Old 30-07-2007, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default glyphosate

On Jul 30, 2:58 pm, "Cat(h)" wrote:
On Jul 30, 9:27 am, Martin Brown
wrote:

It is an astonishingly effective weedkiller and relatively benign. The
wetting agents used in the commercial formulations are more dangerous
than the active ingredient.

We don't use it near veg but we do use sprays when all else fails.

If you hit green plant material with it then the plant will very
likely die. I generally only use it on the most persistent weeds in
the wrong place. Ground elder, mares tail and that sort of thing.

I dont like spraying unless I have to.

Question on glyphosate.
It is very, very effective, and was a lifesaver when I started out
from scratch in teh garden.
Now, it is not an option, due to just how effective it is on
everything.

You just need to be more careful handling it to make sure you never
move the spray wand whilst spray is still escaping (or use it when
there is even the slightest wind). Overspray always hits the most
delicate choice plants according to Murphy's Law (and he was an
optimist). You can get glyphosate based sponge tipped pens (like the
sort of boot polish application device) for hitting awkward spots
accurately. Or convert a felt tip pen (unlicenced use). You don't want
to accidentally dribble weedkiller on something precious.

And if you do hit something unintentionally chop off the affected part
immediately and it should be OK.

The only plants I have found that will survive a direct glyphosate hit
are holly and ivy seedlings and buttercup. I expect a few more very
waxy leaved plants will also survive. Most other things expire
completely after a couple of weeks.

I am just wondering whether "painting" some on leaves to minimise
splashes onto surrounding plants would be an effective way of getting
rid of some difficult to pull plants?

Yes. Although it would be unlicenced use. Careful about drips from the
brush though. The felt tip or sponge applicator method is probably
preferable for handling glyphosate in a tight corner.

Ditto for use in lawns the broadleaved weedkiller in a waxy stick is
also handy for odd spot weeding.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 30-07-2007, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Martin Brown writes
On Jul 30, 1:06 pm, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:

Essentially because air has next to no thermal inertia and so the heat
pump in the fridge cycles much faster when there is nothing at all
except the plastic and air inside the freezer. Many freezers have a
couple of cold blocks for picnic baskets in them by default which
helps. Basically a freezer chock full of stuff has a large thermal
inertia and the compressor for the heat pump only needs to come on
very rarely.

What do you mean by 'thermal inertia'? Sorry, my lack of interest in A
level physics is showing up here.

From below, I think what you're saying is that the small amount of heat
getting though the insulation is able to raise the temperature of air by
more than it is able to raise the temperature of something solid, so the
deepfreeze has to do more work to keep the temperature down when there
is more air inside compared with solids.

Why is that? Is it simply because air is a mixture of gases, ie it's the
physical gaseous state?

In this case it gives the freezer a larger heat capacity so that the
tiny leak of heat getting in through the insulation can only change
the interior temperature very slowly. When it is empty the pump will
come on more often.

But if having lots of air in means the leak of heat can change the
temperature more quickly, doesn't the reverse also happen - that
lowering the temperature of a solid mass takes more energy than lowering
the temperature of a gaseous mass. And if not, why not?

Does exchange of air when you open the door have an effect? Cold air
billows out, so must be replaced by warmer air, that then needs to be
cooled.
--
Kay
Old 30-07-2007, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article et,
Sally Thompson wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 14:58:06 +0100, Cat(h) wrote
(in article .com):

snip very interesting discussion on glyphosate

Question on glyphosate.
It is very, very effective, and was a lifesaver when I started out
from scratch in teh garden.
Now, it is not an option, due to just how effective it is on
everything.
I am just wondering whether "painting" some on leaves to minimise
splashes onto surrounding plants would be an effective way of getting
rid of some difficult to pull plants?

Yes, that will work. It is best to then seal the "painted" leaves in a small
plastic bag, secured with a tie, so that there is no risk to surrounding
plants. It looks unsightly but you should only need to do it once! We don't
use sprays as a general rule but as an example have recently been given a
clump of Michaelmas Daisies with a ripe piece of bindweed in the middle,
impossible really to remove totally. Since at present we have no bindweed
here (everything else ...), I have inserted the end of the bindweed into a
small bag as above, and it is nicely withering away now.

I'm using a mixture of glyphosate, wallpaper paste and bright orange dye
with a 25mm paintbrush. (I know mixing your own is totally illegal and
I expect a visit from the relevant authorities quite soon.)
The wallpaper paste is simply a thickener - which helps reduce splash a
bit but also lets me put a thicker coat on waxy leaves, eg ivy. The dye
lets me see what I've done and is also good to identify splashes on
clothes or skin. The dye used is the orange dye used in sweet-and-sour
sauce - mainly because its probably not too harmful itself and you can
buy kilo packs of it in chinese supermarkets for a couple of quid.
Old 30-07-2007, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/7/07 18:20, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 15:14:55 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 30/7/07 14:53, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 14:30:24 +0200, Emery Davis
wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 11:29:54 -0000
" wrote:

On Jul 30, 8:36 am, "Uncle Marvo"
, I, Marvo, say :

I don't claim to be a wine expert ...

From where I'm sitting that looks like modesty in the extreme :-)

Believe me it is - he is an expert.

The trouble with claiming to be an expert is that people might actually
expect you to be one!

I know many who are more knowledgeable about wine than I, who don't
claim to be experts. There's a poster here in urg who may well leave me
in the dust.

Hugh Johnson and Jancis Robinson are experts; I'm a dabbler. (I do
enjoy dabbling, though! )

So tell us, now that we have established that organic wine has the same
chemicals added to it as el cheapo plonk, why we should pay a premium for
organic wine?

My guess is because it's weeded and generally looked after by hand and
because when it's harvested, it's picked by hand. (see Chateau Romanin
again) But that is just my guess.

That is irrelevant to the final result.

You asked why we should pay a premium for organic wine and those are some
possible reasons - more labour intensive. Perhaps.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 31-07-2007, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 10:46:49 +0100
"Uncle Marvo" wrote:

, I, Marvo, say :

(Never seen a cheap
TBA, though, Marvo. But there are lots of good stickies from e.g.
the Loire that aren't too dear.)

I blag them from the "shows". Usually you can taste enough for nothing to
get merry on, then once you've found the right one you order half a dozen
half-bottles, which are a good price, then you "find" that the delivery
charge is where they make their money, which you refuse to pay.

Still not cheap, but reasonable.

What a scheme! When I go to the shows I have to spit, otherwise I'd quickly
be hammered. And not have a clue what I was tasting. (One exception for
this was with the Glen Grant people in Paris, including a wonderful Glen Farclas
vertical. I staggered home, probably walked twice as far as the regular distance.)
At the trade shows I usually taste well over 100 wines, before my palate packs up.
And of course usually I've got to get in the car and drive, too...

I used to know a bloke who was a buyer for GV (I think), and he had a garage
full of the stuff. Every time I mended his PC my stock increased by one.

Folks with decent cellars often like giving it away. I know I do, anyway. It's lots of
fun to give an older bottle, or something unusual.

I pay my mole catcher with wine. He doesn't actually drink anymore himself,
so I usually try to give something his wife can enjoy as an aperitif, like a
Coteaux du Layon or Muscat de Beaumes de Venise. It's a great deal for
me, he's a very talented fellow with the old trap!

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to

Old 31-07-2007, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 31, 11:35 am, Emery Davis wrote:
I pay my mole catcher with wine. He doesn't actually drink anymore himself,
so I usually try to give something his wife can enjoy as an aperitif, like a
Coteaux du Layon or Muscat de Beaumes de Venise. It's a great deal for
me, he's a very talented fellow with the old trap!

Emery how far are you from me (en France)

Judith

Old 31-07-2007, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 04:41:42 -0700
" wrote:

On Jul 31, 11:35 am, Emery Davis wrote:
I pay my mole catcher with wine. He doesn't actually drink anymore himself,
so I usually try to give something his wife can enjoy as an aperitif, like a
Coteaux du Layon or Muscat de Beaumes de Venise. It's a great deal for
me, he's a very talented fellow with the old trap!

Emery how far are you from me (en France)

If it's the mole catcher you covet, sorry. Too far. We're near Argentan in the
Orne, maybe 250 miles from you.

Anyway, he is slowing down. Had a heart attack that worried us all, but he actually
seems better for it (no doubt now on the proper medication) and insists on continuing
the moley duties. He was postman for the village his whole life -- his family had the
little grocery/post, now long gone -- so he's great for a natter about the youthful
indiscretions of the town council.

Finding a good mole catcher is difficult these days.

-E

Old 31-07-2007, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" wrote:

[...]

We just paint the moles with a mixture of glyphosate and cheap plonk
it seems to do the trick.

glyphosate and vegetables Martin Brown United Kingdom 2 05-08-2003 03:43 PM
Glyphosate Huskies4all Roses 7 29-05-2003 05:56 PM
The dangers of weed killers - Glyphosate aka Roundup, the hidden killer. Malcolm United Kingdom 0 15-05-2003 10:45 AM
storage lifetime of glyphosate dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 7 12-05-2003 07:56 PM
storage lifetime of glyphosate dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 4 12-05-2003 11:45 AM