Old 22-02-2009, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Swivel blade bow saw query.

On Feb 22, 6:23*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 22/2/09 16:51, in article ,

"Martin" wrote:
On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 16:39:33 +0000, Sacha wrote:

snip

Italian is, sadly, spoken only in Italy.

It was the fact that Italian is only spoken in Italy that made me ask for an
intensive Italian course.

But it's also the reason it's not a language taught as a primary foreign
language in English schools. *I started French at 4 but that might be
because I lived in a place with strong French connections. *There was no
choice of other language to learn until I went to boarding school in England
at 13 and could have done Spanish or German, neither of which appealed to
me, so I stuck to French.
Having some Italian would probably be useful to budding gardeners because of
its affinity with Latin, though!

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

I have, or at least once had a dictionary of Botanical Latin, but I
never thought to check for bow saw, Somehow I don't think it would
have been much use.
Old 22-02-2009, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/2/09 18:14, in article
,
"aquachimp" wrote:

On Feb 22, 6:23*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 22/2/09 16:51, in article ,

"Martin" wrote:
[...]

Almost certainly not! I got sega dell' arco from my dictionary but not the
adjustable bit.

Old 22-02-2009, 11:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/2/09 18:18, in article , "K"
wrote:

Sacha writes
On 22/2/09 16:51, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 16:39:33 +0000, Sacha wrote:

snip

Italian is, sadly, spoken only in Italy.

It was the fact that Italian is only spoken in Italy that made me ask for an
intensive Italian course.

But it's also the reason it's not a language taught as a primary foreign
language in English schools. I started French at 4 but that might be
because I lived in a place with strong French connections. There was no
choice of other language to learn until I went to boarding school in England
at 13 and could have done Spanish or German, neither of which appealed to
me, so I stuck to French.
Having some Italian would probably be useful to budding gardeners because of
its affinity with Latin, though!

More use is just to learn Latin! Direct link to gardening, and it makes
so many other languages so much easier.

But only if you know you're going to go into horticulture or medicine, I
suppose! At least with modern Italian you could talk to people in that most
beautiful of languages (IMO) and get a bit of plantlife into the little grey
cells, too!
I remember doing one term of Latin at school. To me, bits of that link up
with bits of the French and Italian I've picked up. The other day someone
was talking about Mimosa pudica and I recalled that the 'pudica' bit was
linked with 'pudere', shyness or modesty and of course, it's the plant whose
leaves curl up when touched. It's of no real use to me to know that but I
quite enjoy it when the memory kicks out something that might come in
useful.

Old 23-02-2009, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/2/09 15:50, in article , "K"
wrote:

Sacha writes
On 22/2/09 18:18, in article
, "K"
wrote:

More use is just to learn Latin! Direct link to gardening, and it makes
so many other languages so much easier.

But only if you know you're going to go into horticulture or medicine, I
suppose! At least with modern Italian you could talk to people in that most
beautiful of languages (IMO) and get a bit of plantlife into the little grey
cells, too!
I remember doing one term of Latin at school. To me, bits of that link up
with bits of the French and Italian I've picked up. The other day someone
was talking about Mimosa pudica and I recalled that the 'pudica' bit was
linked with 'pudere', shyness or modesty and of course, it's the plant whose
leaves curl up when touched. It's of no real use to me to know that but I
quite enjoy it when the memory kicks out something that might come in
useful.

I've been very glad of my latin in understanding unfamiliar words even
in English, though it's obviously even more use for Italian, Spanish and
Portuguese.

otoh, higher level maths is really useful for modern greek ;-)

Ugh - maths! I'll take your word for that. I really, really wish I had
your brain for maths - numbers terrify me thanks to bad teaching and a
bullying teacher.

Old 24-02-2009, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/2/09 08:17, in article ,
" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha wrote:
On 23/2/09 15:50, in article , "K"
wrote:

I've been very glad of my latin in understanding unfamiliar words even
in English, though it's obviously even more use for Italian, Spanish and
Portuguese.

otoh, higher level maths is really useful for modern greek ;-)

Ugh - maths! I'll take your word for that. I really, really wish I had
your brain for maths - numbers terrify me thanks to bad teaching and a
bullying teacher.

Only the most elementary mathematics involves much handling of numbers.
However, nobody gets far in advanced mathematics (by which I do NOT
mean A-level) without being a born mathematician. I had a run in with
a particular disability trainer, who claimed that mathematics was a
simple, trainable skill that anyone could learn if they put the effort
in. The word "hogwash" springs to mind - I have spent enough of my
time teaching fairly elementary mathematics to people without any
mathematical background to know just how hard the concepts can be for
people who don't naturally think that way.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Well, I can add up a column figures in a trice and rarely make a mistake
because we were taught mental arithmetic so young that I barely remember
learning it. But maths is a closed book for me and I freely admit to being
a real idiot about it. I didn't even take Maths O level - it was either me
or the teacher and I think they thought the teacher was rather more useful!

Old 26-02-2009, 12:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

from Martin contains these words:

Que?

Sacha is the person you are looking for.

That's an awful lot of quoting for such a miniscule reply...

--
Rusty

Old 26-02-2009, 12:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:

I don't know how I got into this! But yes, you're right. I should point
out that I can shop, ask directions, catch a train, eat in Italian but
conversing over any period of time is beyond me! My ex-mil was Italian and
so is my sister in law so I've picked a bit up through osmosis but not
enough to speak it.

Me too. I blame those who sent me on an intensive French course
(twice!!!), when
I asked to do an intensive Italian course.

Which language did you ask in?

--
Rusty
Old 26-02-2009, 01:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Italian is, sadly, spoken only in Italy.

And Hornchurch.

--
Rusty
Old 26-02-2009, 01:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 16:39:33 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Italian is, sadly, spoken only in Italy.

It was the fact that Italian is only spoken in Italy that made me ask for an
intensive Italian course.

Has anyone told you yet that you aren't actually *IN* Italy?

--
Rusty
Old 26-02-2009, 01:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

I got sega dell' arco from my dictionary but not the
adjustable bit.

Sega del' arco tuisti/scrui?

--
Rusty
Old 26-02-2009, 01:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Ugh - maths! I'll take your word for that. I really, really wish I had
your brain for maths - numbers terrify me thanks to bad teaching and a
bullying teacher.

We had a bullying teacher once - he lasted just one term. He just chose
the wrong school to try it on. If he'd stayed any longer he'd have gone
(more) bonkers.

--
Rusty

Bow Tie Vine Flower-6865 BarbaraH[_2_] Garden Photos 5 27-01-2015 08:39 AM
compound bow? symplastless Gardening 1 14-12-2007 02:01 PM
Choosing a Lawn Mower with swivel casters or NOT Jmn Gardening 1 02-06-2005 10:50 PM
All-Glass CF 110W Light Strip for 46 Bow Front Tank 10,000K? Markyt Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 09-12-2003 05:32 PM
Hoe with 2" blade? HH Gardening 4 25-03-2003 02:20 AM