Old 14-10-2006, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fighting Ring this Way

In message , K
writes
Anne Jackson writes
The message from "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)"
contains these words:
"David in Normandy" wrote in message
Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
news:452ed20c$0$1456$5a62ac22@per-qv1- One of my favourite
expressions
for an ugly person is "head like a
seagoing tadpole".

I do like Aussie-isms.

Have you heard the one for the vulgar/lying/profane - "a gobb like a
robber's dog"?

My favourite two for an ugly person a

1) Face like a sack full of spanners.

2) Face like a bulldog chewing a wasp.

"Face like a chewed whelk"

Or the Scottishism "A face like a weel-skelped erse"!

We have charities working hard to try and get acceptance in society
those who have facial defects either inherited or as a result of
injury, women trying hard to be judged on the basis of what they can do
rather than on their appearance, and here we are putting forwards
'amusing' ways to put down people we do not feel look as attractive as
ourselves.

And if our political correctness gets any dafter, we shall all disappear
up our own patronising, condescending and ludicrous posterior orifices.
--
June Hughes
Old 14-10-2006, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

June Hughes writes

We have charities working hard to try and get acceptance in society
those who have facial defects either inherited or as a result of
injury, women trying hard to be judged on the basis of what they can
do rather than on their appearance, and here we are putting forwards
'amusing' ways to put down people we do not feel look as attractive as
ourselves.

And if our political correctness gets any dafter, we shall all
disappear up our own patronising, condescending and ludicrous posterior
orifices.

I don't think it's either daft or 'politically correct' to try to treat
each other in a civilised fashion and to judge people on their
individual merits.
--
Kay
Old 14-10-2006, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/10/06 10:51, in article , "K"
wrote:

June Hughes writes

We have charities working hard to try and get acceptance in society
those who have facial defects either inherited or as a result of
injury, women trying hard to be judged on the basis of what they can
do rather than on their appearance, and here we are putting forwards
'amusing' ways to put down people we do not feel look as attractive as
ourselves.

And if our political correctness gets any dafter, we shall all
disappear up our own patronising, condescending and ludicrous posterior
orifices.

I don't think it's either daft or 'politically correct' to try to treat
each other in a civilised fashion and to judge people on their
individual merits.

That's true but we're not discussing individuals, after all.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-10-2006, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
June Hughes writes

We have charities working hard to try and get acceptance in society
those who have facial defects either inherited or as a result of
injury, women trying hard to be judged on the basis of what they can
do rather than on their appearance, and here we are putting forwards
'amusing' ways to put down people we do not feel look as attractive as ourselves.

And if our political correctness gets any dafter, we shall all
disappear up our own patronising, condescending and ludicrous
posterior orifices.

I don't think it's either daft or 'politically correct' to try to treat
each other in a civilised fashion and to judge people on their
individual merits.

No, but the posters weren't naming anyone. All they were doing is
quoting sayings, which still exist whether you like it or not.
--
June Hughes

Old 14-10-2006, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message

We have charities working hard to try and get acceptance in society
those who have facial defects either inherited or as a result of

injury,
women trying hard to be judged on the basis of what they can do

rather
than on their appearance, and here we are putting forwards 'amusing'
ways to put down people we do not feel look as attractive as

ourselves.

There are always people who are super sensitive about anything and
everything. There are also just as many people who can live happily
within their own skin and with how they look, however they look. That
includes people who do suffer from horrific inherited and acquired
facial or physical injuries which is not what I thought was being
discussed here.

I've just spent months wandering round my village as bald as an eagle
because of cancer treatment. I very quickly found out that no-one
cared if I didn't. In fact my "who gives a......." attitude, made so
many people more comfortable that I was initially asked multiple times
if I'd been shaved for a charity fund raiser.

And subsequently when I said that it was cancer and they got over
being embarrassed by what they perceived as as being insensitive and
committing a social faux pas, I was then constantly asked how I was
and how my treatment was progressing. Darn silly question IMHO. My
response was to tell them I was still alive and to ask me again in 5
years time if I was still around.

Old 14-10-2006, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Farm1 wrote:
There are always people who are super sensitive about anything and
everything.

It's hard to be told you have no friends. It's hard to be able to
justify yourself when some have already made an opinion of you based on
false accusations or perhaps based on tit for tat and silly arguments
or perhaps simple misunderstanding. The worst of it is when a group of
people 'gang up' on you. I've never cope as a kid with this but I moved
about a lot and therefore didn't have to face the same idiots. As a
result I've never indulged in it. I find it terribly cruel.

