Old 09-11-2008, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Receiving this newsgroup

The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

Rusty sweetie, I have seeds etc for you. Email on way.

Emu received. Seeds not for me - try Mike Derby.

--
Rusty
Men love women, women love children, children love hamsters.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 9, 3:27 pm, Rusty Hinge wrote:
The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

Rusty sweetie, I have seeds etc for you. Email on way.

Emu received. Seeds not for me - try Mike Derby.

--
Rusty
Men love women, women love children, children love hamsters.
(Alice Thomas Ellis)

I got your email, thanks. I have Mike and some others already
prepared but I had a slight feeling you wanted some too, I told you
senility is creeping in.

Judith
Old 09-11-2008, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

I got your email, thanks. I have Mike and some others already
prepared but I had a slight feeling you wanted some too, I told you
senility is creeping in.

Well, not unless they're something other than the usual thornapple...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 09-11-2008, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , hugh
] writes
In message , Gordon H
writes
In message , Stephen
Wolstenholme writes
Demon's replacement news service has gone live. It's brilliantly fast.
I use nearly 250 groups and it only took a few seconds to update them.

Steve

It's the dog's b.......

And just when I thought I could get back to some gardening it's pouring
with rain :-(

That's a stroke of luck.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 09-11-2008, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Receiving this newsgroup (OT a bit)

In article , hugh
] writes
In message , Martin
writes
On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 10:10:37 +0000, hugh ] wrote:

On an upgrade all your mail/news/personal data is saved.

Is there a mail tool that doesn't do this?

An impossible question to answer. I was merely responding to the
concerns of the other poster who is perhaps not as technically aware as
you.

Actually on the very early upgrades you had to save addresses and mail
in folders and then move them over. However that may have been in
CompuServe!

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 10-11-2008, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , hugh
] writes
In message , Martin
writes
On Sun, 9 Nov 2008 10:10:37 +0000, hugh ] wrote:

On an upgrade all your mail/news/personal data is saved.

Is there a mail tool that doesn't do this?

An impossible question to answer. I was merely responding to the
concerns of the other poster who is perhaps not as technically aware
as you.

Actually on the very early upgrades you had to save addresses and mail
in folders and then move them over. However that may have been in
CompuServe!

Or you may be thinking of the procedure for moving TP to another
computer.

--
hugh
Old 11-11-2008, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , hugh
] writes

Setting up TP on a network is easy.

Ha ha ha
Not if your computer wants the path to be the main computer's C drive
and Turnpike has put itself on the T drive!

Old 11-11-2008, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , hugh
] writes

Setting up TP on a network is easy.

Ha ha ha
Not if your computer wants the path to be the main computer's C drive

Path for what?

and Turnpike has put itself on the T drive!

You can install Turnpike wherever you choose, but if you are upgrading
then Turnpike should pick the existing installation
--
Chris French

Old 11-11-2008, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , chris French
writes
In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , hugh
] writes

Setting up TP on a network is easy.

Ha ha ha
Not if your computer wants the path to be the main computer's C drive

Path for what?

and Turnpike has put itself on the T drive!

You can install Turnpike wherever you choose, but if you are upgrading
then Turnpike should pick the existing installation

And you can point it at any drive you choose to hold the news and mail
bases.
--
hugh
Old 12-11-2008, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , chris French
writes

Not if your computer wants the path to be the main computer's C drive

Path for what?

For looking at mail and groups from the other machine. I get 'other
network places but it won't allow me to choose anything other than the c
drive. I can see the T drive from the other room normally it was just
this window that wants to be pointed in the direction of where things
are stored.

and Turnpike has put itself on the T drive!

You can install Turnpike wherever you choose, but if you are upgrading
then Turnpike should pick the existing installation

That's what we thought but it didn't! In fact every time we tried to
connect it told us there was no valid server yet we are broadband and
could see the Internet and the files on mailwasher and even run team
viewer!

Janet

Old 12-11-2008, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:

I think the operative word in Judith's post is "was"? She is not longer
with Demon, which is why several people told her she would no
longer be able to use Turnpike...

Which is, as I understand it, incorrect?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 12-11-2008, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Rusty_Hinge
writes
The message
from Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:

I think the operative word in Judith's post is "was"? She is not longer
with Demon, which is why several people told her she would no
longer be able to use Turnpike...

Which is, as I understand it, incorrect?

As you know, to use Turnpike while not with Demon requires a Universal
Licence. Such may still be purchased, but comments on demon.service
suggest that the it is now prohibitively expensive. Confirmation can be
found at

http://www.demon.net/demon/products/...cess/turnpike/
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 12-11-2008, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 12, 6:06 pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
The message
from Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:

I think the operative word in Judith's post is "was"? She is not longer
with Demon, which is why several people told her she would no
longer be able to use Turnpike...

Which is, as I understand it, incorrect?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sigwrong.

Goodness knows Rusty, the problem is I am not competent, I admit it, I
won't pretend to be adept with all this stuff. The senior techie at
the hospital told me I didn't need to be with Demon as I had a
Universal Licence. He said just download the free edition of Turnpike
and it would work. It didn't. I could, if I spent some time on it,
probably work out what is going wrong. However, Google will do for me
as newsgroups are useful but not that important in my life. Google
leaves an awful lot to be desired, but as I said earlier, it's no big
deal. I can still read urg, so I'm happy. If I ever find out how to
do something different, as my good friend Martin is always advising
me, it will be a bonus, but for now, it's not high on my agenda,
gardening is and how to protect, adequately, my tender plants is more
important. Night Rusty..

Judith
Old 13-11-2008, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Judith in France writes
On Nov 12, 6:06 pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
The message
from Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:

I think the operative word in Judith's post is "was"? She is not longer
with Demon, which is why several people told her she would no
longer be able to use Turnpike...

Which is, as I understand it, incorrect?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sigwrong.

Goodness knows Rusty, the problem is I am not competent, I admit it, I
won't pretend to be adept with all this stuff. The senior techie at
the hospital told me I didn't need to be with Demon as I had a
Universal Licence.

Correct.

He said just download the free edition of Turnpike
and it would work.

There is only one version of turnpike to download, it becomes different
'versions' when it gets given different Site ID's

It didn't.

Most likely reason is that it didn't get your Universal Site ID and
thinks it's still a Standard ID.

If you just installed it onto a clean machine with no Turnpike then you
would need to give it the Universal Site ID, if it was an upgrade of an
existing installation then it should have picked it up.
--
Chris French

Old 13-11-2008, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 13, 8:06 am, chris French
wrote:
In message
,
Judith in France writes

On Nov 12, 6:06 pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
[...]

Brilliant Chris, thanks for clearing that up. If I still can't get it
to work; I'm going to the UK early December so I will take this laptop
with me and get my son-in-law, who is a computer programmer, to sort
it out for me. He, like my husband, prefers to do this stuff himself
rather than advise, such old fashioned men; I'm trying hard to bring
them into the 21st Century :-)

Judith