Old 28-10-2008, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Late Night Gardening

Anyone know of any (cheap) lights I can get to continue gardening into the
dark?

I've a pretty large job on in my own garden and finishing at 4 on the
weekend isn't ideal

Any ideas? doesn;t need to be massive as i will be doing fairly boring stuff
like digging and shifting things around - I am thinking a small light like
they use to flootlight footy pitches!!

Old 29-10-2008, 12:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

"mo" wrote in message
Anyone know of any (cheap) lights I can get to continue gardening into the
dark?

I've a pretty large job on in my own garden and finishing at 4 on the
weekend isn't ideal

Any ideas? doesn;t need to be massive as i will be doing fairly boring
stuff like digging and shifting things around - I am thinking a small
light like they use to flootlight footy pitches!!

What about one of those LED head torches with rechargeable batteries? -
Kinder on your electricity bill and kinder on any astronomy-loving
neighbours.

Old 29-10-2008, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...&Submit=GO+%3E

Old 29-10-2008, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mo wrote:

Anyone know of any (cheap) lights I can get to continue gardening into the
dark?

I've a pretty large job on in my own garden and finishing at 4 on the
weekend isn't ideal

Any ideas? doesn;t need to be massive as i will be doing fairly boring stuff
like digging and shifting things around - I am thinking a small light like
they use to flootlight footy pitches!!

This seems absurdly cheap, though you will probably need more
cable. At 1 kW, it should keep you warm too:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/14558/...0W-Site-Light#

This is more expensive, but will use far less power:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/49932/...OCFFA?ts=68489

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 29-10-2008, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris J Dixon wrote:
mo wrote:

Anyone know of any (cheap) lights I can get to continue gardening into the
dark?

I've a pretty large job on in my own garden and finishing at 4 on the
weekend isn't ideal

Any ideas? doesn;t need to be massive as i will be doing fairly boring stuff
like digging and shifting things around - I am thinking a small light like
they use to flootlight footy pitches!!

This seems absurdly cheap, though you will probably need more
cable. At 1 kW, it should keep you warm too:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/14558/...0W-Site-Light#

This is more expensive, but will use far less power:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/49932/...OCFFA?ts=68489

Chris

Perhaps one of those led lights that fit on the head would be
sufficient, then the light would shine exactly where you were working.

Old 29-10-2008, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
This seems absurdly cheap, though you will probably need more
cable. At 1 kW, it should keep you warm too:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/14558/...0W-Site-Light#

I think I might go for this one over the other secuirty type lights as it
seems to be much brighter and has a stand

how much electricity will it use?

Old 30-10-2008, 07:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mo wrote:

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
This seems absurdly cheap, though you will probably need more
cable. At 1 kW, it should keep you warm too:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/14558/...0W-Site-Light#

I think I might go for this one over the other secuirty type lights as it
seems to be much brighter and has a stand

how much electricity will it use?

Well, as it is a 1 kW load, it will use one unit per hour.
Electricity cost varies between suppliers and areas, but will be
upwards of 10p per unit.

Chris

Old 30-10-2008, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mo wrote:

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
This seems absurdly cheap, though you will probably need more
cable. At 1 kW, it should keep you warm too:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/14558/...0W-Site-Light#

I think I might go for this one over the other secuirty type lights as it
seems to be much brighter and has a stand

how much electricity will it use?

Well, as it is a 1 kW load, it will use one unit per hour.
Electricity cost varies between suppliers and areas, but will be
upwards of 10p per unit.

Chris

Bit of an overkill on light I would say. With the stand being so short in
height, all it will do is make it very very bright in a 'smallish' area. Yes
it will light a lot of an area, but 2 x 500 watts is too much.

I would advise the OP to go and have a look at a small building site,
factory forecourt or factory security light and see just how much light
comes out from one 300 or 500 watt light.

If the OP can put the stand on a shed or flat roof of an outbuilding, then
it will spread more.

That fitting is more for standing on the road/pavement to shine into the
emergency hole in the road.

Mike

Old 30-10-2008, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 23:27:08 -0000, "mo" wrote:

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
This seems absurdly cheap, though you will probably need more
cable. At 1 kW, it should keep you warm too:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/14558/...0W-Site-Light#

I think I might go for this one over the other secuirty type lights as it
seems to be much brighter and has a stand

how much electricity will it use?

1KW
--

Martin

Which of course is ...... A Unit.

Mike

Old 30-10-2008, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I do have a flat roofed shed that i can put the light on - which is ideal

i guess it comes down to whether i need 1 500w light or 2.

Is the screfix £15 adjustable so you can have the lights facing slightly
outwards ?

Old 30-10-2008, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 16:46:09 -0000, "mo" wrote:

I do have a flat roofed shed that i can put the light on - which is ideal

i guess it comes down to whether i need 1 500w light or 2.

Is the screfix £15 adjustable so you can have the lights facing slightly
outwards ?

Mo, I have some experience with working under a floodlight in the
garden and I can tell you that it is positively dangerous. One of
these lights creates intense light and very dark shadows. If you work
with your back to it, your own shadow obscures anything that you are
doing and you could end up putting a fork through your foot - or
something equally painful.
You really need at least two lights, well spaced so that they fill in
each others' shadows. They do not need to be more than 300w each.
Old 30-10-2008, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message

Mo, I have some experience with working under a floodlight in the
garden and I can tell you that it is positively dangerous. One of
these lights creates intense light and very dark shadows. If you work
with your back to it, your own shadow obscures anything that you are
doing and you could end up putting a fork through your foot - or
something equally painful.
You really need at least two lights, well spaced so that they fill in
each others' shadows. They do not need to be more than 300w each.

Cheers

I wonder if the screwfix one with 2 lights allows the 2 lights to be
seperate

if not i might get 2 cheaper lights and place them at each end of the garden

i assume they are ok to run a couple off a normal extension?

Old 30-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Mike' View Post
"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
mo wrote:

"Chris J Dixon"
wrote in message
[...]

I can't imagine trying to do any kind of gardening in the dark. Whatever light you used, the colours would be weird, so you wouldn't be able to differentiate top soil from sub soil, or see details of, for example, plant roots in a hole if you are planning to move stuff. An evening's after -dark gardening could look like a bomb site the following day.
Old 30-10-2008, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "'Mike'" contains these words:
"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 23:27:08 -0000, "mo" wrote:

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
This seems absurdly cheap, though you will probably need more
cable. At 1 kW, it should keep you warm too:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/14558/...0W-Site-Light#

I think I might go for this one over the other secuirty type lights as it
seems to be much brighter and has a stand

how much electricity will it use?

1KW

Which of course is ...... A Unit.

Half a unit.