Old 24-02-2007, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Brussels Sprouts

Hullo. I'm surprised because I'm about to sow some sprouts (for the
first time ... don't know why it took me that long) and I'm advised to
plant them out later on in part shade. Now, is this true? I've always
seen sprouts growing in full sunny open ground. Any further tips would
be really welcome. Ta.

Old 24-02-2007, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote ..
Hullo. I'm surprised because I'm about to sow some sprouts (for the
first time ... don't know why it took me that long) and I'm advised to
plant them out later on in part shade. Now, is this true? I've always
seen sprouts growing in full sunny open ground. Any further tips would
be really welcome. Ta.

Well in the UK they are grown in an open situation with plenty of room
between them, don't crowd them, it will slow then right down.
Bit early for planting seed isn't it?
--
Regards
Bob H

Old 24-02-2007, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24 Feb, 22:16, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"La Puce" wrote .. Hullo. I'm surprised because I'm about to sow some sprouts (for the
Well in the UK they are grown in an open situation with plenty of room
between them, don't crowd them, it will slow then right down.
Bit early for planting seed isn't it?

Thank Bob, that was quick - I've got the perfect spot then But you
think it's too early? You're kidding - I'm hitching to start here!!
I'm ready! I've got a closed veranda, cool and light, so it's perfect
to start in trays. Not for sprouts? I've sowned artichokes too in
pots. And in a couple of weeks I'll start all my flowers.

Old 25-02-2007, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

ps.com...
:
: Thank Bob, that was quick - I've got the perfect spot then But you
: think it's too early? You're kidding - I'm hitching to start here!!
: I'm ready! I've got a closed veranda, cool and light, so it's perfect
: to start in trays. Not for sprouts? I've sowned artichokes too in
: pots. And in a couple of weeks I'll start all my flowers.

Sprouts need a long growing season, I shall be sowing mine in March and they
definitely perform best in full light. Digressing slightly, I am sowing
cabbages and purple sprouting later than usual these days because they are
ready far too early if I sow them as per what was usual, late March/April

Old 25-02-2007, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25 Feb, 08:47, "Robert \(Plymouth\)" beachcom...@ultimate-
anonymity.com wrote:
Sprouts need a long growing season, I shall be sowing mine in March and they
definitely perform best in full light.

Ta. I like 'pottering' around ;o) Many friends straight sow, but I
like starting a few things in pots.

Digressing slightly, I am sowing
cabbages and purple sprouting later than usual these days because they are
ready far too early if I sow them as per what was usual, late March/April

I don't do cabbages anymore - we're given them for free. But I sow
walking stick cabbages. I'm trying to grow them with a good handle on
them and more to the point straight! I like the massive bush they
have, the little flowers. Very sculptural in the lotty. We've just
about finished making a new head for our scare crow. It's a girl this
year.

Old 25-02-2007, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote after...
"Bob Hobden" replied to her
. I'm surprised because I'm about to sow some sprouts (for the
Well in the UK they are grown in an open situation with plenty of room
between them, don't crowd them, it will slow then right down.
Bit early for planting seed isn't it?

Thank Bob, that was quick - I've got the perfect spot then But you
think it's too early? You're kidding - I'm hitching to start here!!
I'm ready! I've got a closed veranda, cool and light, so it's perfect
to start in trays. Not for sprouts? I've sowned artichokes too in
pots. And in a couple of weeks I'll start all my flowers.

Well you aren't in the UK and I don't know how similar your weather pattern
is to where we are but it's too soon for anything like that here, they'd be
too big and leggy before you could plant them out at around Chelsea time.
We won't plant our Sprout seed (Trafalgar & Icarus) until the end of April
planting them out in their final spot at the beginning of June.
Do make sure you don't crowd them even with other plants, they need space
and a good strong individual stake if you are in a windy spot.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 25-02-2007, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25 Feb, 12:16, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
Well you aren't in the UK and I don't know how similar your weather pattern
is to where we are but it's too soon for anything like that here, they'd be
too big and leggy before you could plant them out at around Chelsea time.
We won't plant our Sprout seed (Trafalgar & Icarus) until the end of April
planting them out in their final spot at the beginning of June.
Do make sure you don't crowd them even with other plants, they need space
and a good strong individual stake if you are in a windy spot.

