Old 06-03-2008, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Orsemarinus officinalis Irene - UK available?

Does anybody know if this lovely tumbling Rosemary is available anywhere
in the UK? It's called "Rosemarinus officinalis Irene" or Rosemary
Irene, and it thrives in full sun, it's apparently "supertough" -
withstanding summer dryness, and it's fast growing. A ground-cover
variant that tumbles when it reaches the top of a wall.

http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/g...ne-Rosemar.jpg

Thanks,
Eddy.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rosemarinus officinalis Irene - UK available?

sorry about the typo!
Old 06-03-2008, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/3/08 18:10, in article , "Eddy"
wrote:

Does anybody know if this lovely tumbling Rosemary is available anywhere
in the UK? It's called "Rosemarinus officinalis Irene" or Rosemary
Irene, and it thrives in full sun, it's apparently "supertough" -
withstanding summer dryness, and it's fast growing. A ground-cover
variant that tumbles when it reaches the top of a wall.

http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/g...&current=Rosem
arinusofficinalisIrene-Rosemar.jpg

Where was the photo taken?
The only mention of R. Irene I've found is he
http://www.worldspices.co.uk/Rosemary.html

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-03-2008, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

On 6/3/08 18:10, in article , "Eddy"
wrote:

Does anybody know if this lovely tumbling Rosemary is available anywhere
in the UK? It's called "Rosemarinus officinalis Irene" or Rosemary
Irene, and it thrives in full sun, it's apparently "supertough" -
withstanding summer dryness, and it's fast growing. A ground-cover
variant that tumbles when it reaches the top of a wall.

http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/g...&current=Rosem
arinusofficinalisIrene-Rosemar.jpg

Where was the photo taken?
The only mention of R. Irene I've found is he
http://www.worldspices.co.uk/Rosemary.html

Hi Sacha,

Hope you're well. Thanks for the link. Above the list in which Irene
is included it says, "The following are frequently sold", and it's a UK
site . . . so I hope it's true!

We use Rosemary from the garden in great amounts, particularly on
chicken, so to get hold of this Irene would be to kill two birds with
one stone!

Eddy.

P.S. I think the photo is from the US and may have originated from
those who created this variant . . . which is, apparently, patented.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
The only mention of R. Irene I've found is he
http://www.worldspices.co.uk/Rosemary.html

Sacha, have just discovered that that entire site, above, consists of
material taken from Wikipedia . . . which is largely USA-generated. So
perhaps not "frequently sold" in UK at all?

Eddy.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Eddy
writes
Sacha wrote:

On 6/3/08 18:10, in article , "Eddy"
wrote:

Does anybody know if this lovely tumbling Rosemary is available anywhere
in the UK? It's called "Rosemarinus officinalis Irene" or Rosemary
Irene, and it thrives in full sun, it's apparently "supertough" -
withstanding summer dryness, and it's fast growing. A ground-cover
variant that tumbles when it reaches the top of a wall.

http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/g...&current=Rosem
arinusofficinalisIrene-Rosemar.jpg

Where was the photo taken?
The only mention of R. Irene I've found is he
http://www.worldspices.co.uk/Rosemary.html

Hi Sacha,

Hope you're well. Thanks for the link. Above the list in which Irene
is included it says, "The following are frequently sold", and it's a UK
site . . . so I hope it's true!

That turns out to be repurposed text from Wikipedia. It's not in Plant
Finder, and cursory web searches aren't turning up any UK sources.

However, it's Rosmarinus, not Rosemarinus - using the former should make
your web searches more productive.

We use Rosemary from the garden in great amounts, particularly on
chicken, so to get hold of this Irene would be to kill two birds with
one stone!

Eddy.

P.S. I think the photo is from the US and may have originated from
those who created this variant . . . which is, apparently, patented.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 06-03-2008, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 6 Mar, 18:55, Eddy wrote:
Sacha wrote:
The only mention of R. Irene I've found is he
http://www.worldspices.co.uk/Rosemary.html

Sacha, have just discovered that that entire site, above, consists of
material taken from Wikipedia . . . which is largely USA-generated. *So
perhaps not "frequently sold" in UK at all?

Eddy.

Looking through the Plantfinder there are
R. officinalis angustissimus Corsicus Prostratus
R. officinalis angustissimus Prostratus group

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 06-03-2008, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/3/08 18:50, in article , "Eddy"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/g...ew&current=Ros
em
arinusofficinalisIrene-Rosemar.jpg

Where was the photo taken?
The only mention of R. Irene I've found is he
http://www.worldspices.co.uk/Rosemary.html

Hi Sacha,

Hope you're well. Thanks for the link. Above the list in which Irene
is included it says, "The following are frequently sold", and it's a UK
site . . . so I hope it's true!

We use Rosemary from the garden in great amounts, particularly on
chicken, so to get hold of this Irene would be to kill two birds with
one stone!

Eddy.

P.S. I think the photo is from the US and may have originated from
those who created this variant . . . which is, apparently, patented.

I thought it was one you grew or had seen growing in UK. As with all
plants, it's possible someone has just called it 'Irene' because they lack
the real name and got it from someone called Irene. There are lots of
prostrate rosemaries you could grow so I wonder why this one is of
particular interest to you?

Old 06-03-2008, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/3/08 18:55, in article , "Eddy"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
The only mention of R. Irene I've found is he
http://www.worldspices.co.uk/Rosemary.html

Sacha, have just discovered that that entire site, above, consists of
material taken from Wikipedia . . . which is largely USA-generated. So
perhaps not "frequently sold" in UK at all?

Eddy.

