Old 03-11-2008, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default OT Blitzed

When I opened my Email this morning it started down loading and just
didn't stop, when it reached 5807 I loged off and phoned the firm
hosting my website.
They should have had spam blocker on my account. They had to delete my
in box,
This was their email to me
"All done, you had 7,500 junk emails hitting your account from what
looked like a spammer in Russia."
I dont know if that is as well as those I downloaded or not.
Some nice person had spamed using my address and I got all the rejects
saying mail could not be delivered.
I'll probably get more for the next couple of days.
Dont you just love the internet,

David Hill
Old 04-11-2008, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 18:46:09 +0100, Dave Hill wrote
(in article
):

When I opened my Email this morning it started down loading and just
didn't stop, when it reached 5807 I loged off and phoned the firm
hosting my website.
They should have had spam blocker on my account. They had to delete my
in box,
This was their email to me
"All done, you had 7,500 junk emails hitting your account from what
looked like a spammer in Russia."
I dont know if that is as well as those I downloaded or not.
Some nice person had spamed using my address and I got all the rejects
saying mail could not be delivered.
I'll probably get more for the next couple of days.
Dont you just love the internet,

Two things you could do to help in future, one is to mask your email address
on your web site, which I see has not been done at present (just looked at
your source code). Secondly, and even more effective, is to use a contact
form instead of an email address. However, now that it has been spammed you
might need to invent a new email address and ditch the old one!

Best of luck.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through uk.rec.gardening

Old 04-11-2008, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message et
from Sally Thompson contains these words:

Two things you could do to help in future, one is to mask your email
address
on your web site, which I see has not been done at present (just looked at
your source code). Secondly, and even more effective, is to use a contact
form instead of an email address. However, now that it has been
spammed you
might need to invent a new email address and ditch the old one!

Yup. Good advice.

My e-mail address on the wibble is reached from a link, and is in the
form of a jpeg.

Any sighted person can read it, but spambots can't harvest it.

I have been given a tag to put in the alt="" element of the a href=""
bit, but haven't got round to it yet.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 04-11-2008, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 09:46:09 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill
wrote:

When I opened my Email this morning it started down loading and just
didn't stop, when it reached 5807 I loged off and phoned the firm
hosting my website.
They should have had spam blocker on my account. They had to delete my
in box,

Tough Dave
Hope it rights itself quickly. Goos luck

Pam in Bristol
Old 04-11-2008, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:
wrote:

When I opened my Email this morning it started down loading and just
didn't stop, when it reached 5807 I loged off and phoned the firm
hosting my website.
They should have had spam blocker on my account. They had to delete my
in box,

Tough Dave
Hope it rights itself quickly. Goos luck

Goos luck? Isn't that what they leave littered outside yer back door?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 04-11-2008, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 15:15:25 +0000, Pam Moore
wrote:

Tough Dave
Hope it rights itself quickly. Goos luck.

Oops. You know what I meant!

Pam in Bristol
Old 04-11-2008, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote ...
When I opened my Email this morning it started down loading and just
didn't stop, when it reached 5807 I loged off and phoned the firm
hosting my website.
They should have had spam blocker on my account. They had to delete my
in box,
This was their email to me
"All done, you had 7,500 junk emails hitting your account from what
looked like a spammer in Russia."
I dont know if that is as well as those I downloaded or not.
Some nice person had spamed using my address and I got all the rejects
saying mail could not be delivered.
I'll probably get more for the next couple of days.
Dont you just love the internet,

What annoys me is that it's quite easy to miss an important mail because the
filter puts it into your Spam file with hundreds of others so it's easily
missed.
Happened to me two days ago.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 05-11-2008, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

What annoys me is that it's quite easy to miss an important mail
because the
filter puts it into your Spam file with hundreds of others so it's easily
missed.
Happened to me two days ago.

Our filter moves them to a separate mailbox and tells you how many, if
an, mails have been moved.

After two days (period can, IIRC, be adjusted) they are dumped.

So easy just to look in the 'deleted items' mailbox and see if anything
shouldn't be there.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 05-11-2008, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote after
"Bob Hobden"wrote:

What annoys me is that it's quite easy to miss an important mail
because the
filter puts it into your Spam file with hundreds of others so it's easily
missed.
Happened to me two days ago.

Our filter moves them to a separate mailbox and tells you how many, if
an, mails have been moved.

After two days (period can, IIRC, be adjusted) they are dumped.

So easy just to look in the 'deleted items' mailbox and see if anything
shouldn't be there.

Our filter does the same, directs them to a Spam File but it's still easy to
miss a wrongly directed mail from a new correspondent amongst a couple of
hundred junk mails, as happened to me a few days ago.
People in my address book are never put in the spam file but this person was
new and I didn't know their e-mail address.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 05-11-2008, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

Our filter does the same, directs them to a Spam File but it's still
easy to
miss a wrongly directed mail from a new correspondent amongst a couple of
hundred junk mails, as happened to me a few days ago.
People in my address book are never put in the spam file but this
person was
new and I didn't know their e-mail address.

Hmm. I rarely get more than three spam items in a download. Can't
remember having more than six.

Nearly all my spam ATM is phishing.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 05-11-2008, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Dave Hill contains these words:

On 5 Nov, 19:38, Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

Our filter does the same, directs them to a Spam File but it's still
easy to
miss a wrongly directed mail from a new correspondent amongst a
couple of
hundred junk mails, as happened to me a few days ago.
People in my address book are never put in the spam file but this
person was
new and I didn't know their e-mail address.

Hmm. I rarely get more than three spam items in a download. Can't
remember having more than six.

Nearly all my spam ATM is phishing.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Harry? That you?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 05-11-2008, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 5 Nov, 19:38, Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

Our filter does the same, directs them to a Spam File but it's still
easy to
miss a wrongly directed mail from a new correspondent amongst a couple of
hundred junk mails, as happened to me a few days ago.
People in my address book are never put in the spam file but this
person was
new and I didn't know their e-mail address.

Hmm. I rarely get more than three spam items in a download. Can't
remember having more than six.

Nearly all my spam ATM is phishing.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

It's OK saying to change my email address, but when it has been in use
for several years and is the one that is known to customers, press and
others it isn't so easy without loosing a lot of contacts, orders etc.
I find I am often listed in articles as a supplier but am seldom
contacted to check before publication.
I find rhat a couple of hundred spam a day is fairly normal, many of
them now in Russian.
I use a spam filter and scan quickly for items that have been picked
up by accident, but if you are going to check them all then there is
no point in having a filter.
I have to do a new web site and the idea of masking my email address
is a good point
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 05-11-2008, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Dave Hill contains these words:

It's OK saying to change my email address, but when it has been in use
for several years and is the one that is known to customers, press and
others it isn't so easy without loosing a lot of contacts, orders etc.
I find I am often listed in articles as a supplier but am seldom
contacted to check before publication.

I don't think anyone suggested you should change your address, but you
could do with a better spam management régime. How you go about that is
your pigeon.

I find rhat a couple of hundred spam a day is fairly normal, many of
them now in Russian.

The trick is to try not to release directly your address on Usenet or the WWW.

Look at http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/ and see how mine's hidden
from the spambots. (That's one way, anyway)

I use a spam filter and scan quickly for items that have been picked
up by accident, but if you are going to check them all then there is
no point in having a filter.

Well, with the number you attract I can't fault that observation. See above.

I have to do a new web site and the idea of masking my email address
is a good point

Bah! Obscure-rays!

Do it in your Usenet address too. (See my sig - it doesn't have to be
that obfuscated, though.)

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig