Old 27-01-2007, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Other uses for olive oil

But you know, I came away from the Camden Market that day feeling about
ten inches taller and twenty years younger!

Right, give us the address!Anaru is back in New Zealand, (he may be coming back this summer)

but there is a woman in London who also trained with Papa Joe (the
famous Maori healer, who died last year) for seven years...

I could dig out her e-mail address, if you want?

--
AnneJ

Yes Please

JudithL

Old 27-01-2007, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 27, 5:05 pm, Anne Jackson wrote:
Yes PleaseInfo e-mailed to the address up there ^, Judith.

--
AnneJ

Thank you Anne that's really kind of you.

JudithL

Old 27-01-2007, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com,
" writes

On Jan 27, 12:38 am, Anne Jackson wrote:
eI remember my grandma using almond oil, but that may have been
her 'cure' for earache? (It *was* a long time ago...)

--
AnneJ

Our Grannies knew a thing or two about cures when there was nothing
else available. Almond oil is a great carrier for other oils that are
too strong to use by themselves i.e. lavender oil.

Unless you are allergic to lavender oil, it can be used on your skin by
itself. It is wise always to do a patch test though, before using it
for the first time. Other essential oils can be harmful unless you know
what you are doing.

--
June Hughes
Old 27-01-2007, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
Isn't it normal to isolate patients with MRSA? It didn't appear to be in one
hospital where my daughter has worked, they didn't even inform all the staff
that worked in the wards where there were patients with MRSA.

A friend of mine had 50% burns almost three years ago and had MRSA for
ages. She was told by the hospital staff that it can be water-borne.
Many people apparently carry it without knowing about it.
--
June Hughes
Old 27-01-2007, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 14:45:55 GMT, Anne Jackson wrote:

The message from "
contains these words:
On Jan 27, 12:28 am, Anne Jackson wrote:

But you know, I came away from the Camden Market that day feeling about
ten inches taller and twenty years younger!

Right, give us the address!

Anaru is back in New Zealand, (he may be coming back this summer)
but there is a woman in London who also trained with Papa Joe (the
famous Maori healer, who died last year) for seven years...

I could dig out her e-mail address, if you want?

Can't she dig up Papa Joe and heal him?

That was naughty (but funny).
--
June Hughes

Old 27-01-2007, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha schreef:

On 26/1/07 10:53, in article , "Emery
Davis" wrote:

snip
http://www.coop-du-nyonsais.fr/boutique/autres.php

Many thanks for that. You can't imagine how timely it is just now.

http://www.traditionellaprodukter.se...thscentuki.htm

that's closer by, I think. Marvellous packaging too :-)

interfering from the Netherlands, Annet

Old 27-01-2007, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from Martin contains these words:

When I was down in London last July I happened upon two Maoris in
Camden Market, who were doing massages. I waited almost the entire
day, until they could fit me in. They were using olive oil as a
massage oil, and after the hour-long massage my skin positively
glowed for weeks....I still haven't managed to get it out of the
clothes I was wearing that day, though!

Perhaps next time you will not bother with the clothes, save all that
washing!

In your dreams? :-)

More like 'the stuff of nightmares'... G

I'll keep my eyes closed then!

Alan

Old 27-01-2007, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

" writes

On Jan 27, 12:38 am, Anne Jackson wrote:
eI remember my grandma using almond oil, but that may have been
her 'cure' for earache? (It *was* a long time ago...)

--
AnneJ

Our Grannies knew a thing or two about cures when there was nothing
else available. Almond oil is a great carrier for other oils that are
too strong to use by themselves i.e. lavender oil.

I can remember a very small onion, like a cocktail onion, being boiled
and the very small kernel in the centre being put into my ear for
earache - I have never heard that from anyone else so I don't know if
that was just Granny's solution or if others used it.

I've heard that one - I think it's the warmth as much as anything.

Re Lavender Oil for nits (which someone else mentioned) - is it that
lavender is uniquely effective on head lice? Or is it that any oil would
kill them (rather like you are reputed to be able kill ticks with
cooking oil - it blocks their breathing holes). Or do you have to come
the lice and nits out, but the oil acts in the same way as conditioner
by making it less easy for the lice to cling on?
--
Kay
Old 27-01-2007, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 20:45:26 +0000
K wrote:

Re Lavender Oil for nits (which someone else mentioned) - is it that
lavender is uniquely effective on head lice? Or is it that any oil would
kill them (rather like you are reputed to be able kill ticks with
cooking oil - it blocks their breathing holes). Or do you have to come
the lice and nits out, but the oil acts in the same way as conditioner
by making it less easy for the lice to cling on?

Hi K,

I understand they don't like the smell of it. It does nothing to kill them
once the infestation has started.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 27-01-2007, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

Sacha wrote:
Thinking of the Frances Mayes books, as I was a while ago, I remember her
writing that her husband took a pudding spoon of olive oil every morning,
presumably for the benefit of his internal clockwork. And I think it was
she who wrote that Italian women used to use it as skin nourishment. Has
anyone here any experience of either? I rather like the idea of a much
cheaper version of Clarins in my kitchen cupboard!

When our daughter was tiny and nearly bald an Italian neighbour
advised us to shave her head and rub olive oil into her scalp, and in
no time at all she would have a lovely head of glossy black hair.
Needless to say her hair remained wispy and blonde ;~)

It had worked for all of the Sicilians on the nursery where I worked
at the time - no idea why :~(
Oh, except for the one with red hair.

Old 27-01-2007, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 27, 8:45 pm, K wrote:
Re Lavender Oil for nits (which someone else mentioned) - is it that
lavender is uniquely effective on head lice? Or is it that any oil would
kill them (rather like you are reputed to be able kill ticks with
cooking oil - it blocks their breathing holes). Or do you have to come
the lice and nits out, but the oil acts in the same way as conditioner
by making it less easy for the lice to cling on?
--
Kay-

I don't know Kay, but a colleague's daughter became resistant to nit
preparations and she had to resort to an electrical thing.

Judith just off to scratch head

Old 27-01-2007, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 27, 9:21 pm, Anne Jackson wrote:
I use tea tree shampoo
for just this purpose (having 14 g'children has distinct disadvantages!)
but it can be a bit harsh, so I use it perhaps a couple of times a month
or in a mix with a milder shampoo...it varies.

--

You lucky, lucky woman, green with envy, again

Judith

Old 27-01-2007, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Emery Davis writes
K wrote:

Re Lavender Oil for nits (which someone else mentioned) - is it that
lavender is uniquely effective on head lice? Or is it that any oil would
kill them (rather like you are reputed to be able kill ticks with
cooking oil - it blocks their breathing holes). Or do you have to come
the lice and nits out, but the oil acts in the same way as conditioner
by making it less easy for the lice to cling on?

I understand they don't like the smell of it. It does nothing to kill them
once the infestation has started.

Ah. Like the original reason for lavender in the linen cupboard was to
deter clothes moth and nothing to do with having sweetly scented
pillows.
--
Kay
Old 27-01-2007, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Rod writes

Sacha wrote:
Thinking of the Frances Mayes books, as I was a while ago, I remember her
writing that her husband took a pudding spoon of olive oil every morning,
presumably for the benefit of his internal clockwork. And I think it was
she who wrote that Italian women used to use it as skin nourishment. Has
anyone here any experience of either? I rather like the idea of a much
cheaper version of Clarins in my kitchen cupboard!

When our daughter was tiny and nearly bald an Italian neighbour
advised us to shave her head and rub olive oil into her scalp, and in
no time at all she would have a lovely head of glossy black hair.
Needless to say her hair remained wispy and blonde ;~)

It had worked for all of the Sicilians on the nursery where I worked
at the time - no idea why :~(
Oh, except for the one with red hair.

When I was young, my uncle used to tell me that if I ate up my bread
crusts my hair would go curly.

For me, this was just one more good reason not to eat crusts.
--
Kay
Old 27-01-2007, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/1/07 20:34, in article , "Anne
Jackson" wrote:

The message from June Hughes contains
these words:
wrote:

The message from "
contains these words:
On Jan 27, 12:28 am, Anne Jackson wrote:

But you know, I came away from the Camden Market that day
feeling about
ten inches taller and twenty years younger!

Right, give us the address!

Anaru is back in New Zealand, (he may be coming back this summer)
but there is a woman in London who also trained with Papa Joe (the
famous Maori healer, who died last year) for seven years...

I could dig out her e-mail address, if you want?

Can't she dig up Papa Joe and heal him?

That was naughty (but funny).

I had a wry smile...I did wonder, when Papa Joe died, why a famous healer
should succumb so young (he was only 59), but cancer doesn't discriminate,
does it? 8-(

No, it doesn't. But people who are into this sort of thing will also talk
about reincarnation, the development of the soul within those terms etc. and
perhaps, say that this was his time this time. I'm not at all sure that
anything can be called 'over', including a life.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk