Old 05-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
I've Googled for pics and I'm not sure it is wild garlic. I saw biggish
plants with wide flat leaves and white star flowers.
The plant is more like snowdrop size, with a white snowdrop size flower
and has a very strong garlic smell. It is growing like a carpet in an
adjacent wooded area.

The bulbs are comparable to snowdrops but probably smaller.
It grows a lot faster and is more promiscous (?) than snowdrops and seems
to like my lawn.
Check out Allium paradoxum, or few-flowered leek, an invasive weed.

My parents have an incredibly invasive small onion weed in their Somerset garden, I suspect this is the thing.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wild Garlic

On Mar 5, 12:05*am, "mark" wrote:

Oh, I wish I could have a bit of it. The last 30 yards of my garden I call
my wood, ash trees, fruit trees and big hawthorns, It's full of snowdrops
and things woodlike, but wild garlic I want for it!
Send some to me.

Tina

Be very careful what you wish for, once you have it, you can never get
rid of it, it spreads everywhere. If you could take all mine away I
would love you forever! Incidently there seems to be a larger and
smaller version. The larger is not too bad, the smaller is really
pernicious.

Any idea what the smaller one is called as it seems that's the one I've got?

The smaller one is the one I have always called wild garlic. it is the
more pungent of the two. Unfortunately for me I cannot stand the smell
of garlic!
Old 05-03-2009, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.sheds

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 08:43:08 -0000
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

We'll see Nige on here next. :-)

IRTA as Nilges and got worried for a moment.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith | Directable Mirror Arrays
C:WIN | A better way to focus the sun
Old 05-03-2009, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Star of Bethlehem - leaves very like crocus, narrow, with a white strap
down the centre.

I think you probably have Allium triquatrium - triangular-stemmed
garlic, which flowers now, and seems to fit your description:

Here's one I prepared earlier...

http://www.users. zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/temp/garden/triquatrum1.jpg

http://www.users. zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/temp/garden/triquatrum2.jpg

http://www.users. zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/temp/garden/triquatrum3.jpg

3 views - all around 100 KB so you can download them and blow them up a
bit if needs be.

--
Rusty
Old 05-03-2009, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from moghouse contains these words:
On Mar 5, 12:05*am, "mark" wrote:

Oh, I wish I could have a bit of it. The last 30 yards of my
garden I call
my wood, ash trees, fruit trees and big hawthorns, It's full of
snowdrops
and things woodlike, but wild garlic I want for it!
Send some to me.

Be very careful what you wish for, once you have it, you can never get
rid of it, it spreads everywhere. If you could take all mine away I
would love you forever! Incidently there seems to be a larger and
smaller version. The larger is not too bad, the smaller is really
pernicious.

Any idea what the smaller one is called as it seems that's the one
I've got?

The smaller one is the one I have always called wild garlic. it is the
more pungent of the two. Unfortunately for me I cannot stand the smell
of garlic!

Console yourself that Nutrimat it smells almost entirely differently
/Nutrimat

I think I ought to be passing *YOU* over to Marc (not Mark) innit.

--
Rusty

Old 05-03-2009, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.sheds

The message
from "Dave Larrington" contains these words:
In . uk,
Rusty_Hinge tweaked the
Babbage-Engine to
tell us:

Is that reepham in Norfolk, or a surname?

As ye sow, so shall ye Reepham?

As ye Soham, Shirley?

--
Rusty
Old 05-03-2009, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.sheds,uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Richard Robinson contains these words:
Dave Larrington said:
In . uk,
Rusty_Hinge tweaked the
Babbage-Engine to
tell us:

Is that reepham in Norfolk, or a surname?

As ye sow, so shall ye Reepham?

As ye Soham, so shall ye Reepham ?

Soham Rays!

--
Rusty
Old 05-03-2009, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Mel
writes

"mark" wrote

I've Googled for pics and I'm not sure it is wild garlic. I saw biggish
plants with wide flat leaves and white star flowers.
The plant is more like snowdrop size, with a white snowdrop size flower
and has a very strong garlic smell. It is growing like a carpet in an
adjacent wooded area.

Is it this: http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.c...rneredleek.htm

I transplanted a small clump of what I call wild garlic from a country
park into my garden and planted some in two places.
It is just sprouting, and will eventually look like this:

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/wildgarlic.htm
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 05-03-2009, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"moghouse" wrote in message
On Mar 4, 7:56 pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"mark" wrote in message

et... I've got a lot of
it!
Some are about to flower.
I'd like some recommendations on how to get rid of it?
Alternatively, anyone got any recipes that use wild garlic?

Oh, I wish I could have a bit of it. The last 30 yards of my garden I call
my wood, ash trees, fruit trees and big hawthorns, It's full of snowdrops
and things woodlike, but wild garlic I want for it!
Send some to me.

Tina

Be very careful what you wish for, once you have it, you can never get
rid of it, it spreads everywhere. If you could take all mine away I
would love you forever! Incidently there seems to be a larger and
smaller version. The larger is not too bad, the smaller is really
pernicious
___________

It probably would not hurt in my wood. I would eat it faster than it
spreads ;-)

Tina

Old 05-03-2009, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.sheds

"Austin Shackles" wrote in
message ...
On or around Wed, 4 Mar 2009 20:41:09 -0000, "mark"
enlightened us thusly:

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
o.uk...
The message
from "mark" contains these words:

Is that reepham in Norfolk, or a surname?

I've got a lot of it!
Some are about to flower.
I'd like some recommendations on how to get rid of it?

Dig it up and send it to Marc Wilson?

Alternatively, anyone got any recipes that use wild garlic?

Leaves good in salads, bulbs excellent in casseroles, roast meat,
pickles, etc.

Crossposted to The Shed FTI of Znep...

--

Why the cross posting?
Yes, Reepham in Norfolk

'ere, it's the gardening types.

Mornin', Gardeners. That reminds me, must have a look at what we're meant
to do with the "challenge" blue poppy seeds. "Challenge", 'cos of the
instructions for growing them... you're supposed to plant them at the
winter
solstice with a black cat in your left hand at midnight or something.
Then
you refuse to let them flower the first year by removing any flower
buds...

summat like that, anyway.

Crossposts make life interesting.
------------------------------------------------\

Hi Austin you never know who turns up next in URG

DerekW
(not a Disco in site)

Old 05-03-2009, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Christina Websell" contains
these words:
wrote:
"mark" wrote in message

[...]

Your newsreader is broken - it's not quoting - leaving out indents.

--
Rusty
Old 05-03-2009, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"echinosum" wrote in message

mark;832256 Wrote:
I've Googled for pics and I'm not sure it is wild garlic. I saw biggish

plants with wide flat leaves and white star flowers.
The plant is more like snowdrop size, with a white snowdrop size
flower
and has a very strong garlic smell. It is growing like a carpet in an

adjacent wooded area.

The bulbs are comparable to snowdrops but probably smaller.
It grows a lot faster and is more promiscous (?) than snowdrops and
seems
to like my lawn.

Check out Allium paradoxum, or few-flowered leek, an invasive weed.

My parents have an incredibly invasive small onion weed in their
Somerset garden, I suspect this is the thing.

I think you are right.
I googled pics of Allium Paradoxum and it looks like what I've got. Thank
you
Also known as 'few flowered garlic'.

It is very rare in Northern Ireland
http://www.habitas.org.uk/flora/species.asp?item=2204

mark

Old 06-03-2009, 12:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
"mark" wrote in message

[...]

It does that sometimes. It will be ok soon, never been able to understand
why or sort it out.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.sheds

On 5 Mar, 23:20, "DerekW"
wrote:

Hi Austin you never know who turns up next in URG

DerekW

But can you ever leave?
Old 06-03-2009, 01:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

It's a bit too early for wild garlic/ramsons, which usually flowers
from April to May. I strongly suspect the plant in question is Allium
triquetrum (Three-cornered Leek) which has become widely naturalised
in the south and is gradually extending north. It is very common
around here forming large clumps in uncultivated ground. It is
invasive and probably not recommended for inclusion in small gardens
unless rigorously controlled. The bulbs can be used as a substitute
for shallots (albeit very small ones), the leaves are quite pleasant
if chopped and added to salads and the edible flowers can be included
for a bit of visual interest as well.

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Wild Garlic Jon United Kingdom 102 13-05-2003 09:56 PM
Wild Garlic and back to bluebells non-scripta Hussein M. United Kingdom 2 09-05-2003 06:46 PM
Wild garlic Chris Hogg United Kingdom 0 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
wild garlic/onion. Terry Lynton United Kingdom 2 17-11-2002 02:09 AM