Saying it like it is is the only real way to proceed in this crazy
world. Some of us are perhaps too forward, too open, too soft or
perhaps too kind and therefore leave themselves at the mercy of any
incredulous people who takes pleasure in bringing them down once
they've seen the soft points not realising off course that these might
also be qualities. One must have a rhino skin to survive.

However this is nothing, absolutely nothing compared to what you have
been through.

You have a rhino skin now and whatever is being thrown at you is
totally unsignificant. It is however not an escuse to think all others
to be weak for not seeing the 'funny side' of suffering. Nobody really
knows what the other feels or what he/she has been through.

Old 14-10-2006, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:
There are always people who are super sensitive about anything and
everything.

You have a rhino skin now and whatever is being thrown at you is
totally unsignificant. It is however not an escuse to think all

others
to be weak for not seeing the 'funny side' of suffering. Nobody

really
knows what the other feels or what he/she has been through.

This is not the first lot of primary cancer I have had and it may not
be the last. I do not feel sorry for myself and I don't use my health
as an excuse. It is simply the life I've been given.

What I do know is that I am responsible for how I feel and for how I
perceive the world. All people are similarly responsible but some
choose not accept that responsibility.

Old 14-10-2006, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 10:20:23 +0100, June Hughes
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

[...]

Exactly. Some people need to get a sense-of-humour transplant.

There's always place in society for an apt description of someone's
adopted facial expression which has nothing to do with denigration of
their given physiognomy. To describe Colin Montgomery, for example,
as having a face like a squeezed-out sporran is comment, probably
often accurate, and describes his humour and state of mind, not some
unfortunate facial fault which can't be rectified..
--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³

Old 14-10-2006, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 21:44:31 +1000, "Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow
wrote and included this (or some of this):

"David in Normandy" wrote in message

1) Face like a sack full of spanners.

2) Face like a bulldog chewing a wasp.

:-)) The one about the bulldog is simply wonderful.

Another of my favourites for a particular posterior is:
An arse like a sack full of ferrets.

I like "Two puppies fighting in a sack" as a compliment to a
well-endowed chest.

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³
Old 14-10-2006, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Alan Holmes wrote:
From my vast experience of working with people with 'qualifications',
generally the people who boast about their 'qualifications', are
generally
thick headed, and have no practical experience.

I cannot beleive you would say something like this. It's like saying
people therefore don't need education. I'd rather see some stats on
this. Post your proof Alan ;o)

Other than personal experience there is nothing I can quote, on one occasion
I was instructed to build a peice of electronic equipment using a
transformer from a catalogue, in those idys we used transforners to drive
equipment using valves and to make life easier, the valves were used in a
sort of push-pull arrangement, the transformers used to have a tapped
winding and for one half of the cycle drew power from one half of the
winding, on the other half cycle it drew power from the other half of the
winding, so the transformers were sold as eg 250-0-250 at 200 milliamps,
which meant that the output would finish at 250 volt at 200 milliamps,
having worked with these things fot a number of years I was well aware of
their capabilities, but the clever person with the 'qualifications' would
not take any notice of me, because I had not sat the same exams as he had,
so I was just an idiot!

He read the transformer details as being 500 volts at 200 milliamps, which
was double the output for the size of the thing, but, as I say, he
considered me, a common technician, to be an idiot, and would not listen, so
I built the device as he wanted, although I did make sure it went into a box
which would not take a transformer double the size as it should have been, I
passed the completed device to him and left quickly as I didn't want to be
present when it exploded, alhough I did remain within earshot, it was a very
satisfying noise!

Alan

Old 14-10-2006, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
June Hughes writes

We have charities working hard to try and get acceptance in society
those who have facial defects either inherited or as a result of injury,
women trying hard to be judged on the basis of what they can do rather
than on their appearance, and here we are putting forwards 'amusing' ways
to put down people we do not feel look as attractive as ourselves.

And if our political correctness gets any dafter, we shall all disappear
up our own patronising, condescending and ludicrous posterior orifices.

I don't think it's either daft or 'politically correct' to try to treat
each other in a civilised fashion and to judge people on their individual
merits.

But, do you really think, someone would use any of these comments to descibe
someone they knew?

Alan

--
Kay