
the love of gardening and sharing ideas, and the meetings of new
friends outside urg etc. and not just to **** people off!!

Voila.

Old 18-09-2006, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 michael adams wrote:

Charles Jennens was the Librettist of Handel's "Messiah" BTW.

Actually he wasn't! Jennens didn't write the words, he selected them
from the Bible.

You misunderstand.

Apart from neologisms, all authors "select" words and phrases already
found in dictionaries, and in previous works of literature.

The function of a librettist, is to select those words or phrases which
match as closely and pleasingly as possible, the music to which they
are to be set.

In choosing an existing work of literature, this possibly made Jennens
task as a Libettist even more difficult, than it might otherwise have
been.

The words and phrases selected by Charles Jennens, match the music
which G.F. Handel composed for "The Messiah".

Ahem, you're obviously not well-versed in the process of writing vocal
music.

With very few exceptions, music is written for words that already
exist, not the other way round. So Jennens did not choose words that
would fit into Handel's music. He selected the words from the Bible and
handed them to Handel who then proceeded to write the music (within the
space of three weeks!).

And so therefore, as previously stated, Charles Jennens was the
librettist of "The Messiah"

Well, yours is certainly an unusual interpretation of the word
librettist and one in all my years as a musician and musicologist I've
never met before! :-)

Come on, you'd be better off doing your gardening. You probably know far
more about that than I do! :-)

David

Old 18-09-2006, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 Janet Baraclough wrote:

(historical note, for those who think we don't give helpful info )
Sacha was posting in the name of her dog . This did cause a small
degree of confusion.

:-)

Oh? So what's her real name?

:-)

When she decloaked, the revelation (to me) was, that the "dog chap"
turned out to be a dog lady . I had mistakenly read the posts as coming
from a gay dog.

Oooh! Now if that had been written back in the '30s it would have meant
something entirely different! ;-)

David

Old 18-09-2006, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Paul Corfield writes

However it's all academic as it is obvious that I am in a ridiculously
small minority against the long term experts on the group and there is
no point in continuing the debate. You've all decided what is right and
no criticism or comment is permitted judging from the "defence" posts
that sprang up within minutes.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. I said much the same as you did, and I
don't think I was the only one. I'm not an expert, but I'm certainly one
of the people who's been posting here for longest.

This "place" really, really is incredible. I've said it before - I
thought gardeners were supposed to be nice people and gentle with it.

Whatever gave you that idea? ;-)
We're the same as any other group of people

This place is the antithesis of that unless your face "fits".

Please don't be taken in by the troublemakers on this group.

--
Kay
Old 18-09-2006, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Anne Jackson writes

....which it is, if only the 'experts' would remember that it isn't their
exclusive group....some come here to learn, too many come here to lecture...

Most of us (even those who answer more questions than they ask) come
here to learn, a few come here to stir up trouble. If it wasn't for the
experts on this group, the new gardeners would not get answers to their
questions.

--
Kay
Old 18-09-2006, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Janet Baraclough writes

Anne, perhaps you missed the beginning of the thread. Try reading
Bob's innocent, helpful advice post. (and his subsequent comments). They
are far from "lecturing" or "exclusive" , and certainly not
"condemnatory ".

They were well meant, but I wouldn't have liked to be on the receiving
end of them - they were a bit terse. I could only too readily imagine
similar comments about some of my corner-cutting! But I presume Bob
would have phrased them more gently had he been addressing them to an
individual.

--
Kay
Old 18-09-2006, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 Janet Baraclough wrote:

(historical note, for those who think we don't give helpful info )
Sacha was posting in the name of her dog . This did cause a small
degree of confusion.

:-)

Oh? So what's her real name?

:-)

When she decloaked, the revelation (to me) was, that the "dog chap"
turned out to be a dog lady . I had mistakenly read the posts as coming
from a gay dog.

Oooh! Now if that had been written back in the '30s it would have meant
something entirely different! ;-)

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Well it still could mean something entirely different today :-)

Old 18-09-2006, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

somebody wrote:
This "place" really, really is incredible. I've said it before - I
thought gardeners were supposed to be nice people and gentle with it.

Nah.......... murderous lot we a

Treading on snails, slugs and bugs
Chopping things down with vicious chain saws
Pruning shrubs to an inch of their lives
Poisoning moles and various other nuisances

Jack Nicholson beware :~)
Jenny