Old 07-11-2008, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Receiving this newsgroup (OT a bit)

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008, Janet Tweedy wrote
In article , chris
French writes

I've been using TP with multiple users for years and one multiple
machines on the home network for a quite a few of those now as well,
no need for any pigs to leave the ground

Blimey, we have phoned Demon on no end of occasions asking if we could
yet have a way of me seeing the downloaded mail in the mailboxes from
our laptop and my computer (all networked at home)
We've been told on each occasion that we can't. There's no way.

So how do you do it? We don't want to download mail on other machines
just read it and reply.

With the upgrade, does it overwrite anything? Do we need to save
addresses, mail etc.?

Janet

Hallo Janet and Tom - I am a lurker on this group (with a lemon tree
that has seen better days) but also a Demonite with Turnpike. The
upgrade to 6.07 is free and does not do anything scary, nor does it
upset your current settings or data as it is installed over the top of
your current one (always good to do a backup, of course...!).

Both of you have 'u' licences which means that you can use Turnpike with
other ISPs, and when you upgrade the 'u' turns automagically into a 'm'
which means you now have a multi-user licence and can do all the
networking. There are a couple of threads on demon.ip.support.turnpike
dealing with this.

The shocking £200 charge is only if you wish to upgrade an 's' licenced
Turnpike (which was the free one, usable only with Demon. Most of us
paid £15 or so for an upgrade a long time ago). This doesn't apply to
either of you.

Does this help? Colin will confirm, I dare say. Look on d.i.s.t. for
how to do it.

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot org dot uk if you
want to reply personally
Old 07-11-2008, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 7, 6:36 pm, Kate Brown wrote:
[...]

Kate, I was with Demon for many years and I was talking to a techie at
the hospital where I used to work, he is also on Demon. He says I can
still use the free Turnpike copy but I'm told, by some, that I can't,
can you shed any light on this?

Judith
Old 07-11-2008, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Kate Brown
writes

Does this help? Colin will confirm, I dare say. Look on d.i.s.t. for
how to do it.

Thanks Kate I'll give it a go.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 07-11-2008, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008, Judith in France wrote
[...]

Of course you can use it. Your licence is 'U' which means universal.
If you upgrade to 6.07 the licence changes all by itself to 'M' which
means Multiuser, and means that several computers can have access. I
believe this means that only one copy of Connect can run, but there can
be several Turnpike mail and newsbases - I don't use this myself so
others will have to advise. But I do use TP with several other ISP's
and there is no problem.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 7, 10:01 pm, Kate Brown wrote:
[...]

Thank you Kate, you have confirmed what I thought.

Judith

Old 08-11-2008, 12:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , chris
French writes

I've been using TP with multiple users for years and one multiple
machines on the home network for a quite a few of those now as well,
no need for any pigs to leave the ground

Blimey, we have phoned Demon on no end of occasions asking if we could
yet have a way of me seeing the downloaded mail in the mailboxes from
our laptop and my computer (all networked at home)
We've been told on each occasion that we can't. There's no way.

How strange - Demon support has gone downhill over the years :-( You
only needed to come and ask in dist. Anyway, it's all pretty easy
really.

So how do you do it? We don't want to download mail on other machines
just read it and reply.

With the upgrade, does it overwrite anything? Do we need to save
addresses, mail etc.?

OK, way OT, but what the heck, I don't suppose anyone but Turnpikees is
reading now anyway. The following instructions assume that you are happy
the machine which currently downloads email and news to continue to do
so. Obviously to view the emails/news it will have to be on when other
machines want to access it. I will refer to this machine as the 'SERVER'

OK, first download and upgrade the turnpike on the SERVER to TP 6.07,
this is painless. but it's always good practice to backup first - just
in case. Assuming you have a default install just copy the whole
Turnpike directory somewhere safe. The reason for upgrading to 6.07 is
that it will upgrade your licence to an M (with upto 254 users) so you
get concurrent access to the database for everyone.

After the install, check this still works ok.

On one of the remote machines, install Turnpike, you don't need to
install Connect so use the custom install option to just install
Turnpike. Once it has installed, hold down the shift key whilst starting
Turnpike (to make sure you get the login dialogue).

In the login dialogue use the 'paths' button to set the 'server' path.
Browse to the location where the turnpike database files are stored on
SERVER. The other paths will be set automatically.

Then login to Turnpike using your username and password if used.

You should now be viewing your email/news on the remote com;puter.

Assume all works ok, install on the other computer
--
Chris French

Old 08-11-2008, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , chris French
writes

OK, way OT, but what the heck, I don't suppose anyone but Turnpikees is
reading now anyway. The following instructions assume that you are
happy the machine which currently downloads email and news to continue
to do so.

,,,,,,,,Snip

Then login to Turnpike using your username and password if used.

You should now be viewing your email/news on the remote com;puter.

