Old 26-01-2007, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Other uses for olive oil

In message , The Reid
writes
On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 15:25:33 +0000, June Hughes
wrote:

say no more! Wink wink nudge nudge.

Not at all. I think Anne will agree with me.

of course not! Of course not! But, eh, eh?

Not a go-er?
--
June Hughes
Old 26-01-2007, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 26, 10:16 am, Sacha wrote:
On 25/1/07 20:28, in article
m,

..Thank you, Edward! I shall start taking some every day, too, or at
least
dunk some bread in a good splodge of it. I can't say I understand the
chemistry but those southern Med people must have been doing something right
and you clearly know all about it. What I don't understand is these new and
apparently sudden, claims that eggs contain Omega 3. All eggs, or only from
hens fed a special diet? I read Judith's 'reference' for you and felt a
strong and instantaneous twinge of guilt as I recalled the bacon sandwich I
had for breakfast!
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Ordinary eggs contain little or no w3 but there are 2 makes, of which
one is called 'Columbus eggs' (from hens fed on a special grain diet
devised by a Belgium group) which contain relatively large amounts of
w3 oils. They are produced in UK and are widely available.

That was Edward speaking and not me

JudithL

Old 26-01-2007, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 26, 12:15 pm, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 11:56:08 +0000, Sacha

!Scabies are worse. Caught by my daughter at a Brownie camp.
--

Martin- Hide

Our elder daughter works for the NHS and she has caught scabies,
ringworm, nits and chicken pox from a patient. Fiona has a rule that
she will always change her clothes and shower when she returns home and
she will not put her "dirty" clothes in the same laundry bag as as the
family.

JudithL

Old 26-01-2007, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 26, 10:58 am, Sacha wrote:
.. A
friend of ours, who lives in France, came to stay bringing me three bars of
the olive oil soap that she knows I love. I'm halfway through the last one!
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

As I owe you a favour for a shrub, I have 2 x Savon de Marseille of 300
grammes each, which is 72% huile d'olive, I will send them to you on
Monday.

JudithL at home

p.s. I am off to France on 7th February for a few days, does anyone
want me to bring any back? If so email me and if you live locally,
i.e. Norfolk, I will deliver it free.

Old 26-01-2007, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jan 26, 10:58 am, Sacha wrote:
. A
friend of ours, who lives in France, came to stay bringing me three

bars of
the olive oil soap that she knows I love. I'm halfway through the

last one!
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

As I owe you a favour for a shrub, I have 2 x Savon de Marseille of

300
grammes each, which is 72% huile d'olive, I will send them to you on
Monday.

JudithL at home

p.s. I am off to France on 7th February for a few days, does anyone
want me to bring any back? If so email me and if you live locally,
i.e. Norfolk, I will deliver it free.

I see it's available from
http://www.moosie.co.uk/soaps/savdemars.asp

Damned expensive way to wash one's face, if you ask me, but you didn't.
While doing the brief Ggl, I was shocked but not surprised (if that's
not an oxymoron) to see that the Body Shop sells something it calls
"olive soap" which is actually just ordinary palm oil soap with a trace
of olive oil: another reason, apart from the nauseating smell, to avoid
the Body Shop.

--
Mike.

Old 26-01-2007, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 18:38:27 -0000
"Mike Lyle" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jan 26, 10:58 am, Sacha wrote:
[...]

The Nyons soap has a very high percentage of olive oil, can't remember what
it is at the mo. Not meaning to cast aspersions on Judith's very nice offer, but
the products are not the same! In any case, the savon de Marseille will certainly
keep you going for a while.

cheers,

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 26-01-2007, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/1/07 17:55, in article , "Anne
Jackson" wrote:

The message from Sacha contains these
words:

Sacha, olive oil soap is very nice for the skin, also. Here is one
we've used
for many years:

http://www.coop-du-nyonsais.fr/boutique/autres.php

Many thanks for that. You can't imagine how timely it is just now. A
friend of ours, who lives in France, came to stay bringing me three bars of
the olive oil soap that she knows I love. I'm halfway through the last one!

Sacha, Arran Aromatics do an 'Olive Oil' soap, and it's very good.
It might be easier to source...

http://www.arranaromatics.com/listra...e=APOTH&rangeS
ubID=6

Many thanks, Anne. A LOT easier, I should think. It might be interesting
to get both and compare, though. What a dangerous life I lead! ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

Old 26-01-2007, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/1/07 18:38, in article ,
"Mike Lyle" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jan 26, 10:58 am, Sacha wrote:
[...]

Not just the face! But no, I wouldn't want to buy the sort of thing you
describe - it just isn't the Real Thing.

Old 27-01-2007, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 27, 12:38 am, Anne Jackson wrote:
eI remember my grandma using almond oil, but that may have been
her 'cure' for earache? (It *was* a long time ago...)

--
AnneJ

Our Grannies knew a thing or two about cures when there was nothing
else available. Almond oil is a great carrier for other oils that are
too strong to use by themselves i.e. lavender oil.

I can remember a very small onion, like a cocktail onion, being boiled
and the very small kernel in the centre being put into my ear for
earache - I have never heard that from anyone else so I don't know if
that was just Granny's solution or if others used it.

JudithL

Old 27-01-2007, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 26, 10:30 pm, Martin wrote:
On 26 Jan 2007 09:38:26 -0800, "

..My only daughter also works for the NHS, but not long enough to have
caught as
many things as your eldest daughter. It's a pity the rest of the NHS isn't as
hygienic as your daughter. In an ideal world they would all be showering and
leaving their working clothes at work.
I never came home wearing my clean room clothes.
--

Martin

When I first entered the Health Service ***** years ago, I worked in
Haematology and worked with patients with blood diseases. I would
spend part of my day putting patients onto a cell separator which
involved cannulating them so that their blood circulated through this
machine. In those days, when I left the ward, I took off my white
coat and put it into the laundry bag and then went to put on my
outside clothes before leaving the hospital. Nowadays, you see
youngsters getting into their cars in white coats! When I took a lunch
break, I would always take off my white coat before entering the
canteen and so did all my colleagues, it was common sense.

JudithL

Old 27-01-2007, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 27, 12:28 am, Anne Jackson wrote:

But you know, I came away from the Camden Market that day feeling about
ten inches taller and twenty years younger!

--
AnneJ

Right, give us the address!

JudithL

Old 27-01-2007, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

..Isn't it normal to isolate patients with MRSA? It didn't appear to be
in one
hospital where my daughter has worked, they didn't even inform all the staff
that worked in the wards where there were patients with MRSA.
--

Martin-

I'm afraid that I know nothing about ward work now as my work is
totally related to postgraduate education.

I can remember my late Father telling me about his little brother who
was operated on at home by a surgeon in the 1930's and that the
surgeon told Granny at the time that he was safer at home than in the
clinic.

JudithL