Old 29-04-2007, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default locating underground stream

A neighbour recently told me that she could hear an underground stream
flowing beneath her garden, and suggested maybe it flowed across mine
too. Then someone sent me an old map of the West Hampstead area in
London which shows an underground stream passing more or less along
the boundary between the bottom of my garden, and the field next
door. If the stream lies on my side of the boundary and isn't too
deep, it might be nice to uncover it and create a natural pool. I'll
need some kind of survey to pinpoint it, of course - has anyone got
any experience with reliable people/companies who do this kind of
thing ?

Ken

Old 29-04-2007, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
oups.com...
A neighbour recently told me that she could hear an underground stream
flowing beneath her garden, and suggested maybe it flowed across mine
too. Then someone sent me an old map of the West Hampstead area in
London which shows an underground stream passing more or less along
the boundary between the bottom of my garden, and the field next
door. If the stream lies on my side of the boundary and isn't too
deep, it might be nice to uncover it and create a natural pool. I'll
need some kind of survey to pinpoint it, of course - has anyone got
any experience with reliable people/companies who do this kind of
thing ?

Ken

Your 'stream' may already be curvetted and in a huge concrete tube :-((

I worked for a builder in Leicester in the 60's and this is what they did
before building an estate :-((

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 29-04-2007, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

Your 'stream' may already be curvetted and in a huge concrete tube :-((

Try 'culvetted' Spell check wanted to do something different.

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

I worked for a builder in Leicester in the 60's and this is what they did
before building an estate :-((

Mike

--
.................................................. .............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 29-04-2007, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

You could try dowsing:

http://www.leyman.demon.co.uk/Dowsing.html

I am being serious, it can be incredibly accurate. I have seen it used with
empty Bic Biros for handles but with copper wire.

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way
oups.com...

Old 29-04-2007, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote

wrote in message
roups.com...
A neighbour recently told me that she could hear an underground stream
flowing beneath her garden, and suggested maybe it flowed across mine
too. Then someone sent me an old map of the West Hampstead area in
London which shows an underground stream passing more or less along
the boundary between the bottom of my garden, and the field next
door. If the stream lies on my side of the boundary and isn't too
deep, it might be nice to uncover it and create a natural pool. I'll
need some kind of survey to pinpoint it, of course - has anyone got
any experience with reliable people/companies who do this kind of
thing ?

Your 'stream' may already be curvetted and in a huge concrete tube :-((

I worked for a builder in Leicester in the 60's and this is what they did
before building an estate :-((

That's what largely happened to the river Fleet isn't it?
--
Roger Hunt

Old 29-04-2007, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 'Mike' wrote:

Your 'stream' may already be curvetted and in a huge concrete tube :-((

Try 'culvetted' Spell check wanted to do something different.

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 29-04-2007, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 'Mike' wrote:

Your 'stream' may already be curvetted and in a huge concrete tube :-((

Try 'culvetted' Spell check wanted to do something different.

Try "culverted".

David

Old 29-04-2007, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baal" wrote in message
.. .
You could try dowsing:

http://www.leyman.demon.co.uk/Dowsing.html

I am being serious, it can be incredibly accurate. I have seen it used
with empty Bic Biros for handles but with copper wire.

My daughter does dowsing using rods made out of metal coat hangers, cheap
and effective.

kate

Old 29-04-2007, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 'Mike' wrote:

Your 'stream' may already be curvetted and in a huge concrete tube :-((

Try 'culvetted' Spell check wanted to do something different.

Try "culverted".

David

:-))

That's what I was looking for thank you.

You know when a word doesn't look right and I couldn't see what that was
:-(( and spellcheque(G) was as good as a chocolate teapot :-(

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 29-04-2007, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Roger Hunt writes
'Mike' wrote

wrote in message
groups.com...
[...]

It does sound likely that it's culverted. Streams don't go underground
of their own accord except in limestone country.
--
Kay

Old 29-04-2007, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/4/07 19:26, in article ,
"Baal" wrote:

You could try dowsing:

http://www.leyman.demon.co.uk/Dowsing.html

I am being serious, it can be incredibly accurate. I have seen it used with
empty Bic Biros for handles but with copper wire.

It is accurate in the right hands and it's interesting to experiment
yourself. I can dowse but I can't tell if it's sweet water or foul water -
I was taught that but have forgotten the principles.
The water might have been diverted or enclosed. In my previous garden, it
was in a stone culvert under my lawn and the culvert had collapsed, causing
some problems which had been exacerbated by box culverts created under the
road by the council who hadn't mapped them. Big mess!
If you can find first, a map of the area showing the streams and secondly, a
vouched for dowser your life will be easier.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-04-2007, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 29/4/07 19:26, in article ,
"Baal" wrote:

[...]

That is http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk which Hubbard is advertising. Well
worth a look and full of lots of interesting information from lots of
sights.

Go and take a peek over the fence.

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 29-04-2007, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote...
Roger Hunt writes
'Mike' wrote

wrote in message
egroups.com...
[...]

Guess why the River Mole has that name, and it's not a tiny little stream.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 29-04-2007, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote
Roger Hunt writes
'Mike' wrote

wrote in message
egroups.com...
[...]

I dimly remember a documentary about streams and rivers in a part of
Yugoslavia, I think it was, that went below and emerged further on, and
disappeared again etc, in that Limestone terrain. I think the prog was
done by caving people who knew the likelihood of good exploration down
there (somewhere).
--
Roger Hunt
Old 29-04-2007, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/4/07 23:00, in article , "Keith
(Dorset)" wrote:

Hi Ken,

More on dowsing.

I once spent a summer living on a fairly remote farm on the north west coast
of Norway. One day the family brought in an elderly man who used a
coathanger to find the track of an underground stream there.

I was very suspicious of this at first, and OK, we didn't dig down to find
the/water. However, I did get to try the dowsing technique, and upon
instruction on how to hold it correctly, (this was over twenty years ago,
and I most likely couldn't do it now), the thing moved 'on its own', just as
appeared to do for him. I certainly didn't 'make it'.

It might just be worth getting someone in to try this.

snip

It most certainly moves on its own. You're quite right. If you have the
'gift' there is no doubt about what you feel. I've used forked twigs, metal
coat hangers set at right angles into wooden handles, plastic packing frame
strips joined by plastic tape, and my own bare hands. A month or two ago I
cut some forked bits out of a hazel hedge and we all had a go in the field.
Some 'got it', some got nothing. What was interesting was one of the cynics
'getting it' and being truly amazed at the feeling that came into his hands.
Once the dowsing instrument reacts, you can't stop it or control it without
letting go of it. I've had the skin nearly taken off my hands by a rough
piece of wood.
So - get a pliable forked branch about 2' long. Hold the forked ends in
each hand at about waist level, bending them outwards and giving them just
enough tension to feel it. If you can dowse, the rod will move either
upwards or downwards for you. Everyone has their own particular reaction.
In my case, when I dowse, I feel something in my hands before the instrument
reacts but I simply cannot describe it. It's just an 'awareness' and then
the twig or metal rod, or whatever, does its thing.
If it doesn't work for you, try working with a dowser who is know to have
the ability. For this, you will find a forked twig best. Hold one form of
the twig in e.g. your left hand while the dowser holds the other fork in his
right hand. Hold his or her unoccupied hand. As he gets the reaction, you
will feel it, too.