Old 31-05-2008, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Domestic cats troubles

Mary Fisher wrote:

snipped

So I repeat, what's the problem with collar doves and pigeons?

Mary

Those members of the anti collar doves brigade can take comfort that,
according to the RSPB, they are on a decline in the UK and Europe.
Pigeons, on the ther hand, show every sign of rude health.

Peter
--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far
Old 31-05-2008, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| So I repeat, what's the problem with collar doves and pigeons?

The first two of these reasons are a FRM (Frequently Repeated Moan).

In most areas, they are THE major pest of brassicas and some other
crops, and are the main reason that many farmers use those explosive
machines that cause bangs from dawn to dusk and are audible for
miles around.

That's on a large scale. They've never affected our brassicae.

Your other points are irrelevant to us, therefore in our situation they're
not a problem.

We can't be unique.

Mankind is far more of a problem ... :-(

Mary

Old 31-05-2008, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete Stockdale" wrote in message

Th collar doves spend all day annoyingly coocoocooing

We like the sounds of all birds. Even gulls - but we don't have them.

and the pidgens can destroy a row of newly sown seed in minutes.

Perhaps they can, but they've never done it here.

Our bantams have ... :-)

Apart from that they are just lovable Gods creatures !

And they taste good. Never eaten collar doves mind you ...

Mary

Old 31-05-2008, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| In most areas, they are THE major pest of brassicas and some other
| crops, and are the main reason that many farmers use those explosive
| machines that cause bangs from dawn to dusk and are audible for
| miles around.
|
| That's on a large scale. They've never affected our brassicae.

They have taken 90% of my sprouting broccoli crop, and have prevented
crops like mizuna from grwoing until I netted them. Many other people
have had the same experiences.

| Your other points are irrelevant to us, therefore in our situation they're
| not a problem.

Many people grow peas.

| We can't be unique.

You aren't, but you are unusual; the problems with pigeons and collared
doves are widespread in the UK. We need more of the hawks that can
deal with them.

And, to answer your implied question about collared doves, they
taste much better than wood pigeon - less coarse and dry.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-05-2008, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" writes:

| In most areas, they are THE major pest of brassicas and some other
| crops, and are the main reason that many farmers use those explosive
| machines that cause bangs from dawn to dusk and are audible for
| miles around.
|
| That's on a large scale. They've never affected our brassicae.

They have taken 90% of my sprouting broccoli crop, and have prevented
crops like mizuna from grwoing until I netted them. Many other people
have had the same experiences.

I believe you, I repeat that we've never had problems.

| Your other points are irrelevant to us, therefore in our situation
they're
| not a problem.

Many people grow peas.

| We can't be unique.

You aren't, but you are unusual; the problems with pigeons and collared
doves are widespread in the UK. We need more of the hawks that can
deal with them.

The hawks might also 'deal with' birds you don't want to harm ...

And, to answer your implied question about collared doves, they
taste much better than wood pigeon - less coarse and dry.

We eat a lot of wood pigeon, and have never found it coarse and dry. Perhaps
it depends on how it's prepared and cooked? some people rave about peacock,
I wouldn't bother with it :-)

Where can I buy collar dove to try it? It's not game, is it? I'd have
thought there'd be very little meat on even a brace.

I'll ask at our game dealer tomorrow.

Mary

Old 31-05-2008, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| The hawks might also 'deal with' birds you don't want to harm ...

That's nature for you.

| We eat a lot of wood pigeon, and have never found it coarse and dry. Perhaps
| it depends on how it's prepared and cooked? some people rave about peacock,
| I wouldn't bother with it :-)

Yes, it depends a lot. It's grilling and roasting that is the problem,
especially with older birds.

| Where can I buy collar dove to try it? It's not game, is it? I'd have
| thought there'd be very little meat on even a brace.

Dunno. I shot them. It has about as much to eat as a small partridge,
and a lot more than a quail.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

| We eat a lot of wood pigeon, and have never found it coarse and dry.
Perhaps
| it depends on how it's prepared and cooked? some people rave about
peacock,
| I wouldn't bother with it :-)

Yes, it depends a lot. It's grilling and roasting that is the problem,
especially with older birds.

