Old 07-04-2009, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chicken Manure

I have an Eglu which has a tray at the bottom which slides out for
cleaning. The booklet suggests once a week and I am wondering whether
I should put the droppings into the compost barrels or can it go
straight onto the earth between plants without scorching?

Judith
Old 07-04-2009, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 7, 10:48*pm, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 14:40:33 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
I have an Eglu which has a tray at the bottom which slides out for
cleaning. *The booklet suggests once a week and I am wondering whether
I should put the droppings into the compost barrels or can it go
straight onto the earth between plants without scorching?

Have you got a chicken too?
--

Martin

3, Martin, lovely red things. You will remember it was through an
urgler that I got the Eglu, which reminds me Mary Fisher also has one
but she hasn't posted for some time???

Judith
Old 07-04-2009, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith in France wrote:
I have an Eglu which has a tray at the bottom which slides out for
cleaning. The booklet suggests once a week and I am wondering whether
I should put the droppings into the compost barrels or can it go
straight onto the earth between plants without scorching?

Judith

Chicken manure is very strong, it would burn your plants, and there
is some question of a possible salmonella risk Add it to a compost
heap and it will help to hasten the process. Never use fresh but allow
it time to rot down with other compost.

Bobbie
Old 07-04-2009, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I have an Eglu which has a tray at the bottom which slides out for
cleaning. The booklet suggests once a week and I am wondering whether
I should put the droppings into the compost barrels or can it go
straight onto the earth between plants without scorching?

Judith

I have chickens, but always compost the droppings as it speeds up the
heap,and fresh can burn plants!
--
"Why can't I get huge amounts of money for screwing up??"

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper
200TDi Disco "The big purple one"
200 TDi Disco, "the offroader"
1976 S3 Lightweight
Old 07-04-2009, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/4/09 22:40, in article
, "Judith
in France" wrote:

I have an Eglu which has a tray at the bottom which slides out for
cleaning. The booklet suggests once a week and I am wondering whether
I should put the droppings into the compost barrels or can it go
straight onto the earth between plants without scorching?

Judith

It needs to be diluted and not used 'neat'.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-04-2009, 05:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
I have an Eglu which has a tray at the bottom which slides out for
cleaning. The booklet suggests once a week and I am wondering whether
I should put the droppings into the compost barrels or can it go
straight onto the earth between plants without scorching?

I use my fowl manure straight on the garden, but I don't put it onto tiny
seedlings or near the trunk of plants - I don't have time to faff about
heaping it up to 'age'.

IIRC, you have a moderate sized garden??? If that recall is right, you will
have somewhere in the garden where you could use the manure collected from 3
hens over a one week period without any danger to existing plants - just use
some common sense in where you apply it.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/4/09 08:25, in article ,
"Aries" wrote:

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 14:40:33 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France wrote:

I have an Eglu which has a tray at the bottom which slides out for
cleaning. The booklet suggests once a week and I am wondering whether
I should put the droppings into the compost barrels or can it go
straight onto the earth between plants without scorching?

Judith

I always add chicken manure to compost but not use it until the following
year as when it's fresh it's much too strong.

Or dilute it in a bucket (water butt?) and use it as a liquid feed. As an
aside, a year after we moved our chickens to another patch, we planted
potatoes where they'd been and had a superb crop!

Old 08-04-2009, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 7, 10:53*pm, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 14:49:31 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
I have an Eglu which has a tray at the bottom which slides out for
cleaning. The booklet suggests once a week and I am wondering whether
I should put the droppings into the compost barrels or can it go
straight onto the earth between plants without scorching?

Have you got a chicken too?
--

Martin

3, *Martin, lovely red things. *

Rhode Island Reds? My parents had those when I was a kid.

How did you get the Eglu to France in the end?

You will remember it was through an
urgler that I got the Eglu, which reminds me Mary Fisher also has one
but she hasn't posted for some time???

--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

It was delivered to my daughter's and I drove to spend a week with my
family in Edward's car which is a big estate, the 3 back seats fold
down. It was a bit of a squeeze as the run is quite large, it comes
in sections but is big. I love the lime green colour.

Judith
Old 08-04-2009, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
I have an Eglu which has a tray at the bottom which slides out for
cleaning. *The booklet suggests once a week and I am wondering whether
I should put the droppings into the compost barrels or can it go
straight onto the earth between plants without scorching?

Judith

I have chickens, but always compost the droppings as it speeds up the
heap,and fresh can burn plants!
--
"Why can't I get huge amounts of money for screwing up??"

