Old 03-12-2008, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Has this ......

...... ""recession"" hit you or is it all media hype?

Do you know anybody who has been hit by this ""recession""? HOW?

Mike

--
..

Old 03-12-2008, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:

..... ""recession"" hit you or is it all media hype?

Do you know anybody who has been hit by this ""recession""? HOW?

Mike

Can't sell our house at the moment - which I count as 'hit'.

Told by employers that due to the current economic climate there will be no
bonuses, pay rises, training, travel to any meetings which are not directly
revenue generating, long service awards etc. etc.

Yep - that feels like 'hit' to me.

Always assuming that the compulsory redundancies don't come my way.....
Old 03-12-2008, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David W EEE Roberts wrote:
'Mike' wrote:

..... ""recession"" hit you or is it all media hype?

Do you know anybody who has been hit by this ""recession""? HOW?

Mike

Can't sell our house at the moment - which I count as 'hit'.

Told by employers that due to the current economic climate there will
be no bonuses, pay rises, training, travel to any meetings which are
not directly revenue generating, long service awards etc. etc.

Yep - that feels like 'hit' to me.

Always assuming that the compulsory redundancies don't come my
way.....

No pay increase, no Christmas bonus, and no overtime, however, voluntary
'extra' hours requested to be worked. I'm hit!
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 03-12-2008, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Pete C wrote:

No pay increase, no Christmas bonus, and no overtime, however, voluntary
'extra' hours requested to be worked. I'm hit!

Do you have any evidence that the recession is the cause, rather than
merely an excuse?

Working in academia, I am accustomed to all of those, though we did
get a pay increase this year (to counteract bthe many years when we
didn't).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Registered User

What a stupid f***ing question. To suggest that what is happening is media hype is ignorance in the extreme. Try telling the tens of thousands of building trade workers who have been laid off in the last few months that it's media hype. We are in a recession, there is worse to come and no-one, even the original poster, will be immune.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message
David W EEE Roberts wrote:
'Mike' wrote:

..... ""recession"" hit you or is it all media hype?

Do you know anybody who has been hit by this ""recession""? HOW?

Mike

Can't sell our house at the moment - which I count as 'hit'.

Told by employers that due to the current economic climate there will
be no bonuses, pay rises, training, travel to any meetings which are
not directly revenue generating, long service awards etc. etc.

Yep - that feels like 'hit' to me.

Always assuming that the compulsory redundancies don't come my
way.....

That has just happened to my neighbour. He's hit.

Steve

Old 04-12-2008, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..
wrote in message
In article ,
Pete C wrote:

No pay increase, no Christmas bonus, and no overtime, however, voluntary
'extra' hours requested to be worked. I'm hit!

Do you have any evidence that the recession is the cause, rather than
merely an excuse?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

This is my feeling and quite a few I asked at a meeting the other night.
"An excuse" to weed out/ditch/re-organise etc etc on someone else's 'back'.
I don't personally know anyone, who knows of anyone who has been affected.
Oh yes plenty in the paper!!! ""Media hype""
Holiday bookings are going well.
Yes house sales are slow, but why? Because the purchase of a house is a big
thing, a great investment, a long term investment, therefore with the media
telling us there is a recession and people believing the media :-( then they
hold back.

Mike

Old 04-12-2008, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Conroy wrote:
What a stupid f***ing question. To suggest that what is happening is
media hype is ignorance in the extreme. Try telling the tens of
thousands of building trade workers who have been laid off in the last
few months that it's media hype. We are in a recession, there is worse
to come and no-one, even the original poster, will be immune.

If the f***ing building companies hadn't got greedy they wouldn't have
left with this problem in the first place.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:

You are lucky then, most of the suppliers to the automotive industry
like us are going onto a reduced working week after Christmas

Old 04-12-2008, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

shazzbat wrote:
"Pete C" wrote in message
David W EEE Roberts wrote:
'Mike' wrote:

..... ""recession"" hit you or is it all media hype?

Do you know anybody who has been hit by this ""recession""? HOW?

Mike

Can't sell our house at the moment - which I count as 'hit'.

Told by employers that due to the current economic climate there will
be no bonuses, pay rises, training, travel to any meetings which are
not directly revenue generating, long service awards etc. etc.

Yep - that feels like 'hit' to me.

Always assuming that the compulsory redundancies don't come my
way.....

That has just happened to my neighbour. He's hit.

Steve

The term "hit" is interesting. We like to feel that this is an act of
god, or some kind of external, uncontrollable event. Shame for those
left standing up when the music stopped, but it ain't a tsunami
Old 04-12-2008, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , 'Mike'
writes
..... ""recession"" hit you or is it all media hype?

Do you know anybody who has been hit by this ""recession""? HOW?

It's terrible.
I received an extra £50 winter heating allowance on top of last year's
£200, and I get an extra £60 in January as an advance on my next pension
increase, due in April.

It's grim up North.

On the down side, savings interest has been slashed, and is due to be
reduced again today, so my savings income will be down, I should have
swapped more into that 1 year fixed rate ISA and made it for 2 or 3
years.

My house is down about £15-£20 grand in value since last year, but I'm
not selling...

It would suit me very nicely if Xmas was cancelled of course.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 04-12-2008, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes

It's hard to explain how a recession can lead to staff working excessive
overtime but are no longer paid for it nor given compensatory time. I am not
surprised that union membership is increasing.

Unfortunately the dim bulbs only see the advantage of a trades union
when redundancy is threatened, and there is little protection nowadays,
unless you work in vital services.
My union saved me in 1981, and gave me the chance of 10 years further
employment with the same company, albeit after 6 months of tough
assessment.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 04-12-2008, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gordon H wrote:
In message , 'Mike'
writes
..... ""recession"" hit you or is it all media hype?

Do you know anybody who has been hit by this ""recession""? HOW?

It's terrible.
I received an extra £50 winter heating allowance on top of last year's
£200, and I get an extra £60 in January as an advance on my next pension
increase, due in April.

It's grim up North.

On the down side, savings interest has been slashed, and is due to be
reduced again today, so my savings income will be down, I should have
swapped more into that 1 year fixed rate ISA and made it for 2 or 3 years.

My house is down about £15-£20 grand in value since last year, but I'm
not selling...

It would suit me very nicely if Xmas was cancelled of course.

Xmas is optional, like Strictly Come Dancing. Ignore it and it goes away
(eventually).
Old 04-12-2008, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 4, 11:27 am, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 11:23:28 +0000, stuart noble
wrote:

shazzbat wrote:
"Pete C" wrote in message
David W EEE Roberts wrote:
'Mike' wrote:

[...]

Martin, I don't think that the Unions have any teeth these days. I
was in hospital management until I retired and I saw first hand that
when staff used the Union, for anything, it made little or no
difference to the outcome. To answer the OP question, everyone is hit
one way or another, it can't have escaped anyone that the cost of food
has soared, interest on savings slashed and for those who are selling
a house and not buying another, then there is a real loss. My
daughter bought a house on mortgage last year, she is in negative
equity, so yes, we are all hit, it is not media hype. There will be a
lot more people growing their own veggies next year.

Judith

What has wings -- and digs??? Anne Lurie North Carolina 4 24-08-2003 04:02 AM
Today Elinor has mostly been planting peas..... Chris French and Helen Johnson United Kingdom 8 26-03-2003 06:08 PM
has the rec.ponds FAQ gone AWOL? Snooze Ponds 2 30-01-2003 12:44 PM
has the FAQ gone AWOL? Snooze Ponds 1 30-01-2003 12:41 PM
has the rec.ponds FAQ gone AWOL? Snooze Ponds 0 30-01-2003 05:56 AM