Old 28-10-2008, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default a bit (OT) reading this newsgroup

On 28 Oct, 03:53, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Janet" wrote in message
I can get a new email address/server etc but using Thunderbird

I would warn you to be very concerned about using Thunderbird.

Oh bother, to say the least. I was only using it to access emails
separately on the laptop. Maybe I'll use soething lese but how you
would swt up Turnpike to accept emails and news etc other than demon,
I'll never know!
Besides Turnpike will only work on 1 machine unless you buy the
network one, I need Turnpike (which actaully, bless its little cotton
socks) is a brilliant no frills program generally.

Thanks for all the suggestions, not sure that zen and virgin are
newsservers?

Old 28-10-2008, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Janet writes
"Janet" wrote in message
I can get a new email address/server etc but using Thunderbird

I would warn you to be very concerned about using Thunderbird.

Oh bother, to say the least. I was only using it to access emails
separately on the laptop. Maybe I'll use soething lese but how you
would swt up Turnpike to accept emails and news etc other than demon,
I'll never know!
Besides Turnpike will only work on 1 machine unless you buy the
network one, I need Turnpike (which actaully, bless its little cotton
socks) is a brilliant no frills program generally.

Thanks for all the suggestions, not sure that zen and virgin are
newsservers?

I agree about Turnpike, which is why I was delighted to find that it
works perfectly with Zen. All my E-mails, posts etc. managed by TP. The
only difference is that I'm no longer driven mad by Demon. Perfect ...
except it's a couple of pounds more (but that's by choice and includes
VOIP and domain etc.). I couldn't recommend it more highly.
--
Tom W.
Deepest Dorset
Old 28-10-2008, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Janet contains these words:

Oh bother, to say the least. I was only using it to access emails
separately on the laptop. Maybe I'll use soething lese but how you
would swt up Turnpike to accept emails and news etc other than demon,
I'll never know!

Someone from Demon will be along to tell you in a minute. To be sure,
I've crossposted this to The Shed, where there are some eDominets
lurking.

Besides Turnpike will only work on 1 machine unless you buy the
network one, I need Turnpike (which actaully, bless its little cotton
socks) is a brilliant no frills program generally.

Well, there's nothing much the matter with Thunderbird - it's first and
foremost a mail program though. It's no more susceptible to nasties than
most other programs.

Thanks for all the suggestions, not sure that zen and virgin are
newsservers?

Virgin is an ISP but has its own news-server, and I think this goes for
Zen too.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 28-10-2008, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/10/08 17:30, in article , "Tom
Withycombe" wrote:

In message
,
Janet writes
"Janet" wrote in message
[...]

Another who has achieved a higher form of consciousness, eh? ;-)) Zen is
excellent.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 28-10-2008, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Janet wrote
"Janet" wrote in message
I can get a new email address/server etc but using Thunderbird

I would warn you to be very concerned about using Thunderbird.

Oh bother, to say the least. I was only using it to access emails
separately on the laptop. Maybe I'll use soething lese but how you
would swt up Turnpike to accept emails and news etc other than demon,
I'll never know!
Besides Turnpike will only work on 1 machine unless you buy the
network one, I need Turnpike (which actaully, bless its little cotton
socks) is a brilliant no frills program generally.

Thanks for all the suggestions, not sure that zen and virgin are
newsservers?

I have universal licence copy of turnpike and it has worked with every
ISP I used. Its currently being used for this post using Freedom2Surf
servers and also configured for my two backup (pay as you go dial-up)
ISPs.

Turnpike universal licence was around £25 when I purchased it,
unfortunately it's now £199

BTW, I was with Demon for around 8 years until 2000 and left because of
their ongoing usenet server problems. Although having changed ISPs again
since then I found the Usenet servers from Freeserve, Claranet and now
F2S(Giga-news) far superior to the service from Demon. I wouldn't
recommend my current ISP (F2S) as it's been bought out since I joined
and the service isn't as good as it was 6 months ago.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 28-10-2008, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Alan
writes
In message
,
Janet wrote
"Janet" wrote in message
I can get a new email address/server etc but using Thunderbird

I would warn you to be very concerned about using Thunderbird.

Oh bother, to say the least. I was only using it to access emails
separately on the laptop.

I don't think there is anything especially to worry about using
Thunderbird.

Maybe I'll use soething lese but how you
would swt up Turnpike to accept emails and news etc other than demon,
I'll never know!
Besides Turnpike will only work on 1 machine unless you buy the
network one,

That's not correct. You can use Turnpike with one 'seat' on a network,
but only one copy can be accessing the database at anyone time. however
things have changed with 6.07

I need Turnpike (which actaully, bless its little cotton
socks) is a brilliant no frills program generally.

I have universal licence copy of turnpike and it has worked with every
ISP I used. Its currently being used for this post using Freedom2Surf
servers and also configured for my two backup (pay as you go dial-up)
ISPs.

Turnpike universal licence was around £25 when I purchased it,
unfortunately it's now £199

Yep, if you don't already have a Universal licence, then it's pretty
much priced out of the home user now. However, along with the change in
pricing with Turnpike 6.07, you don't need to buy extra 'seats' for
multiple concurrent users. A Universal licence now covers you for upto
254 users. So if you already have a Universal licence you are better off
now

--
Chris French

Old 29-10-2008, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Alan
writes
In message
,
Janet wrote
"Janet" wrote in message
[...]

I blv that OP had been with Demon for some years. If, like me, she had
got TP originally with the Demon Suite and upgraded it as far as TP6.05
(but no further), I believe it possible that she has a universal version
automatically. Easily checked by opening Connect - Help - About.
--
Tom W.
Deepest Dorset

Old 31-10-2008, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "AriesVal" typed:
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 15:55:33 -0700 (PDT), Janet wrote:

Question:
I can get a new email address/server etc but using Thunderbird what
usenet server should i use? Most will allow you to read but not
post.

What do others use ? (other than those bound up with OE or dreadful
things such as AOL

My back ups to NIN a Motzarella, Albasini, and PlusNet (my isp)and
there's another one but only allows you 25 posts per day. Still
useful as a backup tho.
http://news.aioe.org/

.... and I've seen nobody mention x-privat.org, a free news server I use
sometimes. It has a limit of 10MB a day, an absolutely huge amount for
text-only newsgroups.
--
Shaun.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I uses virgin as my ISP (they have had some news and mail problems) as the
cable connection is flawless.

I use hotmail (plus) for email - 15 quid a year
I use individual.net for news - about the same

I can say I reccomend both to you, regardless of your isp