No idea, unless you're just going on R. officinalis. I didn't go further
than looking it up on your given information,the name 'Irene'. I don't know
where it's grown in UK. All I got was the site I posted for you. I have an
old Plant Finder on my desk (04-05) and there is no mention of such a
rosemary. Perhaps you could ask Olivier Filippi if he knows of it.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
On 6/3/08 18:55, in article , "Eddy"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
The only mention of R. Irene I've found is he
http://www.worldspices.co.uk/Rosemary.html

Sacha, have just discovered that that entire site, above, consists of
material taken from Wikipedia . . . which is largely USA-generated. So
perhaps not "frequently sold" in UK at all?

Eddy.

No idea, unless you're just going on R. officinalis. I didn't go further
than looking it up on your given information,the name 'Irene'. I don't know
where it's grown in UK. All I got was the site I posted for you. I have an
old Plant Finder on my desk (04-05) and there is no mention of such a
rosemary. Perhaps you could ask Olivier Filippi if he knows of it.

Rosmarinus officinalis 'Irene'? (Irene Rosemary): High Country Gardens
Seems it was found growing wild in northern california and has been
registered for plant breeders rights and the name trade marked, I have
not seen any outlets over here but no doubt it wont be long. I am a
little puzzled as I thought Rosemary was a med. plant? do they have their
own species in California or is it just a garden escape.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 07-03-2008, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/3/08 10:26, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 6/3/08 18:55, in article , "Eddy"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
[...]

And bingo! I've had a brainwave and looked up San Marcos Growers in Santa
Barbara who propagate Ray's Nemesia out there. They have Rosemary
officinalis 'Irene'! I'm going to email them and ask if they know of an
outlet in UK. I imagine this is where Eddy found the photo because they
show the same one and have this text:

"Habit and Cultural Information
Category: Shrub
Family: Lamiaceae (Labiatae) (Mints)
Origin: Mediterranean (Europe)
Evergreen: Yes
Flower Color: Blue Violet
Bloomtime: Winter/Spring
Height: 1-2 feet
Width: 6-8 feet
Exposu Full Sun
Seaside: Yes
Drought Tolerant: Yes
Deer Tolerant: Yes
Irrigation Req.: Low Water Needs
Winter Hardiness: 15-20° F

Rosmarinus officinalis Irene PP9,124 ['Renzels'] (Trailing Blue Rosemary) -
A prostrate evergreen shrub to 2 feet tall by 6-8 feet wide with bright
green foliage and blue violet flowers in late winter through early spring
with sporadic bloom year-round. This prostrate rosemary has been touted as a
breakthrough in rosemary's because of its brilliant blue-violet floral color
and greener foliage. Cascades beautifully over walls with a hummocky growth
habit. As with other Rosemary it is resistant to deer and rabbit predation,
tolerant to salt spray, alkaline soils and drought. This plant was
discovered by Phil Johnson and is a patented variety under the cultivar name
'Renzels'. The description above is based on our research and observations
of this plant growing in our nursery and garden. We would appreciate hearing
from anyone who has additional information or disagrees with what we have
written."

Old 07-03-2008, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote:
Looking through the Plantfinder there are
R. officinalis angustissimus Corsicus Prostratus
R. officinalis angustissimus Prostratus group

I've only had a quick google, but the following seems to suggest that
"prostrate" rosemary is not like the American "Irene". It appears to be
more a dwarf rosemary, rather than a creeping/tumbling groundcover
variety.

See:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...es/10527.shtml

Sacha, am looking forward to hearing the results of your email to the
States. Maybe Irene emerged only recently?

Eddy.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Charlie
Pridham writes
In article ,
says...

http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/g...41721&expand=1
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 07-03-2008, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 18:10:41 GMT, Eddy
wrote:

Does anybody know if this lovely tumbling Rosemary is available anywhere
in the UK? It's called "Rosemarinus officinalis Irene" or Rosemary
Irene, and it thrives in full sun, it's apparently "supertough" -
withstanding summer dryness, and it's fast growing. A ground-cover
variant that tumbles when it reaches the top of a wall.

http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/g...ne-Rosemar.jpg

Thanks,
Eddy.

I saw a rosemary growing like that over walls in St Mawes, Cornwall.
I came home and tried to find out what it was without success. If I
had a wall I'd have continued my search! It was really beautiful,
very like your photo.

Pam in Bristol
Old 07-03-2008, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/g...w&current=Rose
marinusofficinalisIrene-Rosemar.jpg

Thanks,
Eddy.

I saw a rosemary growing like that over walls in St Mawes, Cornwall.
I came home and tried to find out what it was without success. If I
had a wall I'd have continued my search! It was really beautiful,
very like your photo.

Pam in Bristol

That may well have been the so-called 'Salcombe Rosemary' that I posted a
pic of on here some time ago, Pam. Nobody can actually name it but thinks
it must be a sport of some sort. I think Judith's husband is still trying
to get his botanist friends to track that one down. The Salcombe one is
even longer but from the description of 'Irene', I'd say the Salcombe
Rosemary isn't as deep in colour, perhaps.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
children.'

Acer palmatum 'Anne Irene' Ginkgo Gardening 4 25-02-2013 04:48 PM
Irene Chris Thompson[_2_] Gardening 3 28-08-2011 01:54 PM
Rosemary 'Irene' Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 2 25-03-2008 10:38 PM
Rosa Gallica Officinalis availability gOD Roses 13 21-06-2003 07:56 PM
plain old sage (salvia officinalis) Hillary Israeli Edible Gardening 5 16-06-2003 04:04 PM