Assume all works ok, install on the other computer

Wow, thanks Chris seems fairly painfree when you describe it. I'll go
and sort it out this afternoon.

Hurrah!!

Janet
Old 08-11-2008, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes

Wow, thanks Chris seems fairly painfree when you describe it. I'll go
and sort it out this afternoon.

If you get stuck you knpw where dist is :-)
--
Chris French

Old 09-11-2008, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Receiving this newsgroup

In message , chris French
writes
In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , David Rance
writes

I have. And you saw me there!

Oh no. It was demon.ip.support.turnpike where you wrote to me! ;-)

David

And now accessing the support groups i learn have to download
Turnpike 6.... whatever the blessed thing is in order to (supposedly)
enable me to use the software on our other machines.

No, you can use the current version, the advantage of upgrading to 6.07
(which is painless upgrade, mostly it was to fix TP to work on vista)
is that you get an automatic upgraded to an upto 254 users 'M' licence
which means that you can have multiple users accessing the turnpike
database at the same time. If you currently only have one 'seat' then
only one user can run TP at a time

Ha, was that a pig just went passed the upstairs window?

I've been using TP with multiple users for years and one multiple
machines on the home network for a quite a few of those now as well, no
need for any pigs to leave the ground

Me too -since Windows for Workgroups days. After 40 years in IT I can
honestly say Turnpike is one of, if not the most reliable piece of
software I've ever come across. Every upgrade I've done from Version 1
onwards has gone without a hitch - just follow the (simple) procedure
laid down in the User Guide.
--
hugh
Old 09-11-2008, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , chris
French writes

I've been using TP with multiple users for years and one multiple
machines on the home network for a quite a few of those now as well,
no need for any pigs to leave the ground

Blimey, we have phoned Demon on no end of occasions asking if we could
yet have a way of me seeing the downloaded mail in the mailboxes from
our laptop and my computer (all networked at home)
We've been told on each occasion that we can't. There's no way.

So how do you do it? We don't want to download mail on other machines
just read it and reply.

With the upgrade, does it overwrite anything? Do we need to save
addresses, mail etc.?

Janet

On an upgrade all your mail/news/personal data is saved. It is
advantageous to distinguish between the quality of the Turnpike product
and the poor quality of support from Demon Help desk.

Setting up TP on a network is easy. To save my fingers, can I suggest
you have a look in the quick start guide or the full User Guide. If you
have any problems ask in demon.ip.support.turnpike.

You only download mail from one machine. You as a user can access your
mail from any machine on the network. Mail/News database is held on one
machine.
--
hugh

Old 09-11-2008, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Gordon H
writes
In message , Stephen
Wolstenholme writes
Demon's replacement news service has gone live. It's brilliantly fast.
I use nearly 250 groups and it only took a few seconds to update them.

Steve

It's the dog's b.......

And just when I thought I could get back to some gardening it's pouring
with rain :-(
--
hugh
Old 09-11-2008, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from hugh ] contains these words:
In message , Gordon H
writes
In message , Stephen
Wolstenholme writes

Demon's replacement news service has gone live. It's brilliantly fast.
I use nearly 250 groups and it only took a few seconds to update them.

Steve

It's the dog's b.......

And just when I thought I could get back to some gardening it's pouring
with rain :-(

No it's not! Lovely blue skies and blazing sun!

You've been naughty, and Odinn is angry with you innit.

Mine dew, I had to pick up my shed roof from round the garden this morning.

I wonder what I've done...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 09-11-2008, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 10:10:37 +0000, hugh ] wrote:

On an upgrade all your mail/news/personal data is saved.

Is there a mail tool that doesn't do this?

An impossible question to answer. I was merely responding to the
concerns of the other poster who is perhaps not as technically aware as
you.

--
hugh
Old 09-11-2008, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 9, 10:48 am, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 10:15:24 +0000, hugh ] wrote:
In message , Gordon H
writes
In message , Stephen
Wolstenholme writes
Demon's replacement news service has gone live. It's brilliantly fast.
I use nearly 250 groups and it only took a few seconds to update them.

Steve

It's the dog's b.......

And just when I thought I could get back to some gardening it's pouring
with rain :-(

Raining cats and dog's b.......?
--

Martin

Duh don't encourage him Martin, you have email.

Judith
Old 09-11-2008, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 9, 11:28 am, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
The message
from hugh ] contains these words:

In message , Gordon H
writes
In message , Stephen
Wolstenholme writes
Demon's replacement news service has gone live. It's brilliantly fast.
I use nearly 250 groups and it only took a few seconds to update them.

Steve

It's the dog's b.......

And just when I thought I could get back to some gardening it's pouring
with rain :-(

No it's not! Lovely blue skies and blazing sun!

You've been naughty, and Odinn is angry with you innit.

Mine dew, I had to pick up my shed roof from round the garden this morning.

I wonder what I've done...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Rusty sweetie, I have seeds etc for you. Email on way.

Judith