Old 07-01-2007, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New Greenhouse!

Hi
New greenhouse arrives tomorrow for the allotment - so all we need now
is fine weather for next weekend (yep right - sigh) As is usual with
these things we have a range of advice about the glazing - to silicone
it in or not? The glass is horticultural and not toughened.
Any thoughts gratefully received
LW

Old 07-01-2007, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Little Weed" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi
New greenhouse arrives tomorrow for the allotment - so all we need now
is fine weather for next weekend (yep right - sigh) As is usual with
these things we have a range of advice about the glazing - to silicone
it in or not? The glass is horticultural and not toughened.
Any thoughts gratefully received
LW

Ours has been up for about 10 years.

Silicone? Yes
Hort Glass? Yes
Screwed down to a firm brick base? Yes
Sheltered from severe winds? Yes
Apex North/South? Yes
Insulated with Bubble wrap? Yes
Electricity? No
Heated? No

Hope that helps :-))

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 07-01-2007, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Little Weed wrote:
Hi
New greenhouse arrives tomorrow for the allotment - so all we need now
is fine weather for next weekend (yep right - sigh) As is usual with
these things we have a range of advice about the glazing - to silicone
it in or not? The glass is horticultural and not toughened.
Any thoughts gratefully received
LW

Hi Little Weed.

I put in a new greenhouse towards the end of last year, took a long
time to do ( by myself) but was worth it in the end, I choose
horticultural glass- I like to look of it and dont fancy the idea of
the plastic turning a nasty colour which apparently can happen. I
already have had a pane of glass smash but was able to repair it with
some glass glue for now. ( I think a bird hit it in the high winds
over the winter). I have attached it to a concrete flooring which took
a long time to drill but was really worth the effort securing it down
as the high winds have tested it and was fine. I have not siliconed in
the glass, I dont think there is any need as the panes slot in like a
slate roof, the rainn does not come in and there is no draught. Just
my opinion!.. good luck with putting up the greenhouse- I found it a
bit like the Krypton Factor but I am so pleased with it - was well
worth it in the end.
Regards

Barbara from

www.all-about-tomatoes.com

Old 07-01-2007, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

Do you still use the spring clips if you use silicon?

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.

Yes. Didn't feel that I wanted to just trust the Silicon.

My only fear then, and still is I suppose, is how to get the glass out!

Will
the Silicon stick like the proverbial, but, if I need to get the glass out
it will be because it is broken and a putty knife or paint scraper will

ease
the glass up off the Silicon. If you see what I mean :-))

But as the children have long since left home ;-) there have been no

broken
panes!

pity, nothing like a cricket ball through a pane of glass to happy ones
father up. Especially when playing cricket on the front lawn with him and
being told not to hit the ball in the air. A nice lofted shot to leg found
the lounge window boundary for 6. Another good way is, with a mate, to ride
your bikes across the vege garden dad had spent 1/2 the previous day digging
over. That also helps to break window panes in the back door when dad
arrives home from work (SLAM, smash).

rob

Old 08-01-2007, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

[...]

http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Old 08-01-2007, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi,

I agree with Barbara, but I reckon whether you need to seal it or not will
depend on the quality of the greenhouse. We have one where the glass is held
in and 'sealed' with rubber strips over the joints. There are no draughts in
the corners either although they do supply a small tube of silcon for the
corners - which I have not bothered to use.

The Krypton Factor is a good analogy... well it was a challenge for me too.

You won't regret it.

Best wishes,

Keith

"Red Tomato" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old 08-01-2007, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Keith (Dorset) wrote:
Hi,

I agree with Barbara, but I reckon whether you need to seal it or not will
depend on the quality of the greenhouse. We have one where the glass is held
in and 'sealed' with rubber strips over the joints. There are no draughts in
the corners either although they do supply a small tube of silcon for the
corners - which I have not bothered to use.

The Krypton Factor is a good analogy... well it was a challenge for me too.

You won't regret it.

Best wishes,

Keith

Well thanks everyone for those ideas!
The greenhouse has arrived - complete with a crate of glass which will
need to be transported across the road to the allotment by the sheet!
We're looking forward to finding the instructions at the weekend, as
we go to work - and return - in the dark, and there is an awful lot of
packaging!
Wish us luck for the Krypton factor Mk III on Saturday come rain or
shine
LW

Old 09-01-2007, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Keith (Dorset) wrote:
[...]

Frames are no problem but please do not try putting the glass in, in high
wind. Until its all in the greenhouse is not very strong plus you are likely
to break bits.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie is absolutley right.

Erecting a greenhouse is not a job to be undertaken lightly, at any time.

It took me several days to do ours (10x8).

