Old 04-09-2009, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Green House dismantling

I've been offered an aluminium green house, 6ft by 8ft.
No charge but I have to dismantle/re-erect it.

I've no experience of such an operation and I can't just remove the glass
and carry the frame as I'm 4 miles away.

Should I go for it or will it be more hassle than it's worth?

mark

Old 04-09-2009, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...
I've been offered an aluminium green house, 6ft by 8ft.
No charge but I have to dismantle/re-erect it.

I've no experience of such an operation and I can't just remove the glass
and carry the frame as I'm 4 miles away.

Should I go for it or will it be more hassle than it's worth?

mark

Go for it.

Take photographs of it erected and at every stage of dismantle.

Stand the glass up against something firm and square as you take the sheets
out.

Photo as you go.

Don't bother if the nuts and bolts sheer, these are available in Garden
Centres as are the clips for the glass.

Your only problem is transporting the long lengths of the Greenhouse which
will be 8 ft long. Roof rack yes with care.

If it is old and on a metal base, it may have rusted away, in which case
build a brick plinth of two courses above ground level and re-erect on that
screwing it down through the bottom of the frame.

Been there, done that, worked a treat.

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 04-09-2009, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mark wrote:
I've been offered an aluminium green house, 6ft by 8ft.
No charge but I have to dismantle/re-erect it.

I've no experience of such an operation and I can't just remove the glass
and carry the frame as I'm 4 miles away.

Should I go for it or will it be more hassle than it's worth?

mark

Go for it, you'll need a car, preferably an estate or hatch back with a
flat area you can lay the glass on, interleaved with newspaper. A step
ladder, a screwdriver, pliers, adjustable spanner and a stout pair of
gloves to handle the glass . Have a person with you to lighten the
work, to provide reassurance and instill confidence :-) . Remove W & Z
clips off the roof removing glass as you go working methodicaly
downwards to the floor. The frame can easily be dismantled after
removing the glass.
You will probably need to replace the clips as I did with stainless
steel clips and rubber seals, some glass will inevitably crack which you
will also have to replace ( I lost 2).
I purchased my new clips, alu bolts/nuts and new rubber seals from PLC
Products, Westhall, Halesworth, Suffolk. Don't know if they still are in
existence but they were a lot cheaper than our local Nursery.
Once you make a start you'll find it easy.
Cheers & good luck
Don

--
Bold is Brown with the People's Purse.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 08:31:24 +0100, "mark"
wrote:

I've been offered an aluminium green house, 6ft by 8ft.
No charge but I have to dismantle/re-erect it.

I've no experience of such an operation and I can't just remove the glass
and carry the frame as I'm 4 miles away.

Should I go for it or will it be more hassle than it's worth?

I've done this a couple of times and it's not too onerous.

Break it down into large sections if you can, don't need to strip it
down to individual parts. Any joints you do take apart can be
numbered with a felt pen so that you can find your way back again.
Perhaps make a pencil sketch before you start. Good luck,
Getting the glass out and back in is the hard part and you will almost
certainly need some new sealing strips for the glass.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹
Old 04-09-2009, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 08:31:24 +0100, mark
wrote:

I've been offered an aluminium green house, 6ft by 8ft.
No charge but I have to dismantle/re-erect it.

I've no experience of such an operation and I can't just remove the
glass
and carry the frame as I'm 4 miles away.

Should I go for it or will it be more hassle than it's worth?

mark

It really shouldn't be too difficult to dismantle. We recently assembled
one ourselves. The frame is bolted together but made up of relatively
small pieces. The glass or plastic glazing on ours is just held in by
small spring clips. YOu might want to take photos before you start to see
where all bits go, or number them somehow.

Best of luck

--
Lizzie

Old 04-09-2009, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 08:42:18 +0100, 'Mike'
wrote:
"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...
I've been offered an aluminium green house, 6ft by 8ft.
No charge but I have to dismantle/re-erect it.

I've no experience of such an operation and I can't just remove the
glass
and carry the frame as I'm 4 miles away.

Should I go for it or will it be more hassle than it's worth?

mark

Go for it.

