Old 04-12-2008, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Has this ......

In message , stuart noble
writes
Gordon H wrote:

It would suit me very nicely if Xmas was cancelled of course.

Xmas is optional, like Strictly Come Dancing. Ignore it and it goes
away (eventually).

But bloody Bruce Forsythe doesn't!
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 04-12-2008, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Gordon H contains these words:
In message , 'Mike'
writes
..... ""recession"" hit you or is it all media hype?

Do you know anybody who has been hit by this ""recession""? HOW?

It's terrible.
I received an extra £50 winter heating allowance on top of last year's
£200, and I get an extra £60 in January as an advance on my next pension
increase, due in April.

It's grim up North.

'Appen.

On the down side, savings interest has been slashed, and is due to be
reduced again today, so my savings income will be down, I should have
swapped more into that 1 year fixed rate ISA and made it for 2 or 3
years.

Savings?

My house is down about £15-£20 grand in value since last year, but I'm
not selling...

NMTAAAW

It would suit me very nicely if Xmas was cancelled of course.

Ah. smug When I see something christmaspresentworthy during the year,
I pounce, so I have a big box of stuff all ready to wrap by Christmas.

This year I shall have prombles finding enough recipients innit.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 04-12-2008, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Well, I own a roofing company, and - if you class installing copper ridge
on roofs as "building trade" - then, we're busier than ever.
Possibly because people are "extending" rather than moving house,
and want the older roof to look the same as the newer part...

I just wish we could get some better weather. The past "summer" was
not kind to us.

--
AnneJ

"THAT" is what I mean. At grass roots level, .............. what recession?
and this is what I found at the meeting the other night, ............ what
recession?

Media driven which gives the big businesses the opportunity to get rid of
dross/re-structure/cut back production on someone else's back

Mike

Old 04-12-2008, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 4, 9:53*am, "'Mike'" wrote:
--
wrote in message

In article ,
Pete C wrote:

No pay increase, no Christmas bonus, and no overtime, however, voluntary
'extra' hours requested to be worked. I'm hit!

Do you have any evidence that the recession is the cause, rather than
merely an excuse?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

This is my feeling and quite a few I asked at a meeting the other night.
"An excuse" to weed out/ditch/re-organise etc etc on someone else's 'back'.
I don't personally know anyone, who knows of anyone who has been affected..
Oh yes plenty in the paper!!! ""Media hype""
Holiday bookings are going well.
Yes house sales are slow, but why? Because the purchase of a house is a big
thing, a great investment, a long term investment, therefore with the media
telling us there is a recession and people believing the media :-( then they
hold back.

Mike

Try telling that to the thousands of people who have already lost or
are about to lose their jobs, or those whose salaries are frozen, or
even cut back.
Recession is defined as two consecutive quarters of negative growth in
a country's GDP. That point was reached in Ireland before the Summer,
and more recently in your neck of the woods.
Retail sales are back - why do you think your gubmint has reduced VAT
to 15%? And why do you think so many of your retailers have
anticipated it in their pricing?
I wish the recession were mere media hype. The hype may well worsen
it - by making people more cautious with their spending - but it has
regrettably a very real foundation.
I know that Ireland is not the UK, but our economies are very closely
linked. A lot of folks I know who work in the building trade have
seen their working week shrink, and in some cases disappear entirely.
I'm not talking big time developers here, I'm talking small self-
employed tradesmen. Hell, even the commute to and from Dublin is
easier these days, what with fewer white vans and other commuters on
the road!!

Caít()
Old 04-12-2008, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin, I don't think that the Unions have any teeth these days.

If membership carries on increasing at the present rate they soon will
have.

Why? Are they going into business and taking on the 'responsibility' of
employment?

Mike

Old 04-12-2008, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 03/12/08 17:14, 'Mike' wrote:
..... ""recession"" hit you or is it all media hype?

Do you know anybody who has been hit by this ""recession""? HOW?

Mike

My daughter , who is a driving instructor, has had loads of
cancellations in the past weeks.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Registered User

The bottom has fallen out of the house purchasing AND rental markets. I live in a town of 100,000, where 17 houses were sold last month, compared with 300 last year. The place is awash with "For rent" signs and rents are plummetting. We had an extension built last year by a local company which employed 30 plus at the time. They are now down to 8 and struggling, despite an excellent reputation.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
"Anne Welsh Jackson" wrote in message

Well, I own a roofing company, and - if you class installing copper ridge
on roofs as "building trade" - then, we're busier than ever.
Possibly because people are "extending" rather than moving house,
and want the older roof to look the same as the newer part...

AnneJ

""Media""???????????????

Just picked this up from another site ....

...I work for an automotive manufacturer on the south coast. We have just hit
the headlines because of some changes to our production and temp staff
going. The media haven't reported the facts as they are. As far as they are
concerned its game over. Infact its not at all and we will still make more
cars next year than we did in 2007! The media are as guilty as the bankers
for the state we are in!.......

""Media""""?

Follow it of you like, "I" live in the real world and it is fine and rosy
:-))))))))))

Lost your job? Were you crap at it? Have you thought of working for
yourself? 24/7 :-((

Mike

Old 04-12-2008, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:
Janet Conroy wrote:

What a stupid f***ing question. To suggest that what is happening
is media hype is ignorance in the extreme. Try telling the tens of
thousands of building trade workers who have been laid off in the last
few months that it's media hype. We are in a recession, there is worse
to come and no-one, even the original poster, will be immune.

Well, I own a roofing company, and - if you class installing copper ridge
on roofs as "building trade" - then, we're busier than ever.
Possibly because people are "extending" rather than moving house,
and want the older roof to look the same as the newer part...

I just wish we could get some better weather. The past "summer" was
not kind to us.

I would have thought that roofs would have sold like hot cakes...

D&RF - er - Roof.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 04-12-2008, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 4, 2:39 pm, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 03:50:32 -0800 (PST), Judith in France

wrote:
On Dec 4, 11:27 am, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 11:23:28 +0000, stuart noble
wrote:

shazzbat wrote:
"Pete C" wrote in message
David W EEE Roberts wrote:
'Mike' wrote:

..... ""recession"" hit you or is it all media hype?

Do you know anybody who has been hit by this ""recession""? HOW?

Mike

Can't sell our house at the moment - which I count as 'hit'.

Told by employers that due to the current economic climate there will
be no bonuses, pay rises, training, travel to any meetings which are
not directly revenue generating, long service awards etc. etc.

Yep - that feels like 'hit' to me.

Always assuming that the compulsory redundancies don't come my
way.....

That has just happened to my neighbour. He's hit.

Steve

The term "hit" is interesting. We like to feel that this is an act of
god, or some kind of external, uncontrollable event. Shame for those
left standing up when the music stopped, but it ain't a tsunami

It's hard to explain how a recession can lead to staff working excessive
overtime but are no longer paid for it nor given compensatory time. I am not
surprised that union membership is increasing.
--

Martin

Martin, I don't think that the Unions have any teeth these days.

If membership carries on increasing at the present rate they soon will have.

was in hospital management until I retired and I saw first hand that
when staff used the Union, for anything, it made little or no
difference to the outcome.

I've heard the same thing from my daughter.

To answer the OP question, everyone is hit
one way or another, it can't have escaped anyone that the cost of food
has soared, interest on savings slashed and for those who are selling
a house and not buying another, then there is a real loss. My
daughter bought a house on mortgage last year, she is in negative
equity, so yes, we are all hit, it is not media hype. There will be a
lot more people growing their own veggies next year.

Is your daughter still paying less, than if she rented the same property??
--

Martin

Yes, of course; so she can hold on, we have seen this in the past
early 1980? when our neighbours were in negative equity and very
worried, however when the recession ended, they sold their house a few
years later with a reasonable profit.

Judith

Old 04-12-2008, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 4, 12:52 pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
[...]

Innit? I am coming to see you innit?

Judith
Old 04-12-2008, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Judith in France contains these words:
On Dec 4, 12:52 pm, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:
[...]

Fishing, issit?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 04-12-2008, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Direct reply to: horrid dot squeak snailything zetnet point co
period uk Separator in search of a sig
Innit? I am coming to see you innit?

Fishing, issit?

--
Rusty
Direct reply to: horrid dot squeak snailything zetnet point co
period uk Separator in search of a sig

Yesitt!

Judith

wotssitt?
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 05-12-2008, 12:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 4, 8:59 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Judith in France wrote:

wrote:
[...]

My prezziett!

Judith

What has wings -- and digs??? Anne Lurie North Carolina 4 24-08-2003 04:02 AM
Today Elinor has mostly been planting peas..... Chris French and Helen Johnson United Kingdom 8 26-03-2003 06:08 PM
has the rec.ponds FAQ gone AWOL? Snooze Ponds 2 30-01-2003 12:44 PM
has the FAQ gone AWOL? Snooze Ponds 1 30-01-2003 12:41 PM
has the rec.ponds FAQ gone AWOL? Snooze Ponds 0 30-01-2003 05:56 AM