Old 01-07-2007, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garden centre - Seed packets rant!

On 1/7/07 13:49, in article , "David
(Normandy)" wrote:

"Beryl Harwood" wrote in message
The message
from "David \(Normandy\)" contains these words:

..big snip

I often joke to Mrs that some garden centres need a big sign saying "Dead
plants - Half price!"

I agree with you totally on that one!

However surely they should be 'free to a good home' !!! Afterall they
are not going to be able to sell them are they?

Beryl

Good point. I've never got enough plant pots. I wonder what happens to dead
plants? Do they and the plastic pot end up in landfill? Perhaps a nursery
will re-use the pots, but I doubt garden centres do.

David.

Plants go on a gigantic compost heap or bonfire and pots are re-used. Don't
know about garden centres but I think plants and pots simply get dumped
together in a skip.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-07-2007, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

(Normandy)" wrote:

"Beryl Harwood" wrote in message
The message
from "David \(Normandy\)" contains these
words:

..big snip

I often joke to Mrs that some garden centres need a big sign
saying "Dead
plants - Half price!"

I agree with you totally on that one!

However surely they should be 'free to a good home' !!! Afterall they
are not going to be able to sell them are they?

Beryl

Good point. I've never got enough plant pots. I wonder what happens
to dead
plants? Do they and the plastic pot end up in landfill? Perhaps a nursery
will re-use the pots, but I doubt garden centres do.

David.

Plants go on a gigantic compost heap or bonfire and pots are re-used. Don't

That's the right way to do it of course..

know about garden centres but I think plants and pots simply get dumped
together in a skip.

Another criminal waste
Beryl
Old 01-07-2007, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Beryl Harwood" wrote in message
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

On 1/7/07 13:49, in article ,
"David
(Normandy)" wrote:

[...]

There is a lot of it about. At our old house we splashed out and bought a
big 6 ring Smeg stainless steel cooker. It wasn't cheap. When it arrived it
had a small dent in the little door at the bottom that you keep oven trays
in. We complained of course and a replacement cooker arrived a few days
later. The delivery men said the slightly damaged cooker would just end up
in a skip and go for scrap, and nobody was allowed to buy it!

It is even difficult to get cardboard boxes from some supermarkets now, when
moving house they are very useful, but our local Kwik Save refused to let us
have any - now against company policy - they all have to be flattened and go
in the waste.

Somebody on this newsgroup recently said they'd asked workmen if he could
have some old paving slabs they were digging up outside his house and was
refused - unless he'd got a waste licence they had to go into land fill!

The world is going mad.

David.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

An error David.....it is not going it has GONE...........H

Old 01-07-2007, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

(Normandy)" wrote:

[...]

There are a few garden centres in this area and one of our staff has a
partner working at one of them. So we know that plants which have nothing
wrong with them, other than one or two dead leaves or some slight browning
of the foliage, or the flowers have gone over are chucked in the skip.
The wastage is absolutely huge, taken overall. The staff aren't trained to
nurture them, re-pot them etc. It's rather akin to supermarkets taking only
100% perfect, shiny, washed fruit or veg.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary Fisher wrote:

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message

While I'm in ranting mood, the other thing that rattles my cage is items
with no prices on them.

I thought that was illegal according to the EU. I could be wrong, it has
been known ;-)

I used to work as a price checker for a DIY store many moons ago. In
those days the store could be fined £1000 for every missing price label
if they were caught by Trading Standards. Likewise for any item that had
a price label with a lower price than was in the checkout computer (the
other way round was OK because that would be in the customers' favour).

The rules may have changed since then of course, and I've no idea
whether that was a Uk thing or EU wide, so it may or may not apply to
French garden centres.

--
Carol (in Derbyshire)
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put
Old 02-07-2007, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Carol Hague" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

[...]

I don't know if it is supposed to apply in France, but it is certainly not
enforced. It depends on the garden centre, but as a generalisation I'd say
that at least 10% of plants don't have a price label on them here. It gets
rather tedious chasing up members of staff to find a price, so as I
mentioned, sometimes I just don't bother unless the plant has real 'wow'
factor.

David.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David (Normandy) wrote:

I don't know if it is supposed to apply in France, but it is certainly not
enforced. It depends on the garden centre, but as a generalisation I'd say
that at least 10% of plants don't have a price label on them here. It gets
rather tedious chasing up members of staff to find a price, so as I
mentioned, sometimes I just don't bother unless the plant has real 'wow'
factor.

It's certainly annoying - I'm like you, I won't buy things that aren't
priced unless it's something I need badly.

--
Carol
Old 02-07-2007, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David (Normandy) wrote:

I don't know if it is supposed to apply in France, but it is certainly
not
enforced. It depends on the garden centre, but as a generalisation I'd
say
that at least 10% of plants don't have a price label on them here. It
gets
rather tedious chasing up members of staff to find a price, so as I
mentioned, sometimes I just don't bother unless the plant has real 'wow'
factor.

It's certainly annoying - I'm like you, I won't buy things that aren't
priced unless it's something I need badly.

I usually take anything like that to the till, if it is a reasonable price I
take it, otherwise let them keep it!

Old 03-07-2007, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article om,
Crivens writes

In the first garden centre I looked, there were literally hundreds of
packets of seeds with no visible information on the front regarding sowing
dates and harvesting dates - this was buried in text on the back of the
packets.

David,
I have had the same problem but I now use this site (http://www.the-
gardeners-calendar.co.uk)to help me plan the planting schedules. If
you click on the vegetable you are interested in, you are taken to a
page with different varieties and planting schedules. Not everything
is covered, but it has been getting better over the past few months.
I hope it helps,
Crivens

There's also a good one on Nickys seeds website

http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seed...s/calendar.htm
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph