Old 13-11-2008, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Receiving this newsgroup (OT a bit)

On Nov 13, 11:59 am, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 03:28:59 -0800 (PST), Judith in France

wrote:
Brilliant Chris, thanks for clearing that up. If I still can't get it
to work; I'm going to the UK early December so I will take this laptop
with me and get my son-in-law, who is a computer programmer, to sort
it out for me. He, like my husband, prefers to do this stuff himself
rather than advise, such old fashioned men; I'm trying hard to bring
them into the 21st Century :-)

Why don't you get your husband to set it up for you?
--

Martin

Martin, I have to make an appointment to see my husband at the moment,
he has started lecturing at the hospital. Also, I suppose, I wanted
to show him I could do it. LOL that didn't work though.

Judith
Old 13-11-2008, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Stewart Robert Hinsley contains these words:
In message , Rusty_Hinge
writes
The message
from Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:

I think the operative word in Judith's post is "was"? She is not longer
with Demon, which is why several people told her she would no
longer be able to use Turnpike...

Which is, as I understand it, incorrect?

As you know, to use Turnpike while not with Demon requires a Universal
Licence. Such may still be purchased, but comments on demon.service
suggest that the it is now prohibitively expensive. Confirmation can be
found at

http://www.demon.net/demon/products/...cess/turnpike/

Well, I didn't, but as I don't use Turnpike, I wouldn't, innit.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 13-11-2008, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Judith in France contains these words:

Goodness knows Rusty, the problem is I am not competent, I admit it, I
won't pretend to be adept with all this stuff. The senior techie at
the hospital told me I didn't need to be with Demon as I had a
Universal Licence. He said just download the free edition of Turnpike
and it would work. It didn't. I could, if I spent some time on it,
probably work out what is going wrong. However, Google will do for me
as newsgroups are useful but not that important in my life. Google
leaves an awful lot to be desired, but as I said earlier, it's no big
deal. I can still read urg, so I'm happy. If I ever find out how to
do something different, as my good friend Martin is always advising
me, it will be a bonus, but for now, it's not high on my agenda,
gardening is and how to protect, adequately, my tender plants is more
important. Night Rusty..

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 14-11-2008, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , hugh
] writes

You can install Turnpike wherever you choose, but if you are upgrading
then Turnpike should pick the existing installation

And you can point it at any drive you choose to hold the news and mail
bases.

It won't take me to the drive I need, it only gives the option under
Networks, other machine, C drive. Will not show other drives that i know
i should be seeing.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 14-11-2008, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 Janet Tweedy wrote:

You can install Turnpike wherever you choose, but if you are
upgrading then Turnpike should pick the existing installation

And you can point it at any drive you choose to hold the news and mail
bases.

It won't take me to the drive I need, it only gives the option under
Networks, other machine, C drive. Will not show other drives that i
know i should be seeing.

Can you not map a network drive to a drive letter?

David

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk

Old 17-11-2008, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , hugh
] writes

You can install Turnpike wherever you choose, but if you are
upgrading then Turnpike should pick the existing installation

And you can point it at any drive you choose to hold the news and mail
bases.

It won't take me to the drive I need, it only gives the option under
Networks, other machine, C drive. Will not show other drives that i
know i should be seeing.

This sounds more like a Windows issue.

When you use the 'browse' button in the Turnpike 'Paths' dialogue it
just calls up the standard Windows dialogue for browsing a to a folder.
If you can see the folder on the other computer in Windows then it
should be accessible here as well.

If it isn't listed directly under Network Places (XP) can you browse to
it via the Workgroup Computers route?

Ca you map a network drive on your computer to this folder?
--
Chris French

Old 18-11-2008, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , David Rance
writes
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 Janet Tweedy wrote:

Can you not map a network drive to a drive letter?

David

Well on our own machines yes but we have laptop and Tom's machine before
those drives IYSWIM
Old 18-11-2008, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 18/11/08 18:54, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , David Rance
writes
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 Janet Tweedy wrote:

Can you not map a network drive to a drive letter?

David

Well on our own machines yes but we have laptop and Tom's machine before
those drives IYSWIM

ummm... wots all this got to do with gardening?

Old 18-11-2008, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , David Rance
writes
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 Janet Tweedy wrote:

Can you not map a network drive to a drive letter?

David

Well on our own machines yes but we have laptop and Tom's machine
before those drives IYSWIM

sorry, didn't follow that.
--
Chris French

Old 18-11-2008, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Ed
writes
On 18/11/08 18:54, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , David Rance
writes
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 Janet Tweedy wrote:

Can you not map a network drive to a drive letter?

David

Well on our own machines yes but we have laptop and Tom's machine
before those drives IYSWIM

ummm... wots all this got to do with gardening?

absolutely nothing, surprised anyone without an interest in turnpike si
still reading this thread.
--
Chris French

Old 19-11-2008, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Ed
writes

ummm... wots all this got to do with gardening?

If you'd followed this thread from the start you would see it was
because some of us could not get this group.

It does say OT in the subject line.......................
Old 19-11-2008, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , chris French
writes
In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , David Rance
writes
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 Janet Tweedy wrote:

Can you not map a network drive to a drive letter?

David

Well on our own machines yes but we have laptop and Tom's machine
before those drives IYSWIM

sorry, didn't follow that.

Well David seemed to imply that other machines on a network should be
assigned a drive letter, or rather that's what I understood him to mean,
when in actual fact the other machines are accessed by
my network places, then Tom's c, Tom's t, Jan's c and laptop c, however
if i try to choose the Tom's computer for the path for emails etc., I
cannot get the option to select t drive only the c drive with the
Turnpike installation on my computer. The emails etc. are on the t drive
but I have no other way of forcing turnpike to look there. It just sulks

never mind it was all worth a try and for a minute i thought I'd cracked
it and would be able to see newsgroups and received mail on another
computer on the network.

Thanks for helping Chris.

Janet
Old 19-11-2008, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 19/11/08 14:16, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , chris French
writes
In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , David Rance
writes
[...]

This is the wrong group for this discussion eh?

Tell me about how to grow broad beans.

Old 19-11-2008, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Ed ex@directory contains these words:
[...]

Well, ask in a relevant thread. (And a less insistent whine)

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 19-11-2008, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Rusty_Hinge
writes
The message
from Ed ex@directory contains these words:

This is the wrong group for this discussion eh?

Tell me about how to grow broad beans.

Well, ask in a relevant thread. (And a less insistent whine)

FX: Glances at calendar

Hopefully the last of the Summer whine.

Growing Broad beans? Funny time of year to ask...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply