Old 31-10-2006, 09:26 PM
Registered User

Question Blackberries

Hello Folks, first timer here,

A Basic question.

If I were to plant a single blackberry in a pot and care for it inside the house, would a blackberry plant start to grow, if so then when it is mature enough could it be transported to the garden to continue then produce fruit when ready.

I have had a look on the internet but a lot of the info seems to be about purchasing cuttings and ready made canes etc, however I just like the idea of growing from scratch and making it my project rather than purchasing a ready made plant.

Thank you in advance.

Darren
Old 01-11-2006, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Blackberries

"Darren" wrote in message
news

Hello Folks, first timer here,

A Basic question.

If I were to plant a single blackberry in a pot and care for it inside
the house, would a blackberry plant start to grow, if so then when it
is mature enough could it be transported to the garden to continue then
produce fruit when ready.

I have had a look on the internet but a lot of the info seems to be
about purchasing cuttings and ready made canes etc, however I just like
the idea of growing from scratch and making it my project rather than
purchasing a ready made plant.

Thank you in advance.
Darren

Funny how you sit here reading URG and suddenly think 'why have i never
considered that before?" :~))))

Intrigued I went a googling....

Seems to be quite a few sites that mention them growing from seed. Several
sites even has it down as an invasive weed in the wild :~)

Some mention that the seed needs to go thought a bird digestion to break
down the hard coating.

Why not just give it a go. Plant some in a pot indoors and some outside in
the garden.. let us know what happens :~))

Jenny

Old 01-11-2006, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 21:26:19 +0000, Darren
wrote:

Hello Folks, first timer here,

A Basic question.

If I were to plant a single blackberry in a pot and care for it inside
the house, would a blackberry plant start to grow, if so then when it
is mature enough could it be transported to the garden to continue then
produce fruit when ready.

I have had a look on the internet but a lot of the info seems to be
about purchasing cuttings and ready made canes etc, however I just like
the idea of growing from scratch and making it my project rather than
purchasing a ready made plant.

Even if it did grow, you would not know what sort of plant you would
get. Blackberries do not come true from seed. You might be lucky,
you might get something like a wild fruit.
For instance, I have a thornless blackberry plant which often seeds
itself around my garden, thanks to the birds! The leaves are like the
parent plant but the seedlings all have thorns.
If you know of someone with a good variety, the best thing to do is to
get them to bury the tip of a long growing shoot in some soil. It
will root, and you can detach it from the parent plant, dig it up and
plant it where you want it, knowing that it will be true to its
parent.

Pam in Bristol
Old 01-11-2006, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Darren" wrote in message
news :
: Hello Folks, first timer here,
:
: A Basic question.
:
: If I were to plant a single blackberry in a pot and care for it inside
: the house, would a blackberry plant start to grow, if so then when it
: is mature enough could it be transported to the garden to continue then
: produce fruit when ready.
:
: I have had a look on the internet but a lot of the info seems to be
: about purchasing cuttings and ready made canes etc, however I just like
: the idea of growing from scratch and making it my project rather than
: purchasing a ready made plant.
:
: Thank you in advance.
:
: Darren
:
You can certainly bring a blackberry along on it's own but imo it would not
respond well to being in the house and would be better off outside or in a
cold frame/greenhouse

Old 01-11-2006, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Darren" wrote in message
news

Hello Folks, first timer here,

A Basic question.

If I were to plant a single blackberry in a pot and care for it inside
the house, would a blackberry plant start to grow, if so then when it
is mature enough could it be transported to the garden to continue then
produce fruit when ready.

I have had a look on the internet but a lot of the info seems to be
about purchasing cuttings and ready made canes etc, however I just like
the idea of growing from scratch and making it my project rather than
purchasing a ready made plant.

Thank you in advance.

You dont need to buy cuttings. If you have seen a blackberry bush you like
that gives good fruit without too many homicidal tendencies, you should take
cuttings and grow them on. I believe that blackberry seed itself does not
germinate well unless it has been through a gut. You could try collecting
bird droppings that have a purple colour, but you may need a fair few as
even post gut the germination rate isn't brilliant. After you have been to
all this trouble, you may find you have a rampaging spiny monster which only
yeilds a handfull of small hard fruit. I would take cuttings if I were you.

