Old 09-09-2008, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ivy shredded

Can I shred Ivy and put it in the compost? I mean is it likely to grow
again from little bits like ground elder?
I've been down the tip with six estate carloads so far! There's masses,
making the hawthorns at the bottom of the garden,top heavy.

It's coming in from the people at the rear of the house, who use the end
of their garden as a dump. (You couldn't call it a compost heap)

If I can shred it to oblivion i can at least turn it into something
useful

I did get an estimate from someone recommended as reasonable, to put up
a 40 foot x 4ft high chain link fence so I can train the hedge through
yet perhaps chop then ivy off as soon as I see it AND keep the dogs in
safely. His estimate was for £700 (reckons 2 guys for three days) so I'm
possibly going to have a go at some 'boundary improvements' myself..

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 09-09-2008, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet Tweedy writes:

| Can I shred Ivy and put it in the compost? I mean is it likely to grow
| again from little bits like ground elder?

Yes and no. But, in my experience, ground elder doesn't regrow in
a compost heap.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Janet Tweedy writes
Can I shred Ivy and put it in the compost? I mean is it likely to grow
again from little bits like ground elder?

Not in my experience. But it's not quick to rot down, so best to chop it
into 4 inch lengths so the partially rotted stems don't get entangled in
your shovel in a year's time

--
Kay
Old 09-09-2008, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Janet Tweedy writes:

| Can I shred Ivy and put it in the compost? I mean is it likely to grow
| again from little bits like ground elder?

Yes and no. But, in my experience, ground elder doesn't regrow in
a compost heap.

Coo, mine did!! It grew out of the sides and the top and when I used
the compost little bits sprouted .

Janet
Old 09-09-2008, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

| Can I shred Ivy and put it in the compost? I mean is it likely to grow
| again from little bits like ground elder?

Yes and no. But, in my experience, ground elder doesn't regrow in
a compost heap.

Coo, mine did!! It grew out of the sides and the top and when I used the
compost little bits sprouted .

Janet

Pictures four and five http://www.myalbum.com/Album=OQFDHPQP

Kind regards from a non gardener

Old 09-09-2008, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote:

: I did get an estimate from someone recommended as reasonable, to put
: up a 40 foot x 4ft high chain link fence so I can train the hedge
: through yet perhaps chop then ivy off as soon as I see it AND keep
: the dogs in safely. His estimate was for £700 (reckons 2 guys for
: three days)

I've put chain link fencing up for work (well taken old stuff down and put
new up). You could get the fence for less than £100 and 2 men could do it in
a morning. Although you need the posts as well, say another £30 for the
steel and one man would take a morning cutting, drilling, painting and
concreting them in.

--
Steve

Old 09-09-2008, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Steve Turner" contains these words:

I've put chain link fencing up for work (well taken old stuff down and put
new up). You could get the fence for less than £100 and 2 men could do
it in
a morning. Although you need the posts as well, say another £30 for the
steel and one man would take a morning cutting, drilling, painting and
concreting them in.

I use old scaffold poles (or sections thereof!) for fence poles.
Generally, I dig a hole, about two feet diameter, tonk the pole into the
middle and pack (with a rammer) rubble round it, then pour in sloshy
concrete.

When the concrete's nearly set, I twist the pole so that the concrete
doesn't adhere, and it can be pulled out later if required.

It is important to have the pole protruding through the bottom of the
'lump', as water will drain through and rusting won't happen so quickly.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 09-09-2008, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote:

Can I shred Ivy and put it in the compost?

Absolutely - great stuff.

I mean is it likely to grow again from little bits like ground elder?

No.

I've been down the tip with six estate carloads so far!

Such a shame!

There's masses, making the hawthorns at the bottom of the garden,top heavy.

I pulled down a similarly vast amount (when un-shredded) from some trees
in my garden a few weeks ago. Combined with a large amount of grass,
and smaller amounts of elder, ash and various other shredded prunings,
it's got a new heap off to a great start.

I think ivy is my new favourite thing to shred. You get masses of it,
it comes in handy long branches letting it get drawn into the shredder,
and even two inch thick 'woody' stems are soft enough not to trouble the
shredder.

Felt a bit guilty ripping down all the ivy, just starting to produce
berries for the birds over winter, but there's masses more I didn't get,
and there's so much more light getting to the beds below now. For that
matter, two of the trees it was growing through were hawthorn and elder
and I don't think there will be a shortage of berries this year.

Turned the new heap for the third time this weekend, and already I
didn't recognise anything in it as being ivy.

Regards,

Peter
Old 10-09-2008, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , K
writes
Janet Tweedy writes
Can I shred Ivy and put it in the compost? I mean is it likely to grow
again from little bits like ground elder?

Not in my experience. But it's not quick to rot down, so best to chop
it into 4 inch lengths so the partially rotted stems don't get
entangled in your shovel in a year's time

No I was thinking of shredding it Kay. The trunks of the main stems are
too thick but I'll put them in the council tip.

Janet

Old 10-09-2008, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Steve
Turner writes
Janet Tweedy wrote:

: I did get an estimate from someone recommended as reasonable, to put
: up a 40 foot x 4ft high chain link fence so I can train the hedge
: through yet perhaps chop then ivy off as soon as I see it AND keep
: the dogs in safely. His estimate was for £700 (reckons 2 guys for
: three days)

I've put chain link fencing up for work (well taken old stuff down and put
new up). You could get the fence for less than £100 and 2 men could do it in
a morning. Although you need the posts as well, say another £30 for the
steel and one man would take a morning cutting, drilling, painting and
concreting them in.

Thanks Steve, it did seem ultra high so was thinking of getting another
quote.

Janet
Old 10-09-2008, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Rusty Hinge
2 writes

I use old scaffold poles (or sections thereof!) for fence poles.
Generally, I dig a hole, about two feet diameter, tonk the pole into the
middle and pack (with a rammer) rubble round it, then pour in sloshy
concrete.

When the concrete's nearly set, I twist the pole so that the concrete
doesn't adhere, and it can be pulled out later if required.

It is important to have the pole protruding through the bottom of the
'lump', as water will drain through and rusting won't happen so quickly.

Scaffolding poles i assume will come from the builders' merchant like
the gravel etc?

Janet
Old 10-09-2008, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Peter Robinson
writes
Janet Tweedy wrote:

Can I shred Ivy and put it in the compost?

Absolutely - great stuff.

I mean is it likely to grow again from little bits like ground elder?

No.

I've been down the tip with six estate carloads so far!

Such a shame!

You haven't see how much there it It's dangerously overloading a very
mature hawthorn tree, well 4 actually on the shared boundary at the
bottom of the garden. Have tried cutting it back by standing on a ladder
with a 12 foot cutter (wolf one) but the tree sways alarmingly as you
try to get a purchase on the stems.
I needed to put the stuff down the tip because i have 300 foot of
hawthorn cuttings from the hedge to shred as well as normal stuff as
want to clear it all as soon as I can ready for the new greenhouse! It's
not going in the same place but the paths need to be clear so we
dismantle the old house and put in the new Rhino one.)

I pulled down a similarly vast amount (when un-shredded) from some trees
in my garden a few weeks ago. Combined with a large amount of grass,
and smaller amounts of elder, ash and various other shredded prunings,
it's got a new heap off to a great start.

Oh then I'll compost the rest.
I was worried about the bits that have roots on as they travel along the
back of the garden and where the compost bin was before I've cleared it
all.

Turned the new heap for the third time this weekend, and already I
didn't recognise anything in it as being ivy.

Right - you've convince me Peter!
Old 10-09-2008, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Charlie
Pridham writes

Janet, Ivy is fine to shred and wont regrow but do be carefull its has no
seed heads on it as those will germinate beautifully! even the green ones
that are not ripe yet

They are the bits i took down the tip first thanks Charlie!
I intend to put in a climber or two instead of the ivy when I've got
everything cleared and the wire up. Once the four foot wire is in and
providing a safe fence from the dogs escaping to the back gardens, I'll
want to train something along to hide the bottom of the trees, the wire
and screen the back. Ordinary wire can get frayed, and broken over the
years and with the ivy there I couldn't see the holes/gaps in the hedge
but the dogs could find every tiny space unerringly.
i don't like them to be a nuisance to the neighbours.

Mind you the boys over the back regularly hit golf balls into the back
of the garden and I've chucked them all back now I've found them!
I had no idea so much soil exists in a two foot by 40 foot pile which
I've just had to riddle and cartload around the vegetable deep beds!

Janet
Old 10-09-2008, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/9/08 13:20, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Rusty Hinge
2 writes

I use old scaffold poles (or sections thereof!) for fence poles.
Generally, I dig a hole, about two feet diameter, tonk the pole into the
middle and pack (with a rammer) rubble round it, then pour in sloshy
concrete.

When the concrete's nearly set, I twist the pole so that the concrete
doesn't adhere, and it can be pulled out later if required.

It is important to have the pole protruding through the bottom of the
'lump', as water will drain through and rusting won't happen so quickly.

Scaffolding poles i assume will come from the builders' merchant like
the gravel etc?

Janet

Janet, a friend of ours swears by Freecycle for such things. I've never
tried it myself but it might be worth Googling in your area. I'm going to
look for old pram chassis!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
shredded tree leaves WARRENRN1 Gardening 17 03-12-2003 08:02 PM
High Salt - Shredded Fins ~ jan JJsPond.us Ponds 2 10-10-2003 10:22 PM
mulching with shredded bark - question Don Gardening 5 31-05-2003 04:44 PM