Old 16-01-2009, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default First frog

The first frog of the year sighted. I noticed some movement in the pond
a couple of days ago but today a definite sighting. This is 3 days
earlier than 2008 which is a bit surprising given the recent very cold
spell, four weeks earlier than 2007 and six weeks earlier than 2006.
--
Robert
Old 16-01-2009, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:

The text of the local weather forecast warns of a big gale/storm this weekend -
Atlantic depression low 995. The tabulated forecast gives Beaufort 5.

Er, some mistake, shirley? Beaufort 5 isn't more than a strong wind,
even in sheltered parts of the UK.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-01-2009, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 16, 3:26*pm, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 15:09:06 +0000 (GMT), wrote:
In article ,
Martin wrote:

The text of the local weather forecast warns of a *big gale/storm this weekend -
Atlantic depression *low 995. The tabulated forecast gives Beaufort 5..

Er, some mistake, shirley? *Beaufort 5 isn't more than a strong wind,
even in sheltered parts of the UK.

Eggsactly.
--

Martin

Hi.
We spotted the first frog of the year in our pond a few days ago.
No idea when we'll see the rest though !
Old 16-01-2009, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/1/09 14:52, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 14:28:30 +0000, Sacha wrote:

On 16/1/09 14:13, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 13:26:24 +0000, Sacha wrote:

On 16/1/09 12:03, in article
, "robert"
wrote:

The first frog of the year sighted. I noticed some movement in the pond
a couple of days ago but today a definite sighting. This is 3 days
earlier than 2008 which is a bit surprising given the recent very cold
spell, four weeks earlier than 2007 and six weeks earlier than 2006.

I'm really glad you've seen yours - no sign of our toads yet but it would
be
very early for them. I read that in some colder parts of the country an
entire generation of froglets has been wiped out.

At long last we have some snow drops in flower. Below the surface the ground
is
still frozen.
On the IJsselmeer they are using icebreakers to make ice free channels
through
the ice for the commercial barges.

Our snowdrops are just coming through and some are showing colour. I've
seen a few daffs pushing up, too. But it's still very cold here. I haven't
checked today but yesterday was 7C and I doubt today is any warmer.

The text of the local weather forecast warns of a big gale/storm this weekend
-
Atlantic depression low 995. The tabulated forecast gives Beaufort 5.

Oh lovely. The only thing we haven't had is snow!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 17-01-2009, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/1/09 22:21, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 22:14:27 +0000, Sacha wrote:

On 16/1/09 20:44, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 16:47:46 +0000, Sacha wrote:

snip

The text of the local weather forecast warns of a big gale/storm this
weekend
-
Atlantic depression low 995. The tabulated forecast gives Beaufort 5.

Oh lovely. The only thing we haven't had is snow!

Still no snow?

Not a flake. I really thought it might happen last night as it was pouring
with rain and the temperature dropped like a stone but no, nothing. I think
it's now reached the stage where the weather is just boring. It's cold and
damp when it's not perishingly cold and wet.

The shipping forecast looks quite lively for your part of the world
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/...l?area=Plymout
h&type=All
Gale warning 1551 Fri 16 Jan

Portland, Plymouth
Southwest 6 to gale 8, increasing severe gale 9, perhaps storm 10, later.
Rough,
occasionally very rough in Plymouth. Occasional rain. Moderate or good,
occasionally poor

Horrendous, isn't it? she says, gazing out of the window at a light breeze,
sunshine and a fairly clear sky!

Old 17-01-2009, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/1/09 11:31, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 11:25:22 +0000, AriesVal

wrote:

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 11:05:39 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Gale warning 1551 Fri 16 Jan

Portland, Plymouth
Southwest 6 to gale 8, increasing severe gale 9, perhaps storm 10, later.
Rough,
occasionally very rough in Plymouth. Occasional rain. Moderate or good,
occasionally poor

Horrendous, isn't it? she says, gazing out of the window at a light breeze,
sunshine and a fairly clear sky!

Same here atm - calm before the storm I reckon!

How many more are you going to have? Friday was calm before the storm day in
Sennen.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/..._forecast.html

Plymouth
Gale warning 0354 Sat 17 Jan

Southwesterly severe gale force 9 increasing storm force 10 soon
Shipping forecast 1130 Sat 17 Jan
Wind Southwest veering west 6 to gale 8, increasing severe gale 9 or storm

10
for a time.
Sea State Very rough or high.
Weather Rain or squally showers.
Visibility Moderate or poor."

Time to change the sea weed?

I'm trying to remember the actual time lags in 'soon' and 'imminent'. But
it is windier here now at nearly 3pm, though nothing remotely like a gale.
The sky is a bit grey but glints of sun are trying to come through. I think
the wind is probably building because I can now hear it in the chimney but
that's as bad as it gets so far! It's veering S to SW so we will probably
get some rain soon!

Old 17-01-2009, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17 Jan, 11:25, AriesVal wrote:
Same here atm - calm before the storm I reckon!

I was reading you all this morning thinking 'ohh poor them'. It's been
glorious for a couple of days here in Manc, and today was fabulous - I
even cleaned my windows with a warm sun on my back.

Well ... Let me tell you, I'm glad I didn't say anything, it's
horrendous now - gales so strong, I think our verandah's going to do a
Mary Poppins on us any moment. Worst still, we had at least 10 kids
coming to our annual Wassail do tonight at the lotty, hot cider, cakes
and soup planned, bonfire and torches, we were all kitted with drums,
marracas and tambourines ... We even learnt the song! You've guessed
it, it's cancelled (

Offical Frog ~ Pacific Chorus Frog kthirtya Ponds (moderated) 1 02-05-2007 05:18 PM
just for the record first frog spawn this year Tumbleweed Ponds 9 13-03-2005 11:04 PM
Just for the record, first frog spawn this year Tumbleweed United Kingdom 2 11-03-2005 12:37 AM
First frog of the season Bonnie Ponds 14 30-03-2004 11:36 PM
First frog Sally Thompson United Kingdom 12 13-11-2003 04:42 PM