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper
200TDi Disco "The big purple one"
200 TDi Disco, "the offroader"
1976 S3 Lightweight

Thanks Simon, I had a feeling that it should not be used fresh.

Judith
Old 08-04-2009, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 7, 11:52*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 7/4/09 22:40, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
I have an Eglu which has a tray at the bottom which slides out for
cleaning. *The booklet suggests once a week and I am wondering whether
I should put the droppings into the compost barrels or can it go
straight onto the earth between plants without scorching?

Judith

It needs to be diluted and not used 'neat'.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

I am hoping then that it will speed up my compost bins as they are not
doing too well despite an accelerator being applied.

Judith

Old 08-04-2009, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 8, 5:32*am, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in ...

I have an Eglu which has a tray at the bottom which slides out for
cleaning. *The booklet suggests once a week and I am wondering whether
I should put the droppings into the compost barrels or can it go
straight onto the earth between plants without scorching?

I use my fowl manure straight on the garden, but I don't put it onto tiny
seedlings or near the trunk of plants - I don't have time to faff about
heaping it up to 'age'.

IIRC, you have a moderate sized garden??? *If that recall is right, you will
have somewhere in the garden where you could use the manure collected from 3
hens over a one week period without any danger to existing plants - just use
some common sense in where you apply it.

Thanks Fran, good common sense, as you say. My garden is about one
third of an acre so not large. We have land opposite the house which
we have started to cultivate as a veggie and fruit garden, in fact
this is where the hens are kept.

Judith
Old 08-04-2009, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 8, 8:25*am, Aries wrote:
On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 14:40:33 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France wrote:
I have an Eglu which has a tray at the bottom which slides out for
cleaning. *The booklet suggests once a week and I am wondering whether
I should put the droppings into the compost barrels or can it go
straight onto the earth between plants without scorching?

Judith

I always add chicken manure to compost but not use it until the following
year as when it's fresh it's much too strong.
--
Words are loaded pistols. - Jean-Paul Sartrehttp://valwrite.livejournal.com/

Thanks Val, all advice gratefully received. I am feeling pretty
grotty today and will turn off the computer soon but I would like to
email you a little later on to ask some advice on something relating
to the chooks if I may?

Judith
Old 08-04-2009, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 8, 9:35*am, Sacha wrote:
On 8/4/09 08:25, in article ,

"Aries" wrote:
On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 14:40:33 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France wrote:

I have an Eglu which has a tray at the bottom which slides out for
cleaning. *The booklet suggests once a week and I am wondering whether
I should put the droppings into the compost barrels or can it go
straight onto the earth between plants without scorching?

Judith

I always add chicken manure to compost but not use it until the following
year as when it's fresh it's much too strong.

Or dilute it in a bucket (water butt?) and use it as a liquid feed. * As an
aside, a year after we moved our chickens to another patch, we planted
potatoes where they'd been and had a superb crop!

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Goodness, I wonder if I could do that and water all my pots and
hanging baskets with that eventually?

Judith
Old 08-04-2009, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 8, 2:38*pm, Aries wrote:
On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 01:45:55 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France wrote:
On Apr 8, 8:25 am, Aries wrote:
[12 quoted lines suppressed]

Thanks Val, all advice gratefully received. *I am feeling pretty
grotty today and will turn off the computer soon but I would like to
email you a little later on to ask some advice on something relating
to the chooks if I may?

Judith

Sure - I'll be working on my new lappy later on this afternoon. *We've been
out and about this morning as I needed new photos for my passport renewal
and one of two other bibs and bobs too. *Going out into the garden now for
a spell as it's gloriously warm and sunny - must make the most of it.

Sorry to hear you are feeling unwell - what's the problem ?
--
We're so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us
that we don't take time to enjoy where we are.http://ariesval.co.uk/val/

Hi Val, I am just home. I am suffering from some sort of infection,
nothing too important, running eyes and nose and itchy eyes, I
wondered if it was an allergic reaction to the chooks but Edward has
seen to them today so maybe it is just a common cold with a
temperature.

I was planning to have a quiet day. Edward was working at the
hospital when I got a phone call from a friend whose wife was in the
Clinique at Issoire for the dreaded colonoscopy as she has been having
problems. He asked if I could come as the doctor wanted to see him at
a certain time and his French is not up to it, they only recently came
to live in France. I warned him that I could be infectious but he was
so worried that I went and kept a distance from him, her and the
doctor. I duly translated the results and now I am about to crawl off
to bed. I will email tomorrow with regard to the chooks, who gave us
2 eggs today, I wonder when we will get 3?

Judith