Old 03-11-2008, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Receiving this newsgroup

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 02:05:35 GMT, Rusty Hinge
wrote:
The message

from Judith in France contains these words:

Oh???? Now to keep very much on topic Martin, it is 1.10a.m. in
France, and with you.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz!

We are on high alert, storm warning. I am up
as stuff in the garden is blowing like crazy, see Puy de Dome weather
forecast. I meant to take in the last of the hanging begonias in
today, to overwinter - I should have done, I can see several have
taken off and are flying around the garden. branches are broken on the
Acacias, there is so much damage to shrubs, tiles have flown off the
pool house. I want to go and rescue some plants in pots, it really is
not safe, I have closed and locked all shutters, put night lights out
as I have no doubt we will lose our electricity during the night, we
usually do in tempests like this.

Fnigers corssed...

She is going outside, she may be some time ...

Well, blow me down...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 03-11-2008, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

Now boys, I know you were concerned for me, you should be, it is
raging out there. I can see bits of my back garden flying down the
lane and bits from my courtyard at the bottom of the swimming pool,
complete with the leaves of several trees, guess who will have to get
into cold water when this dies down as the robot will not be able to
cope with that lot. BTW the pool cover is attached to a tree at the
moment!!!!!

Judith
Old 03-11-2008, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Rance wrote:

While I seem to be able to post to this newsgroup I haven't been able to
receive any articles for a couple of months now and this seems entirely
due to the Demon news server. Demon say they are aware of the problem
but don't appear to have done anything about it. I think maybe they are
trying to get rid of individual customers like me in favour of corporate
accounts (just look at their online newsletter - it's aimed exclusively
at businesses). I've been with them thirteen years and uk.rec.gardening
was the first newsgroup I ever posted to so I'm rather missing it!
Interestingly I can receive newsgroups that Demon themselves sponsor but
nothing else.

Please forgive this rant but I am feeling fed up with Demon to whom I
have been loyal for a very long time. And if you answer this thread I
won't be able to see it! :-( But I just wondered how many others who
have Demon as ISP are no longer able to receive this newsgroup.

David

Get news from a different server ......

See http://news.individual.net/ hosted by the Free University of Berlin,
¤10 per year, generally works well and hosts a large number of Usenet
News Groups.
--
Larry Stoter
Old 03-11-2008, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , David Rance
writes
[...]

I couldn't agree more David! I've read this group via Google groups but
that's terrible compared to reading this via turnpike.
It's just been turned on tonight so here's hoping newsgroups are back
with Demon.
Considering the amount if money we pay for the 'privilege' of a Demon
account you'd think they would give some service to their customers.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 03-11-2008, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , hugh
] writes

But I just wondered how many others who have Demon as ISP are no
longer able to receive this newsgroup.

David

My newsgroups have just come on again! Well your thread only at the
moment

No-one on Demon can see any Newsgroup other than those hosted on Demon
- I am not even sure how I have come to see your post, unless it is
because you are also on Demon Hence I am guessing you may see this reply.

(See above)

I am now coming to the conclusion it's time to move on. The old
familiar story of British entrepreneurial initiative being suffocated
by the corporate suites.

We got Demon for it's reliability but if they are going to chuck
newsgroups because they take up too much bandwidth then we will also
move.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Gordon H
writes

Like other demon users I await a resolution of their 'problem', but
time is running out; as a HomeOffice8000 user I am not getting my full
moneys' worth at present. 8-(

I wrote and asked when we were going to get the groups back and got a
very snotty reply.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:
In article , Gordon H
writes

Like other demon users I await a resolution of their 'problem', but
time is running out; as a HomeOffice8000 user I am not getting my full
moneys' worth at present. 8-(

I wrote and asked when we were going to get the groups back and got a
very snotty reply.

I know what I'd do first.

Then what I'd do next.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 03-11-2008, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes

We got Demon for it's reliability but if they are going to chuck
newsgroups because they take up too much bandwidth then we will also
move.

There are plenty of other decent, reliable ISP's. For IMO home customers
Demon ceased to be one of those a long time ago.

Though we left Demon a number of years ago because they weren't price
competitive anymore

--
Chris French

Old 03-11-2008, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 3, 9:58 pm, chris French
wrote:
In message , Janet Tweedy
writes

We got Demon for it's reliability but if they are going to chuck
newsgroups because they take up too much bandwidth then we will also
move.

There are plenty of other decent, reliable ISP's. For IMO home customers
Demon ceased to be one of those a long time ago.

Though we left Demon a number of years ago because they weren't price
competitive anymore

--
Chris French

Chris lovely to see you posting, how is Helen and the children, is she
still at Addenbrookes?

Judith
Old 03-11-2008, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 3, 4:15 pm, Martin wrote:

wrote:
[...]

She is having her Oates
--

Martin

Have you got wind in Dutchland?

Judith

Old 03-11-2008, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 Janet Tweedy wrote:

We got Demon for it's reliability but if they are going to chuck
newsgroups because they take up too much bandwidth then we will also
move.

I spent some time today looking at other ISPs. But quite a few others
that used to have a good name seem also to be going the same way as
Demon. Nildram used to have a good name but the latest feedback on them
suggests otherwise. The best I've found is Zen.

Well, I've always been cautious and won't jump immediately, but I've now
got a strategy if the worst comes to the worst.

David

P.S. On my frequent trips to France I'm still able to get newsgroups
from Wanadoo/Orange - and it's cheaper than Demon. the only thing I
don't have over there is a static IP.

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk

Old 04-11-2008, 07:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I started out with demon, and the world of Usenet, in 1994,but moved on
fairly quickly.

My reason at the time was that newer ISP's were providing all in one windows
installation, and pop3 mail....sounds a bit silly now but demon tried to
convince users that SMTP in their dos based DIS package was the way to go
and to ignore all that fancy windows stuff.

Why not just ditch them, and/or buy a subscription to individual.net for a
perfect news service

Old 04-11-2008, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Rance wrote:
On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 Janet Tweedy wrote:

We got Demon for it's reliability but if they are going to chuck
newsgroups because they take up too much bandwidth then we will also
move.

I spent some time today looking at other ISPs. But quite a few others
that used to have a good name seem also to be going the same way as
Demon. Nildram used to have a good name but the latest feedback on them
suggests otherwise. The best I've found is Zen.

Well, I've always been cautious and won't jump immediately, but I've now
got a strategy if the worst comes to the worst.

David

P.S. On my frequent trips to France I'm still able to get newsgroups
from Wanadoo/Orange - and it's cheaper than Demon. the only thing I
don't have over there is a static IP.

There does seem to have been an issue with Demon picking up its feeds
from USENET for about a month; but it does look as if it is sorted now.
I don't think it, necessarily a sign that Demon has gone to the dogs -
quite a lot of the Usenet web services have been reporting message
replication issues over the last few weeks - could be a sudden increase
in global Usenet traffic??? The use of Usenet for political campaigning
in the US Election springs to mind as a possibility.

rjbl
Old 04-11-2008, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 23:53:18 +0100, David Rance wrote
(in article ):

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 Janet Tweedy wrote:

We got Demon for it's reliability but if they are going to chuck
newsgroups because they take up too much bandwidth then we will also
move.

I spent some time today looking at other ISPs. But quite a few others
that used to have a good name seem also to be going the same way as
Demon. Nildram used to have a good name but the latest feedback on them
suggests otherwise. The best I've found is Zen.

Well, I've always been cautious and won't jump immediately, but I've now
got a strategy if the worst comes to the worst.

David, you don't as I see it actually need to change your ISP if you don't
want to. As others have said, a sub to individual.net is very cheap and very
reliable, and then all you need is a dedicated news reader. There are plenty
of free ones depending on what you want. The only thing individual.net
doesn't provide is binaries, but that doesn't personally bother me and may or
may not be important to you. I am with individual.net but have changed ISPs
fairly recently and it made no difference.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through uk.rec.gardening

Old 04-11-2008, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Gordon H
writes

Like other demon users I await a resolution of their 'problem', but
time is running out; as a HomeOffice8000 user I am not getting my full
moneys' worth at present. 8-(

I wrote and asked when we were going to get the groups back and got a
very snotty reply.

8-(

This situation seems to have happened as they were taken over by Cable &
Wireless. The original Demon team were the best ISP, no doubt about
that, but I sense that the techies may have departed the ship as Thus
and now C&W took charge. Either that or maybe the spare hardware
capacity which Demon used to have has been dispensed with to save
money...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply