Old 11-09-2007, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Asparagus berries

This morning I noticed a few bright red (beautiful) berries on some
asparagus ferns.

I know I've read something, somewhere about this but can't remember what was
said.

Do I leave them on, remove them or just cut down the whole ferns?

TIA

Mary

Old 11-09-2007, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote:

This morning I noticed a few bright red (beautiful) berries on some
asparagus ferns.

That means you have some girl asparagii, and they're with child.
You can smush the ripe berries and wash the black seeds inside to plant if
you want to produce more plants.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

This morning I noticed a few bright red (beautiful) berries on some
asparagus ferns.

That means you have some girl asparagii, and they're with child.

Oh no! I didn't know things like that went on in our garden :-)

You can smush the ripe berries and wash the black seeds inside to plant if
you want to produce more plants.

I don't, but thanks for the tip. There's no more room in my small asparagus
bed, if anything it's already overcrowded.

Mary

Old 11-09-2007, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 14:36:08 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
.. .
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

This morning I noticed a few bright red (beautiful) berries on some
asparagus ferns.

That means you have some girl asparagii, and they're with child.

Oh no! I didn't know things like that went on in our garden :-)

You can smush the ripe berries and wash the black seeds inside to plant if
you want to produce more plants.

I don't, but thanks for the tip. There's no more room in my small asparagus
bed, if anything it's already overcrowded.

Mary

You could pass it on to your neighbours maybe?
we've got a neighbour who never refuses any plants including a ripped
up apple tree someone left in an alley and she nursed it back to
health.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Old 11-09-2007, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mogga" wrote in message

You could pass it on to your neighbours maybe?
we've got a neighbour who never refuses any plants including a ripped
up apple tree someone left in an alley and she nursed it back to
health.

I wish our neighbours were like that!

They either prefer to do no gardening at all or grow flowers. Next door's do
grow pears, runner beans, onions, tomatoes and something I've forgotten but
they never eat them. And they don't give them away either, just leave them
to rot.

There's nowt so queer as folks!

Mary

Old 12-09-2007, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
This morning I noticed a few bright red (beautiful) berries on some
asparagus ferns.

I know I've read something, somewhere about this but can't remember what
was said.

Do I leave them on, remove them or just cut down the whole ferns?

TIA

Mary

_______________________________________

Hi Mary,

Asparagus plants are either male or female and both produce flowers. The
male flowers pollinate those on the female, which then grow into berries.

Because the female plant uses up a lot of energy in producing the berries,
it is also not as healthy, doesn't live as long, and produces fewer spears
than a male (up to a third fewer).

It's best not to allow the berries to fall on the ground mainly for two
reasons; the first being that they will sprout to form new plants and cause
overcrowding. However, these can be removed when weeding, as necessary.

The second reason is a fungus, called "fusarium wilt", which will kill
asparagus and can spread from the mother plant, via the seeds, into the
soil, producing red streaks at the base of the shoots before the inner root
tissue collapses. How likely this is, I don't know!

The RHS advises that you remove any female plants and yet you can buy both
female and male crowns.

Growers are working on producing all-male varieties to benefit from the
better harvest and there are several on the market at the moment,
including - Jersey Giant, Jersey Prince, and Jersey Knight.

How do I know all this? I'm no expert but I have a bed of about twenty
asparagus ferns, out of which three are covered with berries. One gardening
book said, "Never let the berries fall on the soil" but didn't give a
reason. None of my other gardening books mentioned the berries, so, I've
spent hours, over the past weeks, reading, asking questions, and searching
the Internet trying to find out why. I only managed, from many sources, to
piece the story together yesterday.

I like to know the full story and hate being told to this or don't do that
without being given a good reason why. If I know why, I can make my own
judgements in future.

I hope this helps.

Best regards

John

Old 12-09-2007, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 John Vanini wrote:

I like to know the full story and hate being told to this or don't do that
without being given a good reason why. If I know why, I can make my own
judgements in future.

I quite agree! But this was a failing of the head gardeners and garden
writers of yesteryear which is why we had a generation of people who
followed the advice that they had been given without having the
slightest idea why. And then people said that they must be right because
they had been taught by such-and-such a person - and so the ignorance
continued.

I remember the same thing when I was a child. If I asked why something
was done, it was interpreted as a challenge. "Don't ask questions. Just
DO it!"

