Old 14-09-2008, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default dismantling greenhouse what to do with it?

In article , Rusty Hinge
2 writes

I'm always willing to accept glass - but Bucks is a bit far to go, and
even further back, by public transport...

Especially with 28 large panes of hort. Glass
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 14-09-2008, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , beccabunga
writes

Does your town/county have a web forum? If so, it may be worth posting
it on that.

Oh yes, that's an idea.Amersham forum. thanks
Old 14-09-2008, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , K
writes

Freecycle is capable of a quick turnaround. The protocol states you
should pick up within a very short period, I think around 3 days, and
you can always say if your timescale is shorter than that. And you
don't have to give it to the first response, so you can go for the
person who sounds least likely to mess you around.

Please see other emails Kay re. not able to offer it on Freecycle
apparently!

Feel quite disgruntled...................
Old 14-09-2008, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sheila
writes

Agree re freecycle, just got rid of 4 bags of monbretia, and I was very
careful, and made sure they all had corms, and there were no weeds....

You need a medal for perseverance then if it's anything like my
freecycle group
Old 15-09-2008, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Freecycle is a bit of a pain to join!
I just want to advertise the glass etc but first I have had to
join yahoogroups, (good grief there's some right twerps on
some of those!) and then I have had to APPLY with information
about myself AND to justify why I wish to join!

I joined Freecyclence, without too much bother. Of a dozen or so
items I advertised, only about two were actually taken, but I
did get a couple of very useful things from it.

However I came out of it because I was sickened by the fact that
there were 50% more people posting 'WANTED' than posting
'OFFER', and some of the wants were just sheer greed - people
asking for specific models of cars with current MOTs,
three-piece suites which must be black leather in good
condition, washer-driers, fridge-freezers, HD TVs, DVD players
and all sorts of expensive items in spite of the ground rules
saying that expensive items should not be asked for.

A friend has just been trying to give away an old
aluminium-framed greenhouse. Apparently the type of glass used
in old greenhouses is no longer legal. He had someone
interested, but this chap changed his mind, and eventually the
greenhouse went to the tip. The glass can't even be put in among
the bottles for recycling, it has to go to landfill.

Not a happy story.

Old 15-09-2008, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

Back to the idea of Cat's wine. Put it outside the gate in a box saying
"free to a good home". If you have a pile of old newspapers placed beside
it so people can wrap it too, so much the better. I did something similar
with unwanted cartridges of ink for a defunct printer. They disappeared
pretty quickly!

Not so sure about 6' x 3 foot panes of glass
Old 15-09-2008, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Janet Tweedy writes
In article , K
writes

Freecycle is capable of a quick turnaround. The protocol states you
should pick up within a very short period, I think around 3 days, and
you can always say if your timescale is shorter than that. And you
don't have to give it to the first response, so you can go for the
person who sounds least likely to mess you around.

Please see other emails Kay re. not able to offer it on Freecycle
apparently!

Feel quite disgruntled...................

Well, don't tell us, tell them! They need to know if their process is
putting off new members.

Share all your grumbles about yahoo, but once I got on to Yahoo, getting
registered on to all three of our relatively local freecycles was
simple. And of course, once you've done it, you don't have to do it
again.

Lots of people on freecycle are interested in plants, you know ;-)
--
Kay
Old 15-09-2008, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Mary Fisher
writes

"Granity" wrote in message

Janet Tweedy;815651 Wrote:

I have the same problem, but next month, I think I shall put a card in
the village shop window and see if anyone wants it.

Where are you?

Janet's too far away.

Mary

Could I post it Mary?

At your expense, of course :-)

Mary

Old 15-09-2008, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/9/08 17:20, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 17:06:34 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 15/9/08 15:32, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 23:46:07 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 14/9/08 22:51, in article
, "Janet
Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Sheila
writes

Agree re freecycle, just got rid of 4 bags of monbretia, and I was very
careful, and made sure they all had corms, and there were no weeds....

You need a medal for perseverance then if it's anything like my
freecycle group

Back to the idea of Cat's wine. Put it outside the gate in a box saying
"free to a good home". If you have a pile of old newspapers placed beside
it so people can wrap it too, so much the better. I did something similar
with unwanted cartridges of ink for a defunct printer. They disappeared
pretty quickly!

and a totally worn out dishwasher put outside the house at 5 a.m. shortly
before
we went on holiday. It had gone by 05:05. The heavy rubbish day truck wasn't
due
until 10:00.

Bob Flowerdew must have been holidaying in your area. ;-))

Shortly afterwards the residents of the local trailer park were banned from
collecting scrap metal.

How annoying! Sounds like a perfect arrangement as long as they don't keep
hold of it for ever and a day!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 15-09-2008, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 17:34:02 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 15/9/08 17:20, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 17:06:34 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 15/9/08 15:32, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 23:46:07 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 14/9/08 22:51, in article
, "Janet
Tweedy"
wrote:

[...]

Before they charge us to collect heavy rubbish all we had to do was put it
out
on rubbish day. The trailer park scrap merchants took everything.
Next it was formalised.
The trailer park guys were banned and we were charged.
Then it was phone to have stuff collected
Then it was limited to items not longer than one metre on any dimension.
Then it was find somebody's unattended skip and dump it there or take it
to the
rubbish sorting place and give it to them.
--

Our rubbish dump, sorry council recycling centre, has just had a whole array
of fancy movement detectors and security cameras installed. Must have cost

Mike

Old 15-09-2008, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:
In article , Rusty Hinge
2 writes

I'm always willing to accept glass - but Bucks is a bit far to go, and
even further back, by public transport...

Especially with 28 large panes of hort. Glass

Quite. Bringing back a six-foot container-grown apple tree, a grape
(Boskoop's Glory, a whitecurrant and a Chinese Goosegog on the bus today
was bad enough.

Staggering on amongst the purchases, I said: "Burnham Wood has come to
Dunsinane!" and was pleased how many seemed to get the allusion...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Alton Greenhouse dismantling advice Tractorboy United Kingdom 15 05-06-2011 04:44 PM
Green House dismantling mark United Kingdom 19 07-09-2009 12:57 PM
Dismantling old greenhouse. Where to start? JBB United Kingdom 7 03-06-2004 02:05 AM
greenhouse frogs Dave Lockwood Orchids 4 01-04-2003 05:20 PM
Central Illinois Retail Greenhouse, Garden Center, and Nursery Business - For Sale by Owner Eades Greenhouse and Nursery Gardening 0 03-02-2003 09:15 PM