It could be EXTREMELY dangerous with this wind and it goes without saying,
don't leave it partly glazed / with the door or vents off, for any length of
time.

Do take care,

Keith

Old 10-01-2007, 04:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Well thanks everyone for those ideas!
The greenhouse has arrived - complete with a crate of glass which will
need to be transported across the road to the allotment by the sheet!
We're looking forward to finding the instructions at the weekend, as
we go to work - and return - in the dark, and there is an awful lot of
packaging!
Wish us luck for the Krypton factor Mk III on Saturday come rain or
shine
LW

Frames are no problem but please do not try putting the glass in, in

high
wind. Until its all in the greenhouse is not very strong plus you are
likely
to break bits.

I spent 1/2 the afternoon putting up the frame of a polytunnel I scored free
from a mate. Much simplier than a greenhouse but 2 pieces of advice I would
give:

1. before getting free polytunnel from mate check it for rot and make him
replace any rotten wood (lousy hua gave me a free poly tunnel with rotten
wood).

2. check where wife actually wants it/will let you put it. Try to avoid
"placing it too close to the clothes line" else you will have to spend
tomorrow sawing pieces off it to make it fit the space you are 'given'.

rob

Old 10-01-2007, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Any thoughts gratefully received

I moved a greenhouse from an allotment where it had been
vandalized to a concrete pad next to my house.
This involved dismantling it and re-erecting it - without
the original instructions.

Don't attempt glasswork if it is windy. Handle the glass
with gloves if possible - its often a bit splintery round the
edges.

Get the site level and flat before you do anything else. Your
greenhouse probably has a bottom frame that bolts to the ground
before you build anything else. After bolting make sure its
level by shimming or something. Build the frame then
make sure its square, true etc before putting the glass in.

I didn't do this myself and my greenhouse has a slight assymetry
in that the gutters are about 2 degrees out from the horizontal.
In one the water flows towards where I want it, and in the other
it doesn't. Short of taking all the glass out and starting again
I will have to put up with it.

Do not attempt to cut glass to size. If you need a particular
triangular shape or a smaller rectangular piece, make a paper
template, take it to a glass merchant and it will be cut to size
at no extra cost. Horticultural glass is unimaginably cheap anyway.
Trying to cut it yourself rarely produces pieces the wanted shape,
takes time and effort and is slightly dangerous
Old 11-01-2007, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

2. check where wife actually wants it/will let you put it. Try to avoid
"placing it too close to the clothes line" else you will have to spend
tomorrow sawing pieces off it to make it fit the space you are 'given'.

rob

I'll make sure he puts the greenhouse exactly where i want it - my
allotment - my husband is just the hired hand Clothes line? buy
yourself a tumble dryer - creates far more space in the garden!

Thanks again to everyone for their helpful insights - we probably will
have to leave it this weekend as there are gales forecast again and my
friend's greenhouse has today been blown sideways on the same
allotment!

Cheers
LW

Old 11-01-2007, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

George.com wrote:
[...]
I spent 1/2 the afternoon putting up the frame of a polytunnel I scored free
from a mate. Much simplier than a greenhouse but 2 pieces of advice I would
give:

1. before getting free polytunnel from mate check it for rot and make him
replace any rotten wood (lousy hua gave me a free poly tunnel with rotten
wood).

I'm impressed at your chutzpah. You are, I confidently assume, the CEO
of a particularly successful multinational chemical company. But as
such you will have access to unlimited quantities of polythene water
pipe for long-lasting framing. And replacement polythene skin: if the
wood's gone, what must the skin be like?

2. check where wife actually wants it/will let you put it. Try to avoid
"placing it too close to the clothes line" else you will have to spend
tomorrow sawing pieces off it to make it fit the space you are 'given'.

Go rotary: Argos and many others will be delighted to oblige. Do not
sink it into the ground: set the socket into a motor-tyre filled with
stones and concrete, so you can move it about.

--
Mike.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Little Weed" wrote in message
I'll make sure he puts the greenhouse exactly where i want it - my
allotment - my husband is just the hired hand Clothes line? buy
yourself a tumble dryer - creates far more space in the garden!

But contributes to global warming! What's wrong with using the
greenhouse as a solar drywer?

HELP PLEASE - What Grape Vine For New Greenhouse Jon[_9_] United Kingdom 16 08-04-2009 09:52 AM
New greenhouse..... r.p.mcmurphy United Kingdom 5 23-02-2005 11:41 AM
Greenhouse - new or 2nd hand? Mark Allison United Kingdom 8 27-04-2003 09:56 PM
a new greenhouse AB United Kingdom 2 25-04-2003 07:08 AM
new little greenhouse, enough light? daniel bach Orchids 3 23-03-2003 05:56 PM