Old 27-10-2008, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default a bit (OT) reading this newsgroup

Help, from all of us on Demon. Since september we have been unable to
get on to this newsgroup via Demon servers. They are continously
unavailable to us and 'apparently' in the porcess of being fixed. They
were ideally asccessed via Turtnike Demon's own software.

However someone has reported many ISPs are pulling their support of
groups, mainly becasue they take up too much bandwidth etc.

Question:
I can get a new email address/server etc but using Thunderbird what
usenet server should i use? Most will allow you to read but not
post.

What do others use ? (other than those bound up with OE or dreadful
things such as AOL

Janet
Old 27-10-2008, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
Help, from all of us on Demon. Since september we have been unable to
get on to this newsgroup via Demon servers. They are continously
unavailable to us and 'apparently' in the porcess of being fixed. They
were ideally asccessed via Turtnike Demon's own software.

However someone has reported many ISPs are pulling their support of
groups, mainly becasue they take up too much bandwidth etc.

Question:
I can get a new email address/server etc but using Thunderbird what
usenet server should i use? Most will allow you to read but not
post.

What do others use ? (other than those bound up with OE or dreadful
things such as AOL

Janet

We`re with Virgin - never had any trouble in all the years we`ve been with
them (touch wood!).

Pat

Old 27-10-2008, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/10/08 23:02, in article , "Pat P"
wrote:

"Janet" wrote in message
[...]

I'm very pleased with Zen. Their service and techie help is outstanding.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-10-2008, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
, Janet
writes
Help, from all of us on Demon. Since september we have been unable to
get on to this newsgroup via Demon servers. They are continously
unavailable to us and 'apparently' in the porcess of being fixed. They
were ideally asccessed via Turtnike Demon's own software.

However someone has reported many ISPs are pulling their support of
groups, mainly becasue they take up too much bandwidth etc.

Question:
I can get a new email address/server etc but using Thunderbird what
usenet server should i use? Most will allow you to read but not
post.

What do others use ? (other than those bound up with OE or dreadful
things such as AOL

Janet

For what it's worth I changed from Demon after14 or so years. W.e.f 01
April this year I switched to Zen and retained Turnpike (TP6.05U) which
works perfectly. I have an infinitely superior service with all the
newsgroups I used to enjoy.
--
Tom W.
Deepest Dorset
Old 27-10-2008, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

"Janet" wrote in message
Help, from all of us on Demon. Since september we have been unable to
get on to this newsgroup via Demon servers. They are continously
unavailable to us and 'apparently' in the porcess of being fixed. They
were ideally asccessed via Turtnike Demon's own software.

However someone has reported many ISPs are pulling their support of
groups, mainly becasue they take up too much bandwidth etc.

Question:
I can get a new email address/server etc but using Thunderbird what
usenet server should i use? Most will allow you to read but not
post.

What do others use ? (other than those bound up with OE or dreadful
things such as AOL

You can sign up for News.individual.net for 7 euros for a year. This gives
access to non-binary newsgroups

Or there is the abomination that is google 'groups'

Old 28-10-2008, 03:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message

I can get a new email address/server etc but using Thunderbird

I would warn you to be very concerned about using Thunderbird. I have been
getting emails withattchments containing viruses and whenever I have done a
'properties' check on them, I notice that all come from Thunderbird users.
I have some doubts that the Thunderbird users know they are sending out
viruses but my killfile has hundreds of Thunderbird users in it now.

Old 28-10-2008, 06:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet wrote:

Question:
I can get a new email address/server etc but using Thunderbird what
usenet server should i use?

My newsserver is nntp.aioe.org
It's a free, public newsserver, for text-only groups.

--
Sleepalot aa #1385

Old 28-10-2008, 07:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
Help, from all of us on Demon. Since september we have been unable to
get on to this newsgroup via Demon servers. They are continously
unavailable to us and 'apparently' in the porcess of being fixed. They
were ideally asccessed via Turtnike Demon's own software.

However someone has reported many ISPs are pulling their support of
groups, mainly becasue they take up too much bandwidth etc.

Question:
I can get a new email address/server etc but using Thunderbird what
usenet server should i use? Most will allow you to read but not
post.

What do others use ? (other than those bound up with OE or dreadful
things such as AOL

I use NIN 10 Euro a year and/or Motzarella which is free.

--
Chris.
Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus.

Old 28-10-2008, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , OG
writes

"Janet" wrote in message
Help, from all of us on Demon. Since september we have been unable to
get on to this newsgroup via Demon servers. They are continously
unavailable to us and 'apparently' in the porcess of being fixed. They
were ideally asccessed via Turtnike Demon's own software.

However someone has reported many ISPs are pulling their support of
groups, mainly becasue they take up too much bandwidth etc.

Question:
I can get a new email address/server etc but using Thunderbird what
usenet server should i use? Most will allow you to read but not
post.

What do others use ? (other than those bound up with OE or dreadful
things such as AOL

You can sign up for News.individual.net for 7 euros for a year. This
gives access to non-binary newsgroups

Yup, been using them for years on and off.

An alternative, is to sign up to one of Usenet services aimed primarily
at those who use binary groups. Sign up to one of the not time limited,
set amount of bandwidth for a fixed fee tariffs.

Eg, Astraweb web will do you 25GB for US$10 - for text groups only that
would last for many years.

http://www.news.astraweb.com/

I'm surprised Demon still has customers really, they long, long ago
ceased to be a decent ISP.
--
Chris French

Old 28-10-2008, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
Help, from all of us on Demon. Since september we have been unable to
get on to this newsgroup via Demon servers. They are continously
unavailable to us and 'apparently' in the porcess of being fixed. They
were ideally asccessed via Turtnike Demon's own software.

However someone has reported many ISPs are pulling their support of
groups, mainly becasue they take up too much bandwidth etc.

Question:
I can get a new email address/server etc but using Thunderbird what
usenet server should i use? Most will allow you to read but not
post.

What do others use ? (other than those bound up with OE or dreadful
things such as AOL

Janet

Use Virgin, no problems, excellent tech help.

Old 28-10-2008, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 11:19:40 GMT, "Sheila"
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

What do others use ? (other than those bound up with OE or dreadful
things such as AOL

Janet

Use Virgin, no problems,

What's the shelf life nowadays?

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²
Old 28-10-2008, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Janet contains these words:

Help, from all of us on Demon. Since september we have been unable to
get on to this newsgroup via Demon servers. They are continously
unavailable to us and 'apparently' in the porcess of being fixed. They
were ideally asccessed via Turtnike Demon's own software.

However someone has reported many ISPs are pulling their support of
groups, mainly becasue they take up too much bandwidth etc.

Question:
I can get a new email address/server etc but using Thunderbird what
usenet server should i use? Most will allow you to read but not
post.

What do others use ? (other than those bound up with OE or dreadful
things such as AOL

Well, I use ZIMACS and have access to Zetnet's servers. Unfortunately,
you couldn't access them unless you decamped to Zetnet.

But I would point out that the Zetservers are safe, because the Zetgods
(or at least, the Chief Zetgod), are/is a Usenet man.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 28-10-2008, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

FarmI wrote:
"Janet" wrote in message

I can get a new email address/server etc but using Thunderbird

I would warn you to be very concerned about using Thunderbird. I have been
getting emails withattchments containing viruses and whenever I have done a
'properties' check on them, I notice that all come from Thunderbird users.
I have some doubts that the Thunderbird users know they are sending out
viruses but my killfile has hundreds of Thunderbird users in it now.

There's nothing wrong with TB, it's no more prone to viruses than any
other MUA/newsreader, and of course it's much better then Outlook, but
then everything is. Having said that, TB isn't the greatest newsreadin
in the world. You might be able to enhance it with addons, but I've
never bothered to look.

I'm not daft enough to run everything as
Administrator/super-user/unlimited-user, so I don't have much of a
problem with viruses. Even so, I do run the free version of Avast, just
in case.
Old 28-10-2008, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sleepalot wrote:
Janet wrote:

Question:
I can get a new email address/server etc but using Thunderbird what
usenet server should i use?

My newsserver is nntp.aioe.org
It's a free, public newsserver, for text-only groups.

Yep, me too. It works fine, although it can sometimes slow down a bit.
But then, it's free so you don't expect an SLA.

I notice a lot of people have replied "I use XXX isp, so I use their
newsserver". Usually, if you're not a customer of XXX isp, then you
won't be able to use their newsservers.

Old 28-10-2008, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Ian Prideaux contains these words:

I notice a lot of people have replied "I use XXX isp, so I use their
newsserver". Usually, if you're not a customer of XXX isp, then you
won't be able to use their newsservers.

True, but as the OP sounded somewhat dischuffed with Demon, suggestions
of more reliable and user-friendly ISPs were in order, IMO

I've been with Zetnet now for about six months short of the time it's
been going - first as sysadmin for a business, and then on my own
account.

Must be twelve or thirteen years.

--
Rusty