Old 02-11-2008, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Receiving this newsgroup

While I seem to be able to post to this newsgroup I haven't been able to
receive any articles for a couple of months now and this seems entirely
due to the Demon news server. Demon say they are aware of the problem
but don't appear to have done anything about it. I think maybe they are
trying to get rid of individual customers like me in favour of corporate
accounts (just look at their online newsletter - it's aimed exclusively
at businesses). I've been with them thirteen years and uk.rec.gardening
was the first newsgroup I ever posted to so I'm rather missing it!
Interestingly I can receive newsgroups that Demon themselves sponsor but
nothing else.

Please forgive this rant but I am feeling fed up with Demon to whom I
have been loyal for a very long time. And if you answer this thread I
won't be able to see it! :-( But I just wondered how many others who
have Demon as ISP are no longer able to receive this newsgroup.

David

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk

Old 02-11-2008, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David Rance
writes
While I seem to be able to post to this newsgroup I haven't been able
to receive any articles for a couple of months now and this seems
entirely due to the Demon news server. Demon say they are aware of the
problem but don't appear to have done anything about it. I think maybe
they are trying to get rid of individual customers like me in favour of
corporate accounts (just look at their online newsletter - it's aimed
exclusively at businesses). I've been with them thirteen years and
uk.rec.gardening was the first newsgroup I ever posted to so I'm rather
missing it! Interestingly I can receive newsgroups that Demon
themselves sponsor but nothing else.

Please forgive this rant but I am feeling fed up with Demon to whom I
have been loyal for a very long time. And if you answer this thread I
won't be able to see it! :-(

...unless you are also on Demon, which I am.

But I just wondered how many others who have Demon as ISP are no longer
able to receive this newsgroup.

David

No-one on Demon can see any Newsgroup other than those hosted on Demon -
I am not even sure how I have come to see your post, unless it is
because you are also on Demon Hence I am guessing you may see this
reply.

For the whole sorry saga go to newsgroup demon.service

I first joined Demon in the early 90s when Windows For Workgroups was
around. Like most other private users I am now coming to the conclusion
it's time to move on. The old familiar story of British entrepreneurial
initiative being suffocated by the corporate suites.
--
hugh
Old 02-11-2008, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 12:17:18 +0000, David Rance
wrote:

Please forgive this rant but I am feeling fed up with Demon to whom I
have been loyal for a very long time. And if you answer this thread I
won't be able to see it! :-( But I just wondered how many others who
have Demon as ISP are no longer able to receive this newsgroup.

David

I'm using Demon and can see this newsgroup. The main difference is
that I am also using lots of other Usenet providers at the same time!

There are many free news servers so you don't have to depend on Demon.

If you are thinking of leaving Demon it's worth noting that they
provide very, very reliable connectivity. It just their news server
that is unreliable.

Steve

--
Neural Planner Software Ltd http://www.NPSL1.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Network. http://www.swingnn.com

Old 02-11-2008, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 hugh wrote:

But I just wondered how many others who have Demon as ISP are no
longer able to receive this newsgroup.

No-one on Demon can see any Newsgroup other than those hosted on Demon
- I am not even sure how I have come to see your post, unless it is
because you are also on Demon Hence I am guessing you may see this reply.

Indeed, I did.

For the whole sorry saga go to newsgroup demon.service

Ah, so that's where I can read about it. I'll do that

I first joined Demon in the early 90s when Windows For Workgroups was
around. Like most other private users I am now coming to the conclusion
it's time to move on. The old familiar story of British entrepreneurial
initiative being suffocated by the corporate suites.

It's such a shame! Demon was the ISP that first made the Internet cheap
for people in the UK.

Best wishes, David

http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk

Old 02-11-2008, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Stephen Wolstenholme writes
wrote:

Please forgive this rant but I am feeling fed up with Demon to whom I
have been loyal for a very long time. And if you answer this thread I
won't be able to see it! :-( But I just wondered how many others who
have Demon as ISP are no longer able to receive this newsgroup.

David

I'm using Demon and can see this newsgroup. The main difference is
that I am also using lots of other Usenet providers at the same time!

There are many free news servers so you don't have to depend on Demon.

If you are thinking of leaving Demon it's worth noting that they
provide very, very reliable connectivity. It just their news server
that is unreliable.

I'm on demon, but getting news via Motzarella, thanks to the thread
which Janet started on this problem, which I saw via gardenbanter -
thanks Janet, and to whoever suggested motzarella

I've also emailed Demon about it, in the hope that if enough people
complain, they might realise they still have a user base for usenet.
--
Kay

Old 02-11-2008, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , hugh
] writes
In message , David Rance
writes
[...]

Ditto!

Paradoxically, the lack of newsgroup posts has resulted in a much tidier
garden, more time spent on other jobs, and more motivation to extend my
Real Life friends, which is all food for thought. ;-)

I first joined Demon in the early 90s when Windows For Workgroups was
around. Like most other private users I am now coming to the conclusion
it's time to move on. The old familiar story of British entrepreneurial
initiative being suffocated by the corporate suites.

That is certainly true. However, the most important uses for my
Internet connection have been solidly reliable, and I have always been
with Demon since I first went online, maybe 12 years ago.
Like other demon users I await a resolution of their 'problem', but time
is running out; as a HomeOffice8000 user I am not getting my full
moneys' worth at present. 8-(
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 02-11-2008, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

It seems a lot of us old urglers are or were with Demon. I left Demon
last December after many, many years with them. I may have
misunderstood but I thought they were bought by an oversea's company,
Dutch?

Judith
Old 02-11-2008, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from David Rance contains these words:

It's such a shame! Demon was the ISP that first made the Internet cheap
for people in the UK.

No it wasn't - have a look at Zetnet, which I suspect was established
before Demon...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 02-11-2008, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Stephen
Wolstenholme writes
wrote:

Please forgive this rant but I am feeling fed up with Demon to whom I
have been loyal for a very long time. And if you answer this thread I
won't be able to see it! :-( But I just wondered how many others who
have Demon as ISP are no longer able to receive this newsgroup.

David

I'm using Demon and can see this newsgroup. The main difference is
that I am also using lots of other Usenet providers at the same time!

There are many free news servers so you don't have to depend on Demon.

If you are thinking of leaving Demon it's worth noting that they
provide very, very reliable connectivity. It just their news server
that is unreliable.

Steve

I used Demon as ISP from 1994 until March this year and have noted a
major falling off in service levels. Apart from the moving of Customer
Service from London to the sub continent (from where many companies
provide satisfactory levels of support - but not Demon where obviously
insufficient training and authority was given to the new support staff),
the changes in ownership via Thus to Cable & Wireless have done little
favours for the subscribers. There are many who provide "very, very
reliable connectivity". and reliable news service supply.

I migrated to a competitor earlier this year after huge frustration over
billing, reliability and a number of well known issues. I am delighted
with current levels ofd service with my "new" ISP and happily still use
Turnpike (v. TP6.05U) to receive exactly the same newsgroups as those I
previously enjoyed.

I truly believe it is a disgrace the way Demon's client base is now
treated as has been mirrored in the general postings in demon.service
ng. for the past 4 or 5 years. Demon used to be tops. Sadly it no longer
is having been overtaken by others (Zen, Eclipse, Supanet etc.). Plus ca
change! Without wishing to mix linguistic metaphors, caveat emptor is
very valid in Demon's current phase.
--
Tom W.
Deepest Dorset
Old 02-11-2008, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Judith in France writes

wrote:

[...]

Haven't snipped as all comments salient. Demon was sold by Thus to Cable
& Wireless. Big in the Caribbean and several overseas marketplaces. I do
hope they throw resources behind Demon and bring it back to what it once
was .... but I hae ma doots!

--
Tom W.
Deepest Dorset

Old 02-11-2008, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Judith in France writes

wrote:

[...]

They were originally sold to Scottish Telecom, a subsidiary of Scottish
Power. Scottish Telecom was then demerged, under the name Thus. Thus has
recently been taken over by Cable & Wireless.

You may have been confused by the existence of Demon's Dutch subsidiary.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 02-11-2008, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , hugh ]
writes
In message , David Rance
writes

[...]

Good to see you Gordon.

John

Old 02-11-2008, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank goodness it isn't only me !! I have spent ages trying to get
articles from newsgroups - I can see my own postings but only very few
replies. From what you say these are from Demon newsgroups only.
I have been with Demon for some 15 years now but the end is nigh ... I
phoned Demon this week and I had an answer from what sounded like India
and was told there were problems with newsgroups - I asked when it would
be fixed but couldn't get a satisfactory reply. - to be honest I
couldn't really understand the person who was talking to me. I used to
enjoy newsgroups but haven't been using them for some time but now when
want to get some info I can't get any postings. I am under a 12 month
contract with Demon until next March but if they can't provide a service
then I am going to break my contract - or should I say "they have broken
the contract".
John

In message , Gordon H
writes
In message , hugh
] writes
In message , David Rance
writes
[...]

J.G.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 2, 11:19 pm, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 07:55:43 -0800 (PST), Judith in France

wrote:

[...]

Only if Cable and Wireless are Dutch.http://www.broadband-finder.co.uk/ne...rnet-board-adv...
--,

Martin

Oh???? Now to keep very much on topic Martin, it is 1.10a.m. in
France, and with you. We are on high alert, storm warning. I am up
as stuff in the garden is blowing like crazy, see Puy de Dome weather
forecast. I meant to take in the last of the hanging begonias in
today, to overwinter - I should have done, I can see several have
taken off and are flying around the garden. branches are broken on the
Acacias, there is so much damage to shrubs, tiles have flown off the
pool house. I want to go and rescue some plants in pots, it really is
not safe, I have closed and locked all shutters, put night lights out
as I have no doubt we will lose our electricity during the night, we
usually do in tempests like this.

Judith
Old 03-11-2008, 02:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Judith in France contains these words:

Oh???? Now to keep very much on topic Martin, it is 1.10a.m. in
France, and with you. We are on high alert, storm warning. I am up
as stuff in the garden is blowing like crazy, see Puy de Dome weather
forecast. I meant to take in the last of the hanging begonias in
today, to overwinter - I should have done, I can see several have
taken off and are flying around the garden. branches are broken on the
Acacias, there is so much damage to shrubs, tiles have flown off the
pool house. I want to go and rescue some plants in pots, it really is
not safe, I have closed and locked all shutters, put night lights out
as I have no doubt we will lose our electricity during the night, we
usually do in tempests like this.

Fnigers corssed...

--
Rusty
Men love women, women love children, children love hamsters.