Take photographs of it erected and at every stage of dismantle.

snip a much better explanation than mine

--
Lizzie
Old 04-09-2009, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 4, 8:31*am, "mark" wrote:

Might I just suggest that you practice a bit with the glass holding
spring clips. It helps if you are confidendent handling these
particularly if they have been in place for some time.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
I've been offered an aluminium green house, 6ft by 8ft.
No charge but I have to dismantle/re-erect it.

I've no experience of such an operation and I can't just remove the
glass
and carry the frame as I'm 4 miles away.

Should I go for it or will it be more hassle than it's worth?

mark
[/i][/color]

Go for it.

Take photographs of it erected and at every stage of dismantle.
[/i][/color]
And don't forget a couple of 10mm spanners
Old 04-09-2009, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"moghouse" wrote in message
On Sep 4, 8:31 am, "mark" wrote:

Might I just suggest that you practice a bit with the glass holding
spring clips. It helps if you are confidendent handling these
particularly if they have been in place for some time.

My usual caveat - ensure the new base is square and level (:-)

Have fun !
Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 04-09-2009, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mark wrote:
I've been offered an aluminium green house, 6ft by 8ft.
No charge but I have to dismantle/re-erect it.

I've no experience of such an operation and I can't just remove the glass
and carry the frame as I'm 4 miles away.

Should I go for it or will it be more hassle than it's worth?

mark

Can be done but remember that old glass is often very brittle. I would be
most surprised if you didn't crack a pane or two when removing the spring
clips. I'm not much on 'elf&safety usually, but I'd definitely use safety
glasses when removing those clips, as splinters of glass tend to break off
and fly all over the place.

--
Jeff

Old 04-09-2009, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 12:39:15 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

mark wrote:
I've been offered an aluminium green house, 6ft by 8ft.
No charge but I have to dismantle/re-erect it.

I've no experience of such an operation and I can't just remove the
glass
and carry the frame as I'm 4 miles away.

Should I go for it or will it be more hassle than it's worth?

mark

Can be done but remember that old glass is often very brittle. I would be
most surprised if you didn't crack a pane or two when removing the spring
clips. I'm not much on 'elf&safety usually, but I'd definitely use
safety
glasses when removing those clips, as splinters of glass tend to break
off
and fly all over the place.

The spring clips can be pretty deadly too when they fly off.

--
Lizzie
'Pretentious, moi?'
Old 04-09-2009, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 4 Sep, 10:58, Granity wrote:
I've been offered an aluminium green house, 6ft by 8ft.
No charge but I have to dismantle/re-erect it.

I've no experience of such an operation and *I can't just remove the

glass
and carry the frame as I'm 4 miles away.

Should I go for it or will it be more hassle than it's worth?

mark

Go for it.

Take photographs of it erected and at every stage of dismantle.
[/i][/color]

And don't forget a couple of 10mm spanners

--
Granity- Hide quoted text -

I think almost everything has been said, You can leave the sides and
enda sa units, the roof bars will have to come off individualy, as
wqill the door and ridge piece.
Take pictures of the Joints so you see them close up.
Good luck and Enjoy.
David Hill
Old 04-09-2009, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...
I've been offered an aluminium green house, 6ft by 8ft.
No charge but I have to dismantle/re-erect it.

I've no experience of such an operation and I can't just remove the glass
and carry the frame as I'm 4 miles away.

Should I go for it or will it be more hassle than it's worth?

mark

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice. I'm going to go for it if I
can.
A friend is moving to the property which has the greenhouse. That will be
this weekend.
She's not sure if owner will be leaving greenhouse or giving it away.
However it still there at the time of writing.

mark

Old 04-09-2009, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mark wrote:
"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...
I've been offered an aluminium green house, 6ft by 8ft.
No charge but I have to dismantle/re-erect it.

I've no experience of such an operation and I can't just remove the
glass and carry the frame as I'm 4 miles away.

Should I go for it or will it be more hassle than it's worth?

mark

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice. I'm going to go for it
if I can.
A friend is moving to the property which has the greenhouse. That
will be this weekend.
She's not sure if owner will be leaving greenhouse or giving it away.
However it still there at the time of writing.

mark

Don't forget to report back
--
Pete C