Old 23-03-2007, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim Tim is offline

Default Ants!

I have ants appearing from beneath my skirting board in the kitchen. There
is the odd 2 or 3 accompanied by some bits of earth that they have dug up,
so can anyone suggest anything to stop the buggers from 'massing' ready for
a breakout sometime soon? Figured I could seal along there with silicon
sealer (floor is ceramic tile) but don't really want to do that. Is there
anything I can squirt along there that'll kill em and deter any from
venturing in?
TIA
tim

Old 23-03-2007, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

Tim wrote:
I have ants appearing from beneath my skirting board in the kitchen.
There is the odd 2 or 3 accompanied by some bits of earth that they
have dug up, so can anyone suggest anything to stop the buggers from
'massing' ready for a breakout sometime soon? Figured I could seal
along there with silicon sealer (floor is ceramic tile) but don't
really want to do that. Is there anything I can squirt along there
that'll kill em and deter any from venturing in?

WD40 is excellent for getting rid of ants. I think it messes up their
chemical messaging system (ants comunicate by pheremones or something like
that) but however it works, it works.

Give them a good spraying a couple of times a day and they'll soon be gone.

Tom

Old 23-03-2007, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nippon - they take it back to their queen who dies and they move on!

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

Old 23-03-2007, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Si Si is offline

Same happened to me so i bought an 'Ant Stop! - Baitstation'

got rid of them early last year and not seen one since...

they sell them in most supermarkets but i got mine from tesco i think

http://www.antstop.com/

Old 23-03-2007, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

"Tim" wrote in message

I have ants appearing from beneath my skirting board in the kitchen. There
is the odd 2 or 3 accompanied by some bits of earth that they have dug up,
so can anyone suggest anything to stop the buggers from 'massing' ready
for
a breakout sometime soon? Figured I could seal along there with silicon
sealer (floor is ceramic tile) but don't really want to do that. Is there
anything I can squirt along there that'll kill em and deter any from
venturing in?
TIA
tim

I have always found the liquid Nipon to be good if you put it where
they can find it and take it back to the nest.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 23-03-2007, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I agree with the Antstop. I have a south-facing warm patio outside and I
get truly HUGE ants nests under and around it in the summer - millions of
the little buggers!

I used two of the Antstop bait station thingies, under a rain-proof cover,
at either end of the patio for the last couple of summers and no more ants!
At least, not there.

They work! Try 'em. ..... which reminds me, I need to get some more for
this year before they start up again.

Barb

om...

Old 23-03-2007, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Baal
writes

Nippon - they take it back to their queen who dies and they move on!

I've tried it but never known it to stop the problem.
Is there something I should know, other than what's on the tube?

--
Sue ]
Old 23-03-2007, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/3/07 21:34, in article , "MadCow"
wrote:

In message , Baal
writes

Nippon - they take it back to their queen who dies and they move on!

I've tried it but never known it to stop the problem.
Is there something I should know, other than what's on the tube?

Yes. They've built an immunity to it, or so it seems to me. But in fact,
ants are not a problem. They might give the more squeamish a time or two
but they do no harm. Don't leave out uncovered food, make sure jam and
sugar pots are wiped clean on the exterior and forget about them. Wherever
you have terraces or nice, dry stone cavities, you'll have ants.
If they're really so troublesome you can't live with them, try sprinkling a
broad line of something like Vim or Ajax over the threshold of their
entrance to your house.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 24-03-2007, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 23 Mar, 22:26, Sacha wrote:
On 23/3/07 21:34, in article , "MadCow"

wrote:
In message , Baal
writes

[...]

You will find that most of the ant killers contain Borax, cheep to buy
in it's natural stste, then mix your own.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 24-03-2007, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

On 23/3/07 21:34, in article , "MadCow"
wrote:

In message , Baal
writes

Nippon - they take it back to their queen who dies and they move on!

I've tried it but never known it to stop the problem.
Is there something I should know, other than what's on the tube?

Yes. They've built an immunity to it, or so it seems to me. But in fact,
ants are not a problem. They might give the more squeamish a time or two
but they do no harm.

Well mostly, but ants did once build a nest in one of my (indoor) plant
pots, pushing the incumbent several inches upward in the process!