Gill M

Old 01-11-2006, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Actually blackberies should come reasonably true from seed in a lot of cases
but not in others. Blackberry genetics are complicated but many of them are
apomictic which means that the seeds produce clones of the parent plant.
THere are actually hundreds of wild micro species in the UK.

THe thornless balckberies can be a special case what is known as a
periclinal chimera this is where the cells in the tissues that make the
thorns are genetically different to those making the rest of the plant.
This is a stable situation but I believe if you were to take root cuttings
from your thornless plant they may well be thorny. The tissues that make
the seeds are not part of the thornless part of the plant therefore they do
not carry the necessary genes.

As for growing them they are like a lot of berries designed to go through a
digestive tract. You could try stratifying them . Planting them and putting
the pot ouit doors over winter or sticking it in the fridge for a few
months.

Neil Jones
http://www.butterflyguy.com/
Old 01-11-2006, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message
"Darren" wrote in message

If I were to plant a single blackberry in a pot and care for it

inside
the house, would a blackberry plant start to grow, if so then when

it
is mature enough could it be transported to the garden to continue

then
produce fruit when ready.

Intrigued I went a googling....

Seems to be quite a few sites that mention them growing from seed.

Several
sites even has it down as an invasive weed in the wild :~)

I can attest to that. They are a major weed spread by seed in
Australia (or where the tips of old plants touch the gound) so they
grow into massive thickets bigger than many houses.

They are not like the thornless cultivated ones. All have absolutely
vicious thorns but are much better flavour than the cultivated ones -
if it's moist year

Old 01-11-2006, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote
snip
For instance, I have a thornless blackberry plant which often seeds
itself around my garden, thanks to the birds! The leaves are like the
parent plant but the seedlings all have thorns. snip

What's the fruit like from the thornless ones Pam? Anywhere as good as
wild ones? I've been thinking of putting one either on my back fence or
through the hawthorn hedge. We get seedling brambles popping up but I've
been weeding those out on the grounds that I've already got enough
thorny canes to contend with from sweetbriar and dog roses.

--
Sue

Old 01-11-2006, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Wild blackberries round here are an invasive weed but have size and
flavour to die (or at least get scratched and jabbed) for.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Neil Jones" wrote
pruned
As for growing them they are like a lot of berries designed to go through
digestive tract. You could try stratifying them . Planting them and
putting
the pot ouit doors over winter or sticking it in the fridge for a few
months.
Neil Jones

Would the human digestive tract work the same as a birds..........?
Jenny

Old 01-11-2006, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Neil Jones" wrote
pruned
As for growing them they are like a lot of berries designed to go through
digestive tract. You could try stratifying them . Planting them and
putting
the pot ouit doors over winter or sticking it in the fridge for a few
months.
Neil Jones

Would the human digestive tract work the same as a birds..........?

If it did, how would you recover the seed to plant?

Or would you deposit the excrement straight on the ground?

Alan

Jenny

Old 01-11-2006, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Pam Moore" wrote
snip
For instance, I have a thornless blackberry plant which often seeds
itself around my garden, thanks to the birds! The leaves are like the
parent plant but the seedlings all have thorns. snip

What's the fruit like from the thornless ones Pam? Anywhere as good as
wild ones? I've been thinking of putting one either on my back fence or
through the hawthorn hedge. We get seedling brambles popping up but I've
been weeding those out on the grounds that I've already got enough
thorny canes to contend with from sweetbriar and dog roses.

I've just planted two thornless ones, I have yet to taste the fruit!

Alan

--
Sue

Old 02-11-2006, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Note:

Here in Yorkshire (and also in Scotland when I lived in Aberdeenshire) they
are called Brambles (both the plant and the fruit).

Old 02-11-2006, 08:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

An RHS study some years ago recommended Ashton Cross as the best flavoured
variety.

Old 02-11-2006, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 16:31:35 +0100, "JennyC"
wrote:

Would the human digestive tract work the same as a birds..........?
Jenny

Are you volunteering to do a trial? LOL

Pam in Bristol

blackberries ian United Kingdom 7 17-04-2003 01:44 AM
blackberries ian Texas 1 16-04-2003 09:56 PM
blackberries ian United Kingdom 0 16-04-2003 12:20 PM
Fertalizing blackberries? Rick Samuel Texas 0 10-04-2003 03:20 PM
blackberries Jessica Lawns 6 10-03-2003 11:22 PM