Thank goodness times have changed.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 12-09-2007, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John Vanini" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
This morning I noticed a few bright red (beautiful) berries on some
asparagus ferns.

snip most

I hope this helps.

Thank you, John, it was very informative - and yes, helpful. Saved me from
trying to find all that conflicting stuff!

I'm genuinely grateful, your post has been saved.

Mary

Old 12-09-2007, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 John Vanini wrote:

I like to know the full story and hate being told to this or don't do that
without being given a good reason why. If I know why, I can make my own
judgements in future.

I quite agree! But this was a failing of the head gardeners and garden
writers of yesteryear which is why we had a generation of people who
followed the advice that they had been given without having the slightest
idea why. And then people said that they must be right because they had
been taught by such-and-such a person - and so the ignorance continued.

Same old story in Industry when a new starter arrives, "Sit with Tom, Dick,
Harry, Agnes, Flo, they will show you" Yes bad habits as well :-(

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 John Vanini wrote:

I remember the same thing when I was a child. If I asked why something was
done, it was interpreted as a challenge. "Don't ask questions. Just DO
it!"

Thank goodness times have changed.

In my experience they haven't, much. I'm always regarded as being
challenging when I ask why or for evidence.

Mary

Old 12-09-2007, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 John Vanini wrote:

I remember the same thing when I was a child. If I asked why something
was done, it was interpreted as a challenge. "Don't ask questions. Just
DO it!"

Thank goodness times have changed.

In my experience they haven't, much. I'm always regarded as being
challenging when I ask why or for evidence.

Mary

AH! But you can have too much product knowledge :-((

Percy Whiting in his great book "The Five Great Rules of Selling" gives a
wonderful example of this of where a Salesman was losing accounts when he
learnt too much of how a thing worked and bored the pants of his prospective
customers instead of just what it did!! What will it do for me? Is all that
is wanted in selling!! Well,....... almost ;-)

Mike

Old 12-09-2007, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

AH! But you can have too much product knowledge :-((

Percy Whiting in his great book "The Five Great Rules of Selling" gives a
wonderful example of this of where a Salesman was losing accounts when he
learnt too much of how a thing worked and bored the pants of his
prospective customers instead of just what it did!! What will it do for
me? Is all that is wanted in selling!! Well,....... almost ;-)

Mike

A timely reminder! Years ago on a marketing course I was taught to sell
"benefits" not "features". However, it is so easy to slip into the trap you
mentioned. I was just thinking about a website I am going to design,
promoting some software I'd written recently. The problem being of course my
detailed knowledge about all the wonderful details of how the software works
and all it's technical features. The design I had in mind would have "bored
the pants off prospective customers" instead of teasing them to buy because
of "what it can do for them".

David.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
[...]

I was at the Ideal Home Exhibition in Bournemouth a couple of weekends ago
and was interested in the Solar Panels for the roof. I am afraid the
salesmen were too technical on how the things were made to tell me the
advantages!!!

I have been asked by an MD to design a sales Course and give the Sales Team
a series of 'talks' to motivate :-))

Mike

Old 12-09-2007, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"'Mike'" writes:

| I was at the Ideal Home Exhibition in Bournemouth a couple of weekends ago
| and was interested in the Solar Panels for the roof. I am afraid the
| salesmen were too technical on how the things were made to tell me the
| advantages!!!

Sorry, but what you say is a recipe for fraud. When customers are too
stupid or ignorant to know when they are being flagrantly lied to, the
advantages are all with the sharks that do just that.

God help me, that is also why it is so hard to buy functional equipment
for many purposes, and why we get the politicians we deserve.

I utterly loathe salesdroids who claim to be technically competent
when it is clear that I have forgotten more than they will ever learn,
in an area that isn't even one of the ones where I claim much expertise.
Unfortunately, with the current dumbing down of everything, this is
becoming more common and even worse.

God help me, most of the so-called technical advisors of solar panel
companies don't seem to know EVEN the difference between the solar
constant, the average UK per diem insolation, its annual variation
and the potential power deliverable in electricity. They should be
required to pedal a rusty bicycle generator, stark naked, on a sunny
day on the top of Kilimanjaro until they have generated a kilowatt-
hour to teach them!

http://www.elise.com/quotes/a/heinle...or_insects.php

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.