Bob, I'm French but been living in Manchester for 25 years! I've got
Peer Gynt sprouts. If you think it's too early then I won't do them
now. I'll wait. I don't want to waiste my first crop.

Just returned from our potato day and met with Alan Romans, the potato
man. We had a long chat about Monsieur Parmentier )) He reckons that
it's far too early to do potatoes now, even in the south of england.
It's far too wet. I got Cara in the end and a treat for my pond, some
iris and a gorgeous Cyperus. It's freezing up here today but
contemplating a few hours down the lotty. I'll warm up fast there.
Thanks for your advice.

Old 25-02-2007, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25 Feb, 11:44, "JennyC" wrote:
Pictures ???

Off course me Jenny. Jonah sends his hello too ;o)

http://cjoint.com/?czoaE4JGYP

Old 25-02-2007, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 25 Feb, 11:44, "JennyC" wrote:
Pictures ???

Off course me Jenny. Jonah sends his hello too ;o)

http://cjoint.com/?czoaE4JGYP

!*!*! Who was the model ?!*?!*
Jenny :~~)

Old 25-02-2007, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25 Feb, 13:30, "JennyC" wrote:
!*!*! Who was the model ?!*?!*

Jonah.

Old 28-02-2007, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message .com
from "La Puce" contains these words:

On 25 Feb, 12:16, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
Well you aren't in the UK and I don't know how similar your weather
pattern
is to where we are but it's too soon for anything like that here,
they'd be
too big and leggy before you could plant them out at around Chelsea time.
We won't plant our Sprout seed (Trafalgar & Icarus) until the end of April
planting them out in their final spot at the beginning of June.
Do make sure you don't crowd them even with other plants, they need space
and a good strong individual stake if you are in a windy spot.

Bob, I'm French but been living in Manchester for 25 years! I've got
Peer Gynt sprouts. If you think it's too early then I won't do them
now. I'll wait. I don't want to waiste my first crop.

I start Peer Gynt or any other early sprout in about the second week of
March and late sprouts in early April. I'm in South Lincs; in Manchester
you might need to go a week or so later.

Janet G
Old 01-03-2007, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 Feb, 17:45, Janet Galpin wrote:
I start Peer Gynt or any other early sprout in about the second week of
March and late sprouts in early April. I'm in South Lincs; in Manchester
you might need to go a week or so later.

I had indeed thought to do this around the new moon (19th March). I
didn't know there was 'late sprouts' too. Thanks Janet.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message .com
from "La Puce" contains these words:

On 28 Feb, 17:45, Janet Galpin wrote:
I start Peer Gynt or any other early sprout in about the second week of
March and late sprouts in early April. I'm in South Lincs; in Manchester
you might need to go a week or so later.

I had indeed thought to do this around the new moon (19th March). I
didn't know there was 'late sprouts' too. Thanks Janet.

Yes, Peer Gynt is particularly early and can be ready from about
September onwards. In seed catalogues it usually tells you when a
specific variety will be ready. By growing about three varieties you can
have brussel sprouts from at least September to March. Some I've tried
are Peer Gynt and Oliver - ready August/Sept to November; Diablo - ready
Oct - January; Wellington and Braveheart - ready January - March. Times
are only approximate; they will overlap and depend upon planting times
etc. but should give some idea.
Janet G
Old 02-03-2007, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Mar, 22:49, Janet Galpin wrote:
Yes, Peer Gynt is particularly early and can be ready from about
September onwards. In seed catalogues it usually tells you when a
specific variety will be ready. By growing about three varieties you can
have brussel sprouts from at least September to March. Some I've tried
are Peer Gynt and Oliver - ready August/Sept to November; Diablo - ready
Oct - January; Wellington and Braveheart - ready January - March. Times
are only approximate; they will overlap and depend upon planting times
etc. but should give some idea.

Great! I'll have a go at Peer Gynt and then next year will increase in
variety. Not sure we want to eat so much sprouts till March though g
Thanks again.