Old 15-09-2006, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Errors of new allotment gardeners.

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 Uncle Marvo wrote:

Now this is the problem, (disgusting yes I agree), but
is it penises or penie ?

Any experts in grammar/english/plurals here?

It can be either penises or penes.

Oh no, here we go, it can't. It is archaic, because the word has been
absorbed into English.

Not according to the Oxford English Dictionary from whence I got those
plurals.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 15-09-2006, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Uncle Marvo writes
, I, Marvo, say :

If you watch a polyglot speak alien languages (something I do often) you
will see that their face changes completely. An indigenous Englishperson
speaking French will make his/her nose "thinner" and pout.

Yes, I'd come to the same conclusion, from trying to see just how
geordies massacre vowels, and then from trying to reproduce portuguese
sounds. Unfortunately, I have a lousy ear, so although I can pick up
grammar fairly easily, I only get half way through 'kalimera', bom dia'
or whatever before the native speaker responds to me in english!
--
Kay
Old 15-09-2006, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Uncle Marvo writes
, I, Marvo, say :

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 Mike wrote:

Now this is the problem, (disgusting yes I agree), but
is it penises or penie ?

Any experts in grammar/english/plurals here?

It can be either penises or penes.

Oh no, here we go, it can't. It is archaic, because the word has been
absorbed into English. It's etymology is latin but the word no longer is,
thus its plural follows the rules of English.

But we don't say 'thesises' or 'analysises' (or even 'sheeps')
--
Kay
Old 15-09-2006, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 Uncle Marvo wrote:
It can be either penises or penes.

Oh no, here we go, it can't. It is archaic, because the word has been
absorbed into English.

Not according to the Oxford English Dictionary from whence I got those
plurals.

From memory, the OED still carries the word yclept.

Yclept is marked as archaic. Penises and penes are not! :-)

I wouldn't use it.

I don't expect you would need to.

David

Old 15-09-2006, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Uncle Marvo writes
in
, I, Marvo, say :

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 Mike wrote:

Now this is the problem, (disgusting yes I agree), but
is it penises or penie ?

Any experts in grammar/english/plurals here?

It can be either penises or penes.

Oh no, here we go, it can't. It is archaic, because the word has been
absorbed into English. It's etymology is latin but the word no longer is,
thus its plural follows the rules of English.

But we don't say 'thesises' or 'analysises' (or even 'sheeps')

But some people do say 'agendas', and 'forums'

Steve

Old 15-09-2006, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote
If you watch a polyglot speak alien languages (something I do often) you
will see that their face changes completely. An indigenous Englishperson
speaking French will make his/her nose "thinner" and pout.
Really.

Hi Marvo,
Well you have managed to lure be back into URG........I keep reading all
your posts and could not resist chipping in here :~))

I have a theory that children's mouths and facial muscles are trained into
certain positions while they learn the speak in whatever tongue they grow up
with. That's why it's so hard to learn to speak another language properly
when you are older.

Knew a girl once whose father was something in the diplomatic service. She'd
grown up in various countries and spoke English, French, German and Dutch
like a native - she'd obviously trained ALL her facial muscles when they
were still malleable :~))

People say I speak almost perfect Dutch until they hear me trying to
pronounce a word with the 'eeu' sound in it. Can't get my lips round that
sound at all, even after 30 odd years here ! Example: meeuw=seagull or
sneewklokje=snowdrop - there, got a gardening reference in to get us all
back on topic!

Jenny

Old 15-09-2006, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

JennyC wrote:
Example: meeuw=seagull or
sneewklokje=snowdrop - there, got a gardening reference in to get us all
back on topic!

Evenin there! All are glued to GW on the telly ;o) Just us here, I
think g

Do elaborate on the Dutch snowdrops please. What did you say it's name
was again?

here have a glass of Claret

Old 16-09-2006, 12:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

JennyC writes

I have a theory that children's mouths and facial muscles are trained into
certain positions while they learn the speak in whatever tongue they grow up
with. That's why it's so hard to learn to speak another language properly
when you are older.

I read somewhere that very young children apparently are able to hear a
whole range of sounds, but they become accustomed to those they hear
every day, and stop being able to hear the ones they don't usually hear
(in the sense that the brain no longer recognises them). So learning a
foreign language later is difficult because the brain has lost the
capacity to hear the sounds that aren't also part of the native
language.

One of my sons had a period of deafness while small. Although this was
corrected, and his results on tests showed him to be able to hear the
whole range of frequencies, the deafness seems to have coincided with
the critical period, and his speech and hearing was consistent with him
not being able to hear a whole range of sounds (basically all the
consonants), even though there was now nothing physically wrong with his
hearing.

--
Kay
Old 16-09-2006, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

JennyC wrote:
Example: meeuw=seagull or
sneewklokje=snowdrop - there, got a gardening reference in to get us all
back on topic!

Evenin there! All are glued to GW on the telly ;o) Just us here, I
think g

Missed the beginning, but caught Carol planting seeds............I find her
most inspirational (might be because of her hair style tho!)

Do elaborate on the Dutch snowdrops please. What did you say it's name
was again?

Sneeuw = snow klokje=bell They don't seem to call them drops here :~)
Found some nice (Dutch) pictures on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=snee...je&w=all&s=int

here have a glass of Claret

Nah. Started a diet last week!

Jenny

Old 16-09-2006, 07:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
JennyC writes

I have a theory that children's mouths and facial muscles are trained into
certain positions while they learn the speak in whatever tongue they grow
up
with. That's why it's so hard to learn to speak another language properly
when you are older.

I read somewhere that very young children apparently are able to hear a
whole range of sounds, but they become accustomed to those they hear every
day, and stop being able to hear the ones they don't usually hear (in the
sense that the brain no longer recognises them). So learning a foreign
language later is difficult because the brain has lost the capacity to
hear the sounds that aren't also part of the native language.

Agghh So what on earth is my French going to sound like !
Jenny

Old 16-09-2006, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

JennyC wrote:
Missed the beginning, but caught Carol planting seeds............I find her
most inspirational (might be because of her hair style tho!)

I love her voice - she could be a fine blues singer. I wonder how many
she smokes a day.

Sneeuw = snow klokje=bell They don't seem to call them drops here :~)

SniouuClokre? I'm impressed - I could listen to Dutch all day long ....
Which reminds me I forgot to sing you Frere Jacques in Dutch!! The only
Dutch I know.

Found some nice (Dutch) pictures on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=snee...je&w=all&s=int

A super really brilliant site - thanks. But are you not in there? You
have taken really good pictures. Go on, open a page on it - or are you
there under a pseudo?

Nah. Started a diet last week!

All the more to have one!!!! You'll forget to eat )