Made them fairly easy to evict though :-)
--
Carol (in Derbyshire)
"Never trust a man wearing leather shorts and a plastic dressing gown"

Old 24-03-2007, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/3/07 20:22, in article , "Carol
Hague" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

On 23/3/07 21:34, in article , "MadCow"
wrote:

In message , Baal
writes

Nippon - they take it back to their queen who dies and they move on!

I've tried it but never known it to stop the problem.
Is there something I should know, other than what's on the tube?

Yes. They've built an immunity to it, or so it seems to me. But in fact,
ants are not a problem. They might give the more squeamish a time or two
but they do no harm.

Well mostly, but ants did once build a nest in one of my (indoor) plant
pots, pushing the incumbent several inches upward in the process!

Made them fairly easy to evict though :-)

I think I'd have had to build a glass wall around that and observed it! I
have never heard of them doing that but was it in UK?

Old 25-03-2007, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hague" wrote:

Well mostly, but ants did once build a nest in one of my (indoor) plant
pots, pushing the incumbent several inches upward in the process!

Made them fairly easy to evict though :-)

I think I'd have had to build a glass wall around that and observed it! I
have never heard of them doing that but was it in UK?

Yes - Wells in Somerset. Would have been around 1994/5.

We were living in a rented house that was quite cold and damp (it had no
heating system of its own, we had to buy electric radiators), so they
probably thought they were still outdoors :-)

Can't remember what plant was in the pot, but it was probably a cactus
or succulent as I had quite a few of those at the time.

That would figure because it would mean the compost was dry.

Still have a few
but had to get rid of lots of our houseplants a couple of moves ago when
most of our stuff was in storage for months :-(

I tend to just kill them - I suppose it saves space..... ;-(
I have two tiny Easter cacti (maybe Christmas ones, I don't know!) in a pot
on a window sill and have watered them which is, I think, probably the worst
thing I could have done. The poor things keep trying to flower and whatever
I'm doing makes the flowers wither and drop off!

Old 25-03-2007, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hague" wrote:

Well mostly, but ants did once build a nest in one of my (indoor) plant
pots, pushing the incumbent several inches upward in the process!

Made them fairly easy to evict though :-)

I think I'd have had to build a glass wall around that and observed it! I
have never heard of them doing that but was it in UK?

Yes - Wells in Somerset. Would have been around 1994/5.

We were living in a rented house that was quite cold and damp (it had no
heating system of its own, we had to buy electric radiators), so they
probably thought they were still outdoors :-)

Can't remember what plant was in the pot, but it was probably a cactus
or succulent as I had quite a few of those at the time. Still have a few

Old 25-03-2007, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hague" wrote:

Can't remember what plant was in the pot, but it was probably a cactus
or succulent as I had quite a few of those at the time.

That would figure because it would mean the compost was dry.

Probably. I'm quite bad at remembering to water stuff, hence the cacti
and succulents who stand up to such treatment far better than other
plants :-)

Still have a few
but had to get rid of lots of our houseplants a couple of moves ago when
most of our stuff was in storage for months :-(

I tend to just kill them - I suppose it saves space..... ;-(
I have two tiny Easter cacti (maybe Christmas ones, I don't know!) in a pot
on a window sill and have watered them which is, I think, probably the worst
thing I could have done. The poor things keep trying to flower and whatever
I'm doing makes the flowers wither and drop off!

I remember reading somewhere that cacti should be left to dry out
between October and March and watered like any other plant the rest of
the time (which in my case means roughly whenever I remember...).

But some dim corner of my brain is trying to tell me that
Christmas/Easter cacti are different in some way googles

This page :- http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/christmas_cactus.html

says they don't like drafts, either hot or cold air and are less
tolerant of drying out than other cacti but don't like being constantly
damp. Fussy little things :-)

--
Carol

Old 25-03-2007, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/3/07 11:45, in article , "Carol
Hague" wrote:
snip
But some dim corner of my brain is trying to tell me that
Christmas/Easter cacti are different in some way googles

This page :- http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/christmas_cactus.html

says they don't like drafts, either hot or cold air and are less
tolerant of drying out than other cacti but don't like being constantly
damp. Fussy little things :-)

To the prop. house with them, then! They'll either sink or swim in there.
Many thanks for all that.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/
(remove weeds from address)

ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG Paul O. Gardening 9 11-08-2008 08:13 PM
ants v Amdro -- ants winning Wayfarer Texas 11 09-04-2003 04:08 PM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
ants in worm farm Mousie Australia 8 02-04-2003 10:20 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 03:32 PM