Old 27-05-2008, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gardening on telly

The few threads on here discussing the compared merits of various
possible presenters for Gardeners' World have set my mind awander...
Gardening programmes on telly used to be educational, now television
executives tend to put a higher premium on entertainment. And like it
or not, gardening, or at least the appearance of it, tends to attract
the punters. And, unashamedly, I am one of them.
Bearing in mind that the education on how to propagate, prune etc. can
be got on line, from experts and keen amateurs here or in books, what
is so wrong with providing entertainment to the masses through
gardening programmes?
I am quite a consumer of gardening and cookery programmes - mostly for
entertainment, though both give me ideas I often pursue (cookery
programmes more so than gardening ones, by the way). I am a keen
cook, and I am a fair weather gardener. And I love to be entertained
by a quality TV programme.
Say what you like about the shortcomings of the early series of Ground
Force (I hear the rumbles of "Anathema!!" building up amid the ranks
of those in urg who for some unexplainable reason do not believe in
instant gardens), the chemistry between the protagonists and their
individual personalities made for good telly watching.
Gardeners' World has always entertained me, because it was always well
produced, and again because of the personalities of the various
presenters (some good, some that I like less) - though I have not
watched too many of the more recent series - I tend to watch re-runs
on UK TV rather than real times series on the Beeb, generally
broadcast at times I am not watching.
Home Front in the garden was also good in the early days - though both
Llewelyn Bowen and Gavin have become fully paid up members of the
prima donna prat brigade since then.
I loved the series done about "A Year in Kew" - presented by Mr Tit
himself, but good television to me. And while I'm in confession mode,
I admit it - for all his over exposure, I still really like to watch a
gardening or nature programme presented by Alan Titchmarsh.
I used to love Helen Dillon on RTE, though haven't seen her in ages.
However, some of the very worse programmes used to fill up
broadcasting hours on such channels as UK TV Garden have to be among
the most bloody awful formats - like Garden ER (gasp!), Garden Rivals
(yuck!), Weed and Reap (I kid you not - this is a half way house
between house selling and gardening), Garden Invaders (yawnnn!) etc.

Anyway, I like Telly Gardening as entertainment if it is well done,
even if it is not remotely educational, and I need to come back here
to ask how to graft my leeks*.

Cat(h)
Old 27-05-2008, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message

Love your post, Cath, although I have no idea what you're talking about (no
telly but ***** to Mr Tit)!

What's this, though, about grafting leeks?

I've sown leeks for the first time ever because a grandson has grown them in
France and waxed lyrical about their form as they grew (he's an artist).

Never heard of grafting them though ...

Mary

Old 27-05-2008, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 27, 9:02 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message

Love your post, Cath, although I have no idea what you're talking about (no
telly but ***** to Mr Tit)!

What's this, though, about grafting leeks?

I've sown leeks for the first time ever because a grandson has grown them in
France and waxed lyrical about their form as they grew (he's an artist).

Never heard of grafting them though ...

Mary

Nor me Mary, where is your grandson in France?

Judith
Old 27-05-2008, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message

Love your post, Cath, although I have no idea what you're talking about
(no
telly but ***** to Mr Tit)!

What's this, though, about grafting leeks?

I've sown leeks for the first time ever because a grandson has grown them
in
France and waxed lyrical about their form as they grew (he's an artist).

Never heard of grafting them though ...

Mary

Nor me Mary, where is your grandson in France?

At the moment he's not, he's in USA, waiting for his African girl friend to
get a visa to England.

His parents (our daughter) live about half an hour south of Limoges.

We've not been.

Mary

Old 27-05-2008, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in ...

"Cat(h)" wrote in message

Love your post, Cath, although I have no idea what you're talking about
(no
telly but ***** to Mr Tit)!

What's this, though, about grafting leeks?

I've sown leeks for the first time ever because a grandson has grown them
in
France and waxed lyrical about their form as they grew (he's an artist).

Never heard of grafting them though ...

Mary

Nor me Mary, where is your grandson in France?

At the moment he's not, he's in USA, waiting for his African girl friend to
get a visa to England.

His parents (our daughter) live about half an hour south of Limoges.

We've not been.

Mary

Your daughter is not far from me then Mary, any thoughts of coming to
visit her?

Judith

Old 27-05-2008, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message

Your daughter is not far from me then Mary, any thoughts of coming to
visit her?

Judith

We haven't been invited ... we weren't told that they were leaving Leeds.

In 1998 I was diagnosed with and had surgery and other treatment for breast
cancer. It's not uncommon, sadly, for friends and even close family members
to cut one off when that happens. Inexplicable but true :-( Even my mother
did ...

That daughter's daughter is living with us at present while she completes a
college course in Leeds. She had her 21st birthday recently, celebrating it
in Cheltenham, her boy friend's home. Her parents went to Cheltenham and
apparently came to Leeds to visit a brother but didn't come here ...

We've stopped losing sleep about it, life might be too short for both of us
(Spouse also has cancer) so we make the most of every day which brings
rewards. Those which don't aren't counted.

This really isn't the place to discuss such matters but I suspect that
people who cut themselves off from close family and friends with cancer
simply can't cope with it, they don't know what to say. Some of our other
children at least *said* that they didn't know what to say or that they
couldn't handle it, we were able to get over that. Silence is much more
difficult.

I think I'm saying that so that anyone reading this might understand that
even a silent hug of someone with bad news means an awful lot, even if
sympathy can't be expressed verbally.

