Old 13-10-2006, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fighting Ring this Way

"Sacha" wrote in message

The other standard angle is to involve a haddock or member of the cod
family
at least.

Mornington Crescent?

(I'll get my coat).

Ooooooooooh - that's a *really* wicked one!
--
Sacha

I don't get that one :-( Anyone care to explain - I feel like I'm missing
something?

David

Old 13-10-2006, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David in Normandy
writes
"Sacha" wrote in message

The other standard angle is to involve a haddock or member of the cod
family
at least.

Mornington Crescent?

(I'll get my coat).

Ooooooooooh - that's a *really* wicked one!
--
Sacha

I don't get that one :-( Anyone care to explain - I feel like I'm missing
something?

Sorry David. I wasn't trying to be clever. It comes from a programme
on Radio 4 and has been around for many, many years. 'Sorry I haven't a
Clue', chaired by Humphrey Lyttleton, who asks people to do silly
things. There is a daft game where they have to say names of Tube
Stations and the first to say' Mornington Crescent' wins. IMNSHO, it is
one of the best programmes ever, along with 'Just a Minute'.
--
June Hughes
Old 13-10-2006, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/10/06 08:58, in article ,
"David in Normandy" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

The other standard angle is to involve a haddock or member of the cod
family
at least.

Mornington Crescent?

(I'll get my coat).

Ooooooooooh - that's a *really* wicked one!
--
Sacha

I don't get that one :-( Anyone care to explain - I feel like I'm missing
something?

I couldn't even start to explain it, so:
http://www.amazonsystems.co.uk/data/morn.htm
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-10-2006, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
news:452ed20c$0$1456$5a62ac22@per-qv1- One of my favourite expressions
for an ugly person is "head like a
seagoing tadpole".

I do like Aussie-isms.

Have you heard the one for the vulgar/lying/profane - "a gobb like a
robber's dog"?

My favourite two for an ugly person a

1) Face like a sack full of spanners.

2) Face like a bulldog chewing a wasp.

David.

"Face like a chewed whelk"

Old 13-10-2006, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
On 12/10/06 11:41, in article
, "Des Higgins"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 12/10/06 11:05, in article
, "Des Higgins"
wrote:

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 12/10/06 10:07, in article
, "Farm1"
please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

I will not be able to believe a word you say - situation normal.

I find it fascinating that for although Puce claims to NOT be a troll
and asks to be left alone, she starts a thread with this title and
then proceeds to keep putting in snippets from other's posts that is
simply guaranteed to keep the arguments going.

She short a few kangaroos in the paddock, a few tinnies short of a
party, and hasn't got all her chairs at home.

Haven't heard those before! The Italian equivalent is "he's missing a
few
Fridays", which is a really weird one.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

A sandwich short of a picnic..
A penny short of a shilling.....
"a sausage short of a barbecue

A bicycle short of a surrealist convention

Lobster.

That presumably is the post-modern, content free punchline to the standard
surrealist joke in Devon.
In Dublin it used to be:

Man walks into a bakery and asks for a loaf of bread.
Baker asks: white or brown?
man says: it's ok; I left my bicycle outside.

The other standard angle is to involve a haddock or member of the cod family
at least.

Makes me think of the Irish joke where Paddy and Seamus go into a café and
the waitress comes up to ask what they'd like. Paddy says "I'd like a
quickie", so the waitress cuffs him round the ear and storms off. He looks
at Seamus and says "what did I do" and Seamus says "er, Paddy, I think it's
pronounced 'keesh'".

A catholic, a protestant and a jew go into a bar. The barman says:
"What is this? A joke?"

We had a tape of a fabulous Irish comedian telling a never-ending stream of
Irish jokes but the machine chewed it up and we can't remember his name.
No, not Dave Allen!

Old 13-10-2006, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
Starting this thread is the best thing you could have done

I know how to start a hake of a good party going and you are no longer
rudd with me anymore. So I think I've achieve something good in the
end. Let's hope it last.

Old 13-10-2006, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message

1) Face like a sack full of spanners.

2) Face like a bulldog chewing a wasp.

:-)) The one about the bulldog is simply wonderful.

Another of my favourites for a particular posterior is:
An arse like a sack full of ferrets.

Old 13-10-2006, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote in message

Sorry David. I wasn't trying to be clever. It comes from a

programme
on Radio 4 and has been around for many, many years. 'Sorry I

haven't a
Clue', chaired by Humphrey Lyttleton, who asks people to do silly
things.

I actually hear snippets of that show here in Oz. It's wonderfully
silly and I always wish they'd play the entire show rather than just
small bits of it.

Old 13-10-2006, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
, Farm1
writes
"June Hughes" wrote in message

Sorry David. I wasn't trying to be clever. It comes from a

programme
on Radio 4 and has been around for many, many years. 'Sorry I

haven't a
Clue', chaired by Humphrey Lyttleton, who asks people to do silly
things.

I actually hear snippets of that show here in Oz. It's wonderfully
silly and I always wish they'd play the entire show rather than just
small bits of it.

You can buy several series on CD. (We play them in the car on long
journeys
--
June Hughes
Old 13-10-2006, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
, Farm1
writes
"David in Normandy" wrote in message

1) Face like a sack full of spanners.

2) Face like a bulldog chewing a wasp.

:-)) The one about the bulldog is simply wonderful.

Another of my favourites for a particular posterior is:
An arse like a sack full of ferrets.

When we were growing up in Cumbria, we knew a man whose wife was rather
plump. She bought a new dress and when asked if he liked it, he
replied, 'Ee lass, - tha looks like a bag o' boiled sweets!'.
--
June Hughes
Old 13-10-2006, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote in message
Farm1 writes
"June Hughes" wrote in message

Sorry David. I wasn't trying to be clever. It comes from a

programme
on Radio 4 and has been around for many, many years. 'Sorry I

haven't a
Clue', chaired by Humphrey Lyttleton, who asks people to do silly
things.

I actually hear snippets of that show here in Oz. It's wonderfully
silly and I always wish they'd play the entire show rather than

just
small bits of it.

You can buy several series on CD. (We play them in the car on long
journeys

Thank you! I love that show so I'll do a hunt for the CDs.

Old 13-10-2006, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote in message

When we were growing up in Cumbria, we knew a man whose wife was

rather
plump. She bought a new dress and when asked if he liked it, he
replied, 'Ee lass, - tha looks like a bag o' boiled sweets!'.

:-)) Did he live to repeat the 'compliment'?

Old 14-10-2006, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Anne Jackson writes
The message from "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)"
contains these words:
"David in Normandy" wrote in message
Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
news:452ed20c$0$1456$5a62ac22@per-qv1- One of my favourite
expressions
for an ugly person is "head like a
seagoing tadpole".

I do like Aussie-isms.

Have you heard the one for the vulgar/lying/profane - "a gobb like a
robber's dog"?

My favourite two for an ugly person a

1) Face like a sack full of spanners.

2) Face like a bulldog chewing a wasp.

"Face like a chewed whelk"

Or the Scottishism "A face like a weel-skelped erse"!

We have charities working hard to try and get acceptance in society
those who have facial defects either inherited or as a result of injury,
women trying hard to be judged on the basis of what they can do rather
than on their appearance, and here we are putting forwards 'amusing'
ways to put down people we do not feel look as attractive as ourselves.
--
Kay