I never grill or roast pigeon, it uses too much power.

| Where can I buy collar dove to try it? It's not game, is it? I'd have
| thought there'd be very little meat on even a brace.

Dunno. I shot them. It has about as much to eat as a small partridge,
and a lot more than a quail.

I asked our game dealer this morning, he said that he doesn't sell them
because they've been protected for a few years. I can't find any information
on that except in Northern Ireland. Seems a bit odd ....

Mary

Old 01-06-2008, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| | Where can I buy collar dove to try it? It's not game, is it? I'd have
| | thought there'd be very little meat on even a brace.
|
| Dunno. I shot them. It has about as much to eat as a small partridge,
| and a lot more than a quail.
|
| I asked our game dealer this morning, he said that he doesn't sell them
| because they've been protected for a few years. I can't find any information
| on that except in Northern Ireland. Seems a bit odd ....

Bloody twitcher propaganda, lies and finger into the legislation,
again!

No, they are not protected, any more than wood pigeons are - and they
AREN'T in decline in the UK, according to the official figures - and
they weren't selected out for increased protection.

However, it is illegal to sell them, at any time, as it is for all
of the 'pest' species except wood pigeons.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" writes:

| | Where can I buy collar dove to try it? It's not game, is it? I'd
have
| | thought there'd be very little meat on even a brace.
|
| Dunno. I shot them. It has about as much to eat as a small
partridge,
| and a lot more than a quail.
|
| I asked our game dealer this morning, he said that he doesn't sell them
| because they've been protected for a few years. I can't find any
information
| on that except in Northern Ireland. Seems a bit odd ....

Bloody twitcher propaganda, lies and finger into the legislation,
again!

That was an unnecessarily bad mannered comment, you don't know the man.

No, they are not protected, any more than wood pigeons are - and they
AREN'T in decline in the UK, according to the official figures -

He didn't claim that they were in decline.

However, it is illegal to sell them, at any time, as it is for all
of the 'pest' species except wood pigeons.

That could be what he meant, in fact he did say that he couldn't display
them. There was a queue.

Mary

Old 01-06-2008, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| Bloody twitcher propaganda, lies and finger into the legislation,
| again!
|
| That was an unnecessarily bad mannered comment, you don't know the man.

I wasn't referring to him - he was a victim of it. There is so much
systematic misinformation on this matter that it is hard to believe
any other explanation than a loose conspiracy to deceive.

| No, they are not protected, any more than wood pigeons are - and they
| AREN'T in decline in the UK, according to the official figures -
|
| He didn't claim that they were in decline.

Someone else in this thread did.

| However, it is illegal to sell them, at any time, as it is for all
| of the 'pest' species except wood pigeons.
|
| That could be what he meant, in fact he did say that he couldn't display
| them. There was a queue.

Ah. Actually, he would be breaking the law even if he sold them.
But, in the right area, and with selected customers, that would be
fairly safe.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" writes:

| Bloody twitcher propaganda, lies and finger into the legislation,
| again!
|
| That was an unnecessarily bad mannered comment, you don't know the man.

I wasn't referring to him - he was a victim of it. There is so much
systematic misinformation on this matter that it is hard to believe
any other explanation than a loose conspiracy to deceive.

| No, they are not protected, any more than wood pigeons are - and they
| AREN'T in decline in the UK, according to the official figures -
|
| He didn't claim that they were in decline.

Someone else in this thread did.

| However, it is illegal to sell them, at any time, as it is for all
| of the 'pest' species except wood pigeons.
|
| That could be what he meant, in fact he did say that he couldn't
display
| them. There was a queue.

Ah. Actually, he would be breaking the law even if he sold them.

He doesn't.

The queue demanded his time, I couldn't expect him to go into more details.

Mary

Old 01-06-2008, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Peter James wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:

snipped

So I repeat, what's the problem with collar doves and pigeons?

Mary

Those members of the anti collar doves brigade can take comfort that,
according to the RSPB, they are on a decline in the UK and Europe.
Pigeons, on the ther hand, show every sign of rude health.

Peter

Whoops, my mistake. Wrong dove. Quote from RSPB site
" Its relative, the turtle dove Streptopelia turtur, is in rapid
decline, having decreased by at least 77%1 in 30 years"
Sorry about that.

Peter