Life is very sweet,

Mary

Old 27-05-2008, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Cat(h)" wrote in message

Love your post, Cath, although I have no idea what you're talking about
(no telly but ***** to Mr Tit)!

What's this, though, about grafting leeks?

I've sown leeks for the first time ever because a grandson has grown them
in France and waxed lyrical about their form as they grew (he's an
artist).

Never heard of grafting them though ...

Mary

Tree Leeks ??? *

Derek
http://www.groworganic.com/item_SNV9..._Carentan.html
* did intend to write Bush but realised the double entendre just before
hitting post

Old 28-05-2008, 12:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 27, 10:27 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...

[...]

Mary, I don't know what to say either, but consider yourself hugged,
hugely; and anytime you want a hug, you know where I am.

Last week I went through an ordeal related to breast cancer, my mother
died of it at the age of 49. I now have peace of mind, my Girls were
so protective, somehow I wish they were not so because if anything
happened to me they will not be prepared and they will hurt. I would
think this is the way your child dealt with it?

Here's another hug, can I have one back?

Judith
Old 28-05-2008, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message

Mary, I don't know what to say either, but consider yourself hugged,
hugely; and anytime you want a hug, you know where I am.

Thanks, I'm not short of huygs but an extra one never comes amiss :-)

Last week I went through an ordeal related to breast cancer, my mother
died of it at the age of 49.

Oh, Judith, that's very sad. So young ...

I now have peace of mind,

Which is the most precious things one can have.

my Girls were
so protective, somehow I wish they were not so because if anything
happened to me they will not be prepared and they will hurt.

*Something* is 'going to happen' to all of us, none of us is immortal and
death can be protrated, which gives time to prepare, or sudden, which is a
shock although we comfort ourselves by saying that it was quick, no
suffering etc. There's no good way for survivors.

I would
think this is the way your child dealt with it?

Judith, we have no idea. We've tried asking but to no avail.

Here's another hug, can I have one back?

Prepare yourself, my hugs have been likened to those of bears!

BIG HUG

Thanks for listening, Judith, and I apologise to anyone who has read the
above and is affronted because it's off-topic.

Mary

Old 28-05-2008, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 28, 9:50 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

Prepare yourself, my hugs have been likened to those of bears!

BIG HUG

Thanks for listening, Judith, and I apologise to anyone who has read the
above and is affronted because it's off-topic.

Mary

No thanks are necessary and nobody could or would be affronted, I'm
sure we all feel for you Mary, none of us are immune to pain and
loss. Now I must away, I have a plane to catch.

Judith p.s. here's another hug for you until I get back xx

Old 28-05-2008, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 28 May 2008 09:50:32 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

*Something* is 'going to happen' to all of us, none of us is immortal
and death can be protrated, which gives time to prepare, or sudden,
which is a shock although we comfort ourselves by saying that it was
quick, no suffering etc.

Or even in between, my mother had a stroke completely out of the blue. If
that stroke had taken her it wouldn't have been any less of a shock or
trauma but it didn't. Instead she was paralised with only some limited
facial expression and minimal use of one hand. She went from an fit and
active 77 year old to being bed ridden, fully incontinent and utterly
dependant on others in the blink of eye. Her mind was still all there you
could see it in her eyes, expressions and reaction to conversation. That
was far worse to witness than the shock of the stroke or her death 6 days
later.

There's no good way for survivors.

True, but death is part of life, one has to live with it not deny it.

My mothers death, a roll over road accident and being scared shitless out
in the Gulf just before Gulf War I have taught me that there is much more
to life than material things.

Thanks for listening, Judith, and I apologise to anyone who has read the
above and is affronted because it's off-topic.

No way do you need to apologise. If anyone does have a "problem" with this
subject they really need to take a long hard realistic look at themselves
and their attitudes. All of use will die, full stop, end of story, no
avoiding it. So why deny it? I must put a bit in my will to stuff a few
hundred quid behind the bar of the pub so people can have a drink and
celebrate either knowing me or not having to put up with me any more.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 29-05-2008, 12:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message

Love your post, Cath, although I have no idea what you're talking about (no
telly but ***** to Mr Tit)!

Thanks... I think?

What's this, though, about grafting leeks?

I've sown leeks for the first time ever because a grandson has grown them in
France and waxed lyrical about their form as they grew (he's an artist).

Never heard of grafting them though ...

Mary

Sorry, that's a silly joke.
My father used to be a keen gardener, and one year he grew massive
leeks.
A particularly annoying and silly neighbour was oohing and aahing
about them, and he just told her that he had grafted them, deadpan.
She spread the news throughout the neighbourhood... giving a lot of
people a giggle or two.
I guess you had to be there :-)

Cat(h)
Old 29-05-2008, 12:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Sorry Mary. This is sad. I hope that your kid rethink their
attitude. I know that they'll regret it in time.

I'll join Judith in a cyberhug.

Cat(h)
Old 29-05-2008, 12:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 28, 10:27*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
[...]

There goes my thread on telly gardening :-)
I think it is always fascinating how thread drift can bring about very
interesting exchanges - and this is one of them.
Very few people go through life without personal tragedy of some
sort. I am surrounded by people who have lost loved ones
prematurely to cancer or some other tragedy, as I have myself. I can
only agree with a comment Mary made earlier on - and I paraphrase -
that if you don't know what to say, a silent hug is not a bad way to